Chess for Schools : Memorandum of Understanding

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Sean Hewitt

Re: Chess for Schoolds : Memorandum of Understanding

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:02 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: I live in hope that the Board will have terminated things by then, thus rendering this particular discussion redundant.
Hopefully. But given their reluctance to agree to this undertaking, I wouldn't bet on it. Of course, some new board members at the AGM may take a different view :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:21 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:We don't seem to have heard very much recently about the thousands of sets that Holloid were supposed to be producing by the end of July, using their brand new machines. Have they actually manufactured any sets since the April Council Meeting?
Does anyone from the ECF have any more details they can share?

Adam?

Or of course Andrew Walker (the ECF webmaster) as he is responsible for this one now?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: Does anyone from the ECF have any more details they can share?

Adam?

Or of course Andrew Walker (the ECF webmaster) as he is responsible for this one now?
I've just asked AW the following :
Andrew,

Have their been any recent regular updates from Holloid Plastics?

I think the last weekly update was a couple of months ago?

Who sends them to you from HP?

All the best,

John
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:We don't seem to have heard very much recently about the thousands of sets that Holloid were supposed to be producing by the end of July, using their brand new machines. Have they actually manufactured any sets since the April Council Meeting?
Does anyone from the ECF have any more details they can share?

Adam?

All I will say is that if you google this topic, you get (for instance) threads on moneysavingexpert.com asking questions from teachers such as 'Is this a scam?'

I think that says it all. I will be standing again, and won't be 'in favour' of CfS. But if somebody wants to produce sets, and we can help them distribute them to schools, why not? But we can't afford to spend anything more on projects like this. We need to make money, and streamline the processes we currently use to deliver the things that players want from the ECF - like grading.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: I will be standing again, and won't be 'in favour' of CfS. But if somebody wants to produce sets, and we can help them distribute them to schools, why not? But we can't afford to spend anything more on projects like this. We need to make money, and streamline the processes we currently use to deliver the things that players want from the ECF - like grading.
Glad to hear that, although producing the sets is only one part of the issue as we know only too well. The apparent failure of the instigators of the project to consider the costs and logistics of distributing sets to schools has been as much to blame for the disaster as the manufacturer's failure to produce the sets.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:20 pm

I was curious by Adam's post, so did a bit of Googling...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=2534327
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... p?t=842747

Perhaps not the best form of marketing for English Chess...

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Malcolm Pein told the London League AGM that he is raising funds for a charity bringing chess (free chess sets and coaching) into schools in deprived areas - parts of London, Birmingham and Liverpool and elsewhere. He was also looking for chess coaches - with CRB clearance - to support that work. This is quite separate from any ECF initiative and anyone interested in coaching should contact Malcolm. Apologies if this is old news!?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:14 pm

David Gilbert wrote:Malcolm Pein told the London League AGM that he is raising funds for a charity bringing chess (free chess sets and coaching) into schools in deprived areas - parts of London, Birmingham and Liverpool and elsewhere. He was also looking for chess coaches - with CRB clearance - to support that work. This is quite separate from any ECF initiative and anyone interested in coaching should contact Malcolm. Apologies if this is old news!?
Please see http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 404#p31404

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:11 pm

It's close to the end of July but I have no seen no further details on this project, anyone else got anything to report?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:It's close to the end of July but I have no seen no further details on this project, anyone else got anything to report?
There is a Board Meeting in Canterbury on Saturday, conveniently, the 31st July. Deadline day. I'm sure it'll be discussed at that, along with British Championship stuff.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:23 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:There is a Board Meeting in Canterbury on Saturday, conveniently, the 31st July. Deadline day. I'm sure it'll be discussed at that, along with British Championship stuff.
What happened with this one does anyone know?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:03 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: What happened with this one does anyone know?
I would imagine that AR will update us shortly as to the outcome from the board meeting on this matter.

Maybe (of the entire board) only the CEO has any knowledge of the current state of affairs with CfS and HP?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:05 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:There is a Board Meeting in Canterbury on Saturday, conveniently, the 31st July. Deadline day. I'm sure it'll be discussed at that, along with British Championship stuff.
What happened with this one does anyone know?
I wasn't at the Canterbury meeting so I can't help on this occasion. :oops:

Carl Hibbard

Re: Chess for Schools : Memorandum of Understanding

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Let's hope this fiasco has not been allowed to continue?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ljubica Lazarevic

Re: Chess for Schools : Memorandum of Understanding

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:43 am

Looks like the final nail in the coffin has been firmly installed... http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?p=6564