Latest News Sponsorship Pack

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Carl Hibbard

Latest News Sponsorship Pack

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:44 am

Here is the latest news (doing the rounds...) with some rough timescales for people to read

Thoughts and feedback welcomed :)
Attachments
Chess for Schools - Sponsorship Pack.pdf
(168.83 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Re: Latest News Sponsorship Pack

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:48 am

The quote being sent with it is:

A major new nationwide initiative called Chess for Schools is about to launch in the UK.

Chess for Schools aims to put 10 free chess sets into every one of England’s 25,000 schools in an effort to promote brain-games and strategic thinking in our youth. The initiative is in the process of being registered as a UK charity.

So far, around 8,000 schools have signed up to the scheme and we have carried out several pilot launches in Surrey, Hampshire and Oxfordshire to provide schools in those areas with their free chess sets.

The charity bit is new information I think?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:15 pm

A quote from the brochure:

"The Aim:
To create school chess clubs and inter-school chess tournaments."

I'm sorry but I consider this misguided. The first aim should be to provide high quality step-by-step chess education in schools. I spent 15 years of my life running school chess clubs. I eventually gave up because it was clear that, while children enjoyed the clubs and did well in the short term, if anything they put children off developing a long-term interest in the game.

In other countries school chess is skill-based, not competition-based. We should be working towards the same thing here.

By the way, I notice that the board is the wrong way round in the photographs on pages 2 and 3 of the brochure.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:34 pm

Really it's the same old stuff with the idea of registering as a charity thrown in to delay things a bit. The truth is Holloid will produce 10,000, 250,000 or 8,000,000 free sets, but only if somebody pays for them!
It really it is time for a statement from the ECF, just to clarify where they think this project is going.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:It really it is time for a statement from the ECF, just to clarify where they think this project is going.
I don't quite read it like that (although it isn't clear...) but it does day "Nationwide Distribution" during September does it not?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Holloid state distribution starts in September.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:01 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:The charity bit is new information I think?
It doesn't say they intend to apply for charitable status. I think it just means that Chess for Schools is a philanthropic project.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:The charity bit is new information I think?
It doesn't say they intend to apply for charitable status. I think it just means that Chess for Schools is a philanthropic project.
The source email does even if it's not specifically mentioned in the release :?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:It really it is time for a statement from the ECF, just to clarify where they think this project is going.
I agree competely.

Moreover, I've commented on another thread that Chris Majer will need to make a personal statement if he agrees to accept nomination for re-election as Chief Executive.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:23 pm

I have asked Andrew Farthing for a statement following his visit with David Anderton to Holloid on the 24th but as of yet there has been no response :(
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:05 pm

It now seems that £250,000 in sponsorship is needed for these "free" chess sets for the 10,000 schools who have already registered to receive them. Does anybody know where this sponsorship money is coming from or what the plan is to raise it? What happens if no sponsorship is forthcoming? Does Holloid and the ECF just say sorry to those schools? Is there a plan B?

At £2.50 a set this may still represent a good opportunity to encourage chess in schools, but this is hardly the scheme as originally announced ...

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:It now seems that £250,000 in sponsorship is needed for these "free" chess sets for the 10,000 schools who have already registered to receive them. Does anybody know where this sponsorship money is coming from or what the plan is to raise it? What happens if no sponsorship is forthcoming? Does Holloid and the ECF just say sorry to those schools? Is there a plan B?

At £2.50 a set this may still represent a good opportunity to encourage chess in schools, but this is hardly the scheme as originally announced ...
I still read it as Holloid providing now 8,000 schools at 10 a pop and this press release is to cover the rest?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:26 pm

There is (IMHO) a very telling line of text in this press release that yet to be mentioned here, which is this :
This is a genuinely philanthropic project that is both socially and environmentally friendly
It would appear to me somewhat strange for HP to declare this project as
genuinely philanthropic
Surely it is up to readers of the PR to decide this for themselves.

Is this the main strap line for this project I wonder?
Last edited by John Upham on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Well, I have seen some PR puff in my time - but "already endorsed by Parliament" - "government taking an active interest". Those are simply lies aren't they. This is simply a piece of PR trying to encourage sponsors - cos there ain't the money. If I am wrong, I would be pleased for someone to tell me.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:28 pm

Carl,
I read it in the same way as Mike. The release says

250,000 chess sets = 120 tonnes of reclaimed, recycled and out-of-specification plastic.

This is where you come in: The 120 tonnes of plastic required is to be donated through sponsors as either plastic or a monetary donation.

The implication of this (if I understand it correctly) is that donations are required from school number 1.