Is it legal?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

Is it legal?

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Hello.
Is it legal that we organize a (rapid) rated event and regiater it only after it takes place?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Is it legal?

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:59 pm

It's certainly against FIDE regulations. It might end up being rated if FIDE are very kind to you.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:31 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:59 pm
It's certainly against FIDE regulations. It might end up being rated if FIDE are very kind to you.
So what are the possible penalties?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:44 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:31 pm
The national Federations are the gatekeepers for FIDE rating. One obvious penalty is that the tournament doesn't get rated.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Any other penalties?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm
Hello.
Is it legal that we organize a (rapid) rated event and regiater it only after it takes place?
You would have to have very convincing reasons for not having registered it seven days in advance, as the regulations require. FIDE are concerned that Federations might only submit tournaments for rating when the results suited them.

A few years ago the organiser of a tournament for which I was the arbiter forgot to register it. It took many hours of my time to sort it out, including submitting the entry form to show that we had intended it to be rated and press cuttings to show that it had taken place as we claimed,

Don't try it, please.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:36 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:31 pm
If a Federation regularly tried to register tournaments only after they had taken place, I imagine that FIDE would be likely not to allow them to submit any events for rating.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:16 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Hello.
You would have to have very convincing reasons for not having registered it seven days in advance, as the regulations require. FIDE are concerned that Federations might only submit tournaments for rating when the results suited them.

A few years ago the organiser of a tournament for which I was the arbiter forgot to register it. It took many hours of my time to sort it out, including submitting the entry form to show that we had intended it to be rated and press cuttings to show that it had taken place as we claimed,

Don't try it, please.
Like what convincing reasons sir?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:40 am

Why not say what reasons you think you could possibly have for not registering in advance!?

Then it would be possible to say if they might be convincing, or not.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:22 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:16 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Hello.

Don't try it, please.
Like what convincing reasons sir?
The circumstances would need to be exceptional. An example would be if the Rating Officer had been unable to register the event because he was in hospital.

I have the same difficulty as John McKenna. I can't see why an organiser would not be willing to register a tournament in advance.