Fergus Christie & Holloid Plastics - some news

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
JustinHorton

Re: Fergus Christie & Holloid Plastics - some news

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:07 pm

David Robertson wrote:I find it an odd state of affairs that a reasonable enquiry by a member of the ECF on a matter of general concern should result in an unrestrained and abusive response from an ECF officer. At least the Acting CEO provides direct information, albeit of limited value.

I don't think members of ECF, including myself, press unreasonably when we seek clarification of matters when unsettling news breaks.
No, but there's ways and means.
David Robertson wrote:Or has the whole project gone 't*ts up', leaving an embarrassing crater in the ECF Board's reputation for competence?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Expanding on my previous remarks.

There is a delay in the manufacture of the free chess sets. This is because one of the three tools that Holloid use for making the pieces was damaged. They are now repairing it and making a modification to improve the rate of production. They have two further tools in China for the tiles and board, which will be shipped soon but will require about 5-6 weeks before they become available.

Holloid are arranging some production slots to make sets of pieces as soon as they can but they have to put the welfare of my company and staff ahead of this project. They have undertaken to do their best to make as many sets as they can in the shortest possible time. This is costing Holloid, and indeed their MD personally, considerable sums of money.

A statement on deliveries will be released when the production situation is clear.

The ECF will shortly release details of its support package for schools. This will include:

· Teaching DVD

· Copies of the ECF Guide To Chess

· Chess in the Classroom

· Information regarding Certificate of Merit

· “The Right Move” – Monthly magazine circulated by e-mail, aimed at young players. It includes puzzles that can be downloaded for solving in the school club and details of coming events and courses.

· Assistant Coach / ECF Membership

· Other items TBC
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:14 am

Thank you for letting us know, Chris. It's much appreciated.

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:15 pm

Is there going to be a cost to the schools for this additional package if so how much will it be
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 pm

Chris Majer wrote:This is costing Holloid, and indeed their MD personally, considerable sums of money.
Let's hope that this doesn't bring the project to a grinding halt. Outsiders shouldn't be held personally reponsible for an ECF project after all.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks to Chris for emailing the status to the registered schools (I received the email at school today).

One request for information. As SCCU Junior Organiser I'm planning to start an secondary schools knock-out tournamanent in 2009-10. (see brief reference at http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/sccu.htm) Would it be possible for me to have a list of the Secondary Schools in the South East who have registered with Chess for Schools?

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:31 am

Peter Turner wrote:I must say that I find some of the recent exchanges dispressing and unhelpful. When this project first became public knowledge I contacted key people involved to express my concern that it had the capacity to hugely embarrass or indeed bankrupt the ECF. Should storage, handling & distribution costs be say only 50p per set then £125,000 had to be found!! At the moment it may be convenient to blame Holloid for non delivery but I would like some comment/reassurance on the whole issue of delivery of the sets. The basic question I would like to pose is, "Should a lorry full of sets arrive from Holloid tomorrow do we have storage, packing & distribution ready to go?" A further question, "Do we now have to wait for a suitable Director of the Project to be appointed and will he have to start from square one or is there a realistic struction in place?"
I repeat one of my own earlier postings (for those who had spotted my bad maths, I've corrected the 'amount to be found'). We now have a director of the project but since Andrew is on duty with the England team at the World Youth in Vietnam I assume there is not a great deal he can do at the moment. For Charles Wood that is not the case thus as a leading figure charged with realising the project I'd like to ask again, "are we really ready to move as soon as the sets arrive?" In addition I'd like to know, "Is the contract/agreement in place for the boxes for the sets?" "How do the boxes & sets get together and who does the boxing?"
I hope Charles is taking advantage of the next 10 days to 'fine tune' his business plan to present to the Project Director!

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:26 am

The early bird doesn't always catch the worm, Peter - unless of course your suggestions posted at 6.31am today provoked the outcome announced on the other thread by Andrew Martin at 8.06am
I regret to announce the resignation of Charles W Wood from the Chess Sets for Schools project
That's 'regret' in the Edith Piaf sense of the word, I assume

David
Atticus CC