Resignation

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
andrew martin

Resignation

Post by andrew martin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:00 pm

I regret to announce my resignation as Chess for Schools Director. I was finding the job very stressful and have decided to go back to the Manager of Coaching post,where I am ideally placed.

I wish the ECF and my successor well.

Andrew
Last edited by andrew martin on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Resignation

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Best of luck, Andrew.

So who's going to be next to step up to this glorious role?

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:15 pm

Sorry to see you go Andrew :(

5 good people in a year resigned! :o

Somethings wrong somewhere :!: :?:

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 pm

This is no great loss. Andrew has many better things to do at the moment. His time will come again

But the Board needs a replacement, fast. I think not the Bradford Blatherer, close though his claim on the post may be. We can do better.
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Far too personal, disagree please but keep to the point

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:37 pm

In the spirit of making this thread constructive rather than destructive, I'm willing to stand for the role if needed. I suspect there are, however, many people better qualified, and I would support them if they chose to stand instead.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:51 pm

You'd be a fool to stand, Jack. As Andrew was, and found.

It's pointless holding office without the means to do the job. And the means will be denied you wherever awkward issues must be revealed. The naive desire to 'lend an honest hand' should for the time being be suspended until enough of the chess community, including some dolts who contribute here, realise that only full-scale institutional and personnel reform of ECF will give us any chance of restoring order and credibility to our collective affairs. Thereafter and thereupon, we can begin to discuss how to improve matters and remedy the errors of the past.

David
Atticus CC

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:07 pm

I wouldn't say I was a fool Dave. I took the job because I had a passion to get the sets into the schools for the benefit of the kids. Please rubbish this thought all you will.

One phone call to Holloid this afternoon posing as an anonymous teacher enquiring about the sets tipped the scales for me.

I spoke direct to Julian van Wyngaarden, a very nice guy, the MD, very polite,friendly and honest.

After what I heard I had to go.

Andrew

Paul Stimpson

Post by Paul Stimpson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 pm

One phone call to Holloid this afternoon posing as an anonymous teacher
Perhaps Gerry Walsh should try that one :lol:

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:44 pm

I don't doubt your motives, Andrew. You will know that.

But folly arises when good faith drives out good judgement.

David
Atticus CC

Paul Stimpson

Post by Paul Stimpson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 pm

From the Chess For Schools website
The school couldn't provide equipment so I wrote to Peter Wilson at the English Chess Federation to see if the ECF could help. Being a sharp cookie Peter pointed out that I worked in the plastics industry and perhaps was better placed to look at this!? (I had thought that we might produce tiny travel chess sets but Peter put me right here – full-size competition pieces or nothing!!!)
Looks like nothing it is then!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 pm

andrew martin wrote:I spoke direct to Julian van Wyngaarden, a very nice guy, the MD, very polite,friendly and honest.

After what I heard I had to go.
Are you going to detail what was said Andrew on this one?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:37 am

David Robertson wrote:parasitic
I think I'm going to have to ask the Professor to explain his use of this term.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:02 am

Another post had to be edited for what was in my opinion heading for far too personal a comment

PLEASE keep to the point :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:11 am

What a ludicrous state of affairs. I get insulted and called names by Justin Horton on his S&B blog. Yet when I try to defend myself, he blocks me from posting there. So I come here to defend myself, dishing out a little taste of his own medicine, to find I run into the censorious Carl.

Parasitic? Sure, I'll explain my use of that term. A parasite feeds off the energy and efforts of others, contributing little or nothing of value in return.

David
Atticus CC

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:24 am

David Robertson wrote:What a ludicrous state of affairs. I get insulted and called names by Justin Horton on his S&B blog. Yet when I try to defend myself, he blocks me from posting there. So I come here to defend myself, dishing out a little taste of his own medicine, to find I run into the censorious Carl.

Parasitic? Sure, I'll explain my use of that term. A parasite feeds off the energy and efforts of others, contributing little or nothing of value in return.

David
Atticus CC
Then Justin should of course edit his comments on his S&B blog - what happens over there should not be carried on in here
Cheers
Carl Hibbard