Page 1 of 3

Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:00 pm
by andrew martin
I regret to announce my resignation as Chess for Schools Director. I was finding the job very stressful and have decided to go back to the Manager of Coaching post,where I am ideally placed.

I wish the ECF and my successor well.

Andrew

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:37 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Best of luck, Andrew.

So who's going to be next to step up to this glorious role?

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:15 pm
by Steve Henderson
Sorry to see you go Andrew :(

5 good people in a year resigned! :o

Somethings wrong somewhere :!: :?:

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 pm
by David Robertson
This is no great loss. Andrew has many better things to do at the moment. His time will come again

But the Board needs a replacement, fast. I think not the Bradford Blatherer, close though his claim on the post may be. We can do better.

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:37 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
In the spirit of making this thread constructive rather than destructive, I'm willing to stand for the role if needed. I suspect there are, however, many people better qualified, and I would support them if they chose to stand instead.

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:51 pm
by David Robertson
You'd be a fool to stand, Jack. As Andrew was, and found.

It's pointless holding office without the means to do the job. And the means will be denied you wherever awkward issues must be revealed. The naive desire to 'lend an honest hand' should for the time being be suspended until enough of the chess community, including some dolts who contribute here, realise that only full-scale institutional and personnel reform of ECF will give us any chance of restoring order and credibility to our collective affairs. Thereafter and thereupon, we can begin to discuss how to improve matters and remedy the errors of the past.

David
Atticus CC

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:07 pm
by andrew martin
I wouldn't say I was a fool Dave. I took the job because I had a passion to get the sets into the schools for the benefit of the kids. Please rubbish this thought all you will.

One phone call to Holloid this afternoon posing as an anonymous teacher enquiring about the sets tipped the scales for me.

I spoke direct to Julian van Wyngaarden, a very nice guy, the MD, very polite,friendly and honest.

After what I heard I had to go.


Andrew

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 pm
by Paul Stimpson
One phone call to Holloid this afternoon posing as an anonymous teacher
Perhaps Gerry Walsh should try that one :lol:

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:44 pm
by David Robertson
I don't doubt your motives, Andrew. You will know that.

But folly arises when good faith drives out good judgement.

David
Atticus CC

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 pm
by Paul Stimpson
From the Chess For Schools website
The school couldn't provide equipment so I wrote to Peter Wilson at the English Chess Federation to see if the ECF could help. Being a sharp cookie Peter pointed out that I worked in the plastics industry and perhaps was better placed to look at this!? (I had thought that we might produce tiny travel chess sets but Peter put me right here – full-size competition pieces or nothing!!!)
Looks like nothing it is then!

Re: Resignation

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 pm
by Carl Hibbard
andrew martin wrote:I spoke direct to Julian van Wyngaarden, a very nice guy, the MD, very polite,friendly and honest.

After what I heard I had to go.
Are you going to detail what was said Andrew on this one?

Re: Resignation

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:37 am
by JustinHorton
David Robertson wrote:parasitic
I think I'm going to have to ask the Professor to explain his use of this term.

Re: Resignation

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:02 am
by Carl Hibbard
Another post had to be edited for what was in my opinion heading for far too personal a comment

PLEASE keep to the point :!:

Re: Resignation

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:11 am
by David Robertson
What a ludicrous state of affairs. I get insulted and called names by Justin Horton on his S&B blog. Yet when I try to defend myself, he blocks me from posting there. So I come here to defend myself, dishing out a little taste of his own medicine, to find I run into the censorious Carl.

Parasitic? Sure, I'll explain my use of that term. A parasite feeds off the energy and efforts of others, contributing little or nothing of value in return.

David
Atticus CC

Re: Resignation

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:24 am
by Carl Hibbard
David Robertson wrote:What a ludicrous state of affairs. I get insulted and called names by Justin Horton on his S&B blog. Yet when I try to defend myself, he blocks me from posting there. So I come here to defend myself, dishing out a little taste of his own medicine, to find I run into the censorious Carl.

Parasitic? Sure, I'll explain my use of that term. A parasite feeds off the energy and efforts of others, contributing little or nothing of value in return.

David
Atticus CC
Then Justin should of course edit his comments on his S&B blog - what happens over there should not be carried on in here