Latest News Sponsorship Pack

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Latest News Sponsorship Pack

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:The implication of this (if I understand it correctly) is that donations are required from school number 1.
Perhaps I am reading between the lines?

It's clear that the ECF do not wish to make a statement on this project and are probably waiting for the AGM to clarify matters futher - this is poor :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Mike Gunn wrote: At £2.50 a set this may still represent a good opportunity to encourage chess in schools
Except that you could import this number of sets from China for less than that. If that's what this project has become (and I say if) then the ECF should walk away now.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:I suspect much has been going on behind the scenes and no doubt Chris has done a sterling job to try and salvage something but in respect of this project silence is not golden
I still believe that the Holloid project is not dead in the water but the ECF communication is shocking

It would be possible (for me...) to increase the search engine listing of this site beyond the level of the ECF site causing major problems if this lack of communication is ongoing :wink:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:38 am

It is quite difficult for the ECF to say anything (positive). Holloid are consistently portraying themselves as philanthropic by donating free chess sets to Schools. However, when you read between the lines, Holloid are merely offering to mass produce chess sets if somebody pays for them (and somebody else donates the raw materials?).
Yes, there are some interesting possibilities, for instance a sponsor could put chess sets in 40 local Schools for a £1,000 (distribution is of course an issue) and possibly Holloid's publicity people could help them get good local exposure. However, I still feel it is extremely difficult to make progress with the project when Holloid are being economical with the truth.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Its is a sorry state of affairs that in 2009 the ECF fails to use the media tools available to communicate in a meaningfull way with those interested in our game. This forum should never have been removed as an official arm of the ECF because is the ideal mechanism for imparting real information rather than the bland lacking in detail news items that appears (or not as the case may be) on the ECF official webb site.
This forum was removed after a "request" from Holloid and the ridiculous claim of the CEO that sponsors were lost because of it :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:10 am

The pdf clearly states that production of the sets has taken place in August and is continuing to take place in September, followed by the commencement of nationwide distribution. I have retained a very close interest in the project because the new Certificate of Merit scheme is still intended to link in to the projected distribution and raise revenue for junior chess.

I am presently in Italy at the European Youth Championships as one of the English coaches. Each parent paid a large sum just to get themselves and their children here. We need some funding to help these people.

There are many other worthwhile projects like this all over the country,desperately in need of financial help.

I hope that there are no further delays and the timeline as stated in the pdf is translated into reality.

Greetings from Porto San Giorgio

Andrew
Last edited by andrew martin on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:28 am

andrew martin wrote:The pdf clearly states that production of the sets has taken place in August and is contiunuing to take place in September, followed by the commencement of nationwide distribution. I have retained a very close interest in the project because the new Certificate of Merit scheme is still intended to link in to the projected distribution and raise revenue for junior chess.
Cool, so distribution will start during the next three weeks remaining in September then - that is good news :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:32 am

Cool is not the word I would use, I want ACTION.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:36 am

andrew martin wrote:Cool is not the word I would use, I want ACTION.
Ah sorry Andrew, I took your previous post as a statement of fact rather than (as you have now edited...) a "hope" that the PDF statement is true :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:44 am

This is the same guff and bluster we have been hearing for the last 12 months.
In that statement put out there is not 1 single guarantee from holoroid plastics it is just more smoke and mirrors.
It is now starting to look like unless the ECF come up with the money this project is going nowere fast.And has been stated elsewere it would be less expensive to import the chess sets from China than have hp produce them
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:25 pm

I thought the figure for the Chinese sets was £3 rather than £2.50? And did that include boards?

An advantage of the Chinese option is some guarantee that the sets would actually appear within a few months, at least!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:02 pm

prices fluctuate with exchange rates as you have to pay in US dollars . Currently I would expect a set, bag and board to cost less than £2.50. That includes purchase, shipping, import duty and VAT.

If anyone has a quarter of a million quid going spare we can fill all those empty cupboards with dust attracting chess sets !

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:38 pm

It seems to me the ECF needs a communication director/manager. A comms director should have nothing else to do for the ECF other than communicate unless we want more complaints like these :-
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Its is a sorry state of affairs that in 2009 the ECF fails to use the media tools available to communicate .....
----- I earnestly hope that a change of officials in October brings about a change of mind in respect of how the organisation operates; having this forum made an official part of the means of communication and encouraging all the officfials, not just the current small number, to use us it to help us understand what is going on.
Elsewhere IM Jack Rudd wrote: The ECF did exactly what you might expect them to do, based on past performance. They came up with an excellent rule to make zero default times a rarity in England (and also Scotland and Wales, whose federations worked with the ECF on this), and then failed to make a prominent announcement about it.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:04 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:I thought the figure for the Chinese sets was £3 rather than £2.50? And did that include boards?
Yes, the £3 did include boards.

At the January ECF Board Meeting which I attended as an observer, the Board discussed importing sets and boards from China and offering them to schools at a cost of £30 for 10 units.

Then Henning von Spreckelsen took the helm at Holloid and persuaded the ECF to continue its involvement with his company.

As Sean Hewitt has pointed out, the ECF has derived some benefit from the last eight months. Exchange rate movements have been favourable.

Whether it still makes sense for the ECF to be associated with Holloid is one of the things which the Annual Council Meeting on 17th October will have to decide.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:36 am

There are now just two weeks left for Nationwide Distribution to begin if this documentation released by Holloid is to be believed, chances?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard