No news is bad news

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Scott Freeman

Re: No news is bad news

Post by Scott Freeman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:36 pm

I have read the comments that followed my last posting with some sadness. Yes, it may prove that I am naive on this matter and yes, the project may blow out of the water. I hope not, but it may turn out to be the case. Time will tell. All I was trying to do was encourage people who I believe genuinely wanted to do something for the good of chess. Unless people believe that their intentions were not genuine, then I don't feel anyone can really criticse me for encouraging them. Sadly, it appears to be the British way to attack or shoot down anyone that tries something new or tries something and fails. :(

Even if it does eventually go wrong, I want to say thank-you to everyone that tried. Maybe mistakes have have been made but if so, let's look to learn from them and not to turn everything into personal attacks on people that may or may not have made them. The concerns that have been expressed about the project, such as in David's reply to my last posting are certainly worthy of consideration from an objective point of view. Maybe he will turn out to be right. But why, oh why, does a huge wave of aggressive emotion have to come with differences of opinion, such as that that has followed the postings referred to above? Let's not make this personal!

At the end of the day, the saddest fact of all to me is that we are discussing these matters now in 2008. This sort of project should have been looked at by the ECF as a body 20-30 years ago. And it is, because of the fact that nothing was done then, that the chess world is now so fragmented with so many people pulling in opposite directions doing their own thing for their own benefit that the English chess scene is in such a mess. Charles Wood was one of a few that was trying to cut his way through that and do something that was genuinely for the good of chess. Even though he has had to resign from the actual project, I know he hopes it will succeed. On the contrary, the established chess scene (especially in our neck of the woods) is full of people are only holding offices to protect people who have put themselves outside the ECF structures and who are therefore unnaccountable but with loads of power on the established chess world. And that is something I think we have to deal with first before we can ever get the structures that English chess needs to move on.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:32 pm

David Robertson wrote:I feel a song coming on. Join in if you like :)

http://www.lyricstime.com/tony-bennet-p ... yrics.html

David
Atticus CC
Would you then class this one as "personal" or just a bit of fun?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:42 pm

I repeat what I said on the other thread: the lyrics are intended, for the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, both as a light-hearted comment and as a heart-felt round of applause at Andrew Martin's fabulous news that Charles W Wood has at long last resigned. I regard this as extremely good news for everyone concerned with chess in this country, and definitely a cue for a song - if not for an entire opera :)

David
Atticus CC

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:33 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:The initial formal press release by the ECF was premature
This may be a reasonable point: I can understand why people who seem to have negotiated something good might want to tell the world about it, but you do stand to look silly if what you've said is going to happen, doesn't subsequently happen.

Regarding the supply of sets, though, it does seem to me that, in a normal situation if a party contracts (formally or otherwise) to supply goods and then fails to do so, it is eccentric to blame the party to whom the goods were to be supplied, unless you have a concrete reason for saying they are at fault.

Normally, for instance, there might be a payment problem, but as I understand it these sets were to be free, so that can't be right. Perhaps there is some sort of other commitment that has not been fulfilled? If anybody can show me that this is so, I'll happily accept this. But I do tend to prefer an approach which tends to privilege evidence over prejudgement and at the moment I'm being offered perhaps a little too much of the latter and perhaps insufficient of the former.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:25 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:there was more involved than a vast amount of free chess sets being handed out.
Not sure what you mean here...
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Whatever the ins and outs of it I just hope that this project gets sorted and soon. I run a chess club for my local first school, ages 5-9. The middle school most of these kids go on to does not have a chess club. I have lost count of the number of conversations I have had with the parents grandparents etc of children I have taught and children themselves bemoaning the lack off a chess club at their new school. One boy has been trying for two years to persuade the school to add chess to the draughts club they have. So I was really pleased last week when the mother of a child in her last year with me said that they had been to an open evening at the middle school and had been told that a chess club would be starting as soon as they had received their free boards! Now I hear the project may not go ahead.

This is in Worcestershire where spending per pupil is the 3rd lowest in the country in a school in a ward which counts as deprived on European criteria. So if they don't get these sets the children will not get their chess club. So lets not forget who will really miss out if this project fails - the children.

Michele Clack

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:00 am

I have recently heard of 2 schools with little chess background who were looking forward to receiving the sets. One is a girls comprehensive, the other a primary school. Both have teachers keen to encourage chess at their school. If the Chess Sets for Schools project fails them then something else must be offered.

In those schools where we do have contact we can do something. I'm arranging for a sixth form student to take sets into the primary school and run a chess club there. This is a no-cost solution, but relies on a suitable volunteer.

Paul Stimpson

Post by Paul Stimpson » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:19 pm

If the Chess Sets for Schools project fails them then something else must be offered.

Neil, this is a good point. I doubt if the list of schools that registered will be made available. But if the delay is going to be considerable as it appears it will, then loan equipment or other gestures from chess organisers at the local level may well help out.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:33 am

Has there been any further movement/news on this one :?:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:01 pm

Yes.

After completing my initial enquiries, I have delegated full responsibility for the production of the sets and liaising with Holloid Plastics to Gerry Walsh and Peter Wilson.

I am sure that further announcements will be made by them shortly.

I would once again like to thank Charles Wood for all his hard work on everyone's behalf. His was a very tough job.

Andrew

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Andrew

That sounds very circumspect of you! One could infer from your post that you want to have nothing to do with a project that's heading for the rocks.

Unfortunately, I suspect your reply will be along the lines of "You may well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment".

Mike

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:46 pm

Not good news - the initial (rather forthright...) post offered a glimmer of hope as to more information to come

The project heads back under a stone then :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:54 pm

Looks like the Fat Controller is back in charge of the approaching train crash (oops, can I say that Carl?)

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:36 pm

andrew martin wrote:Yes.

After completing my initial enquiries, I have delegated full responsibility for the production of the sets and liaising with Holloid Plastics to Gerry Walsh and Peter Wilson.

I am sure that further announcements will be made by them shortly.

I would once again like to thank Charles Wood for all his hard work on everyone's behalf. His was a very tough job.

Andrew
LOL - come on Gerry you can sort, and with Peter by your side what could possibly go wrong?!

Andrew are you still Director for this project?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:36 pm

The real question is: who writes the letter of explanation to 7000 schools and 650 MPs?

Clearly not the Bradford Blatherer, Charles W Wood. Clearly not Andrew Martin.

So we await the finest prose from our President & our Marketing Director.

What odds preferment now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And where has the Board been? Either Andrew Martin is a Director, and the Board is jointly responsible. Or the Board is a divided rabble, and individual Directors pick-and-choose their responsibilities? Which is it?

David