Are you ready for the Chess for Schools Project

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Charles W. Wood

Are you ready for the Chess for Schools Project

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:49 am

I have asked many people if their Association is ready for the Chess for Schools Project, apart from the 4 items they need to adopt from the Chess for Schools thread there has been a number of Associations who do not even pay tax on their income. Please read.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/organisa ... _jul07.htm

The Inland Revenue has put a statement out that all non Ltd company structures are being inspected over the next year. All Associations that have not paid their full tax allowence the IR will take that monies from the membership after it has charged the "Association" funds. In some areas thats 250 people paying for a £10,000 tax bill, in some areas of London that bill is £25,000+ If we don't address this. Please be aware that this is coming. IR checking other Association people now(one I konw of is Cross Country Running clubs) and will be asking for our account books soon. Some Associations are shutting down the old "Chess Association" and making the "Association" a Ltd Company with a view of making them legal, there are three main Ltd options; PLC, Ltd Company or Social Enterprise. If your really lucky they will not find you, but thats only if you don't have a web site, or any web foot print. :evil:

Call me for advice, but it maybe best to talk to your Bank Manager or an Independant Advisor.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

raycollett

Re: Are you ready for the Chess for Schools Project

Post by raycollett » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Charles W. Wood wrote:The Inland Revenue has put a statement out that all non Ltd company structures are being inspected over the next year. All Associations that have not paid their full tax allowence the IR will take that monies from the membership after it has charged the "Association" funds.
According to the ECF web page you cite, "Where the annual corporation tax liability of a club is not expected to exceed £100, and the club is run exclusively for the benefit of its own members, then HMRC will prevent the issue of a notices to file returns and treat the club as dormant, subject to review at least every 5 years." The relevant hmrc page is at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ctsa/small-tax-liabilities.htm. If the tax is on an annual surplus, most clubs will not be affected, but I guess unincorporated companies that run tournament events (that is for players who are not members) will be. I would be very interested to see comments from any chess organisers who have been affected, or from players who are corporate-tax-savvy.