Peter Wilson's election address

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
John Upham

Peter Wilson's election address

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:50 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/a ... ture.shtml

contains an audio version of the PJBWs election address as a candidate standing for election in St Peter Port North district thus :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/realmedia ... wilson.ram

There is an interesting portion of the above URI that is worthy of reproduction here :

"I have a logical and creative mind and will bring new ideas and solutions to solve the many problems facing Guernsey."

and, more relevantly :

"In my hobby of chess I have held world-level positions - recently finalising a £3.4 million sponsorship agreement which will see 250,000 sets going to UK schools entirely free of charge." :shock:

I wonder if the use of the word finalising is appropriate? Can you think of a more appropriate word or words? :roll:

What are the world-level positions ? I have been made aware of a desire to become FIDE President : I believe that this was never realised. :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ben Purton

Re: Peter Wilson's election address

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:03 pm

John

I think saying an agreement is finalised is hardly like saying the whole thing is done and dusted and the kids have the sets.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:06 pm

It's slightly old news that report, good or bad, fiasco or not it probably needs clarifying as such
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Peter has served on FIDE Committees and played in many Olympiads. He set up Mushrooms which still exists about 45 years later, - a success postally and otb - has controlled and promoted the game for a lifetime, played in the Seniors Olympiad where he got Korchnoi!

The Jack Spiegel Memorial was his latest. Despite living in the Channel Islands he plays regularly in the UK. Regular readers of CHESS can find his kindly letters going back to his schooldays.

Dr Upham takes it upon himself to levy criticism against a great gentleman of our game. I do not believe he will ever be aware of how much distress he may be causing.

James Pratt (Basingstoke!)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Peter Wilson is a good guy. If he wants to be he should be envolved in ECF in some capacity. Bear in mind I am "Mr ECF needs to be younger" here . So that tells you how much i like him

Kind regards

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:16 pm

Ben Purton wrote:If he wants to be he should be envolved in ECF in some capacity.
Is he not currently the ECF director of marketing?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:27 pm

James Pratt wrote:
Dr Upham takes it upon himself to levy criticism against a great gentleman of our game. I do not believe he will ever be aware of how much distress he may be causing.

James Pratt (Basingstoke!)
James, thanks for resurrecting this thread.

I'd quite forgotten about
recently finalising a £3.4 million sponsorship agreement
I am not critical of Peter per se but solely as Director of Marketing.

It matters not one jot how "nice" someone is if they are not fulfilling a role that they have been keen to take.

If anyone (and that includes PJBW himself) can demonstrate that he has done a good job and is continuing to do then I will retract and consume humble pie.

I asked PJBW several times if he could provide me with such evidence and a reply was not forthcoming.

There is no doubting his "niceness" I would agree.

Apologies if this appears to be unkind. :cry:
Last edited by John Upham on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi All

I have found Peter Wilson a good person to have around, he has helped with many (if not all) the publicity we have had for the Renaissance Academy, and helped us stay in line with ECF policy. I know Peter has help many other people around the country too, even helping a young lad in Peterlee do an out door simil with Gawane Jones.

I feel that the Director of Marketing is a poison chalice of a role, its too huge an area for one volunteer to be able to make a massive impact. Even with this in mind, he does as much as he can and does throw himself at the job. There is one other major factor that we should all take into consideration; no one else stood for the job. If we are saying the other bloke could have done better thats fine, but as we aren't comparing Peter with anyone, unless you guys are saying you'd prefer no one in that role (which is just daft).

I do agree that we need a specific role that a Director of Marketing could follow, and I believe a group of Managers to cover areas, such as the publicity on the interweb (John maybe), and a Schools Liaison, League/press Liaison (to help leagues set up press columns where none are now running), a Manager to market the ECF internationally etc. I will also throw my hat in the "we need younger people" lot, but with the absence of anybody coming forward we will have to have the only person willing to do the job.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Charles W. Wood wrote:Such as the publicity on the interweb (John maybe)
Sounds like a plan, well any sort of marketing would be nice - perhaps an ECF web site might help :roll:

Be nice to see any movement in the web arena really
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Dear John,

I think your original post was unpleasant and uncalled for.

Personal attacks on individuals almost always reveal far more about those doing the attacking than those attacked.

I can sympathise if your post was the result of frustration at the perceived failings of the Federation and those involved in it. But this is not the way to improve matters.

In my view ...

Yours,

Peter

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:14 pm

As far as I am aware Peter Wilson has done nothing as Director of Marketing. I would also remind forum readers that Peter stood for the International Directorship. I believe that if you were to speak to anyone involved in Channel Islands Chess they would say how fortunate we have been. The general view would be that a Peter Wilson who does nothing is infinitely preferable to a Peter Wilson who does something.

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:As far as I am aware Peter Wilson has done nothing as Director of Marketing. I would also remind forum readers that Peter stood for the International Directorship. I believe that if you were to speak to anyone involved in Channel Islands Chess they would say how fortunate we have been. The general view would be that a Peter Wilson who does nothing is infinitely preferable to a Peter Wilson who does something.

Matthew,

Are you planning to run for election in November?

Best,

Peter

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:38 pm

Peter
No, I will not be standing in November. Like you, I have served time on the ECF Board and I have some achievements, notably the Certificate of Excellence and the Ampleforth Young Masters, but I do not believe that I could take the ECF forward at this time. The organisation is not in my opinion 'fit for purpose'.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:38 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:The general view would be that a Peter Wilson who does nothing is infinitely preferable to a Peter Wilson who does something.
This is a little bit personal and somewhere I don't wish us to go if I am honest
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Carl,
I think we have to have a dose of reality here. Peter Wilson's lists his address on the ECF website as

11 Clos De Gibauderie,
St Peter Port
Guernsey
GY1 1XQ

I think it is fair enough to ask Why has he changed his affiliation from GCI to the ENG? Why is he no longer an official of the Guernsey Chess Federation? Why would he want to be the ECF's Director of Marketing (or International Director)?