Update on Project?

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Carl Hibbard

Update on Project?

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:12 pm

Have there been any updates/movements on this one does anybody know?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Bentley

Re: Update on Project?

Post by David Bentley » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:28 pm

You need a strong belief in Reincarnation for this one. I wrote to the CEO of the ECF on the 14th of this month and offered free of charge to deliver the 500 chess sets already made. ( cough ) ( another cough ) I never got a reply. Eleven days later my offer withdrawn. I offered in the past free wharehousing and to set up a delivery system. I have secure parking and offered in conversations to receive a super cube or two ( container ) then deliver via county chess organisers to the forty county LEA's offices and let the school library sytem deliver to the schools. Simple in my opinion.
Copy of email to CEO.

Hello Chris,

Logistics of a few hundred chess sets.
Enough for an estate car.
Let me know if you would like me to deliver them.
I have spoken to Gerry Walsh and offered any help you would need in any department.
I have some political and business friends I could perhaps call on for sponsorship if you gave the OK.

Kind regards,

David.
Truth Before Tact

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:08 pm

Quite. 10,000 chess sets would occupy about 25 m3 of space and could be transported an 5 medium sized transit vans. Organising the distribution of the sets requires a fair bit of work but none of this was ever impossible (if we somehow managed to acquire the sets).

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:01 pm

Very good news from Chris Majer appears on the ECF website: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/chess4sc ... _jan09.htm

Claire

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Marvellous! Time we had some good news.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:11 pm

That looks like very good news indeed!! :)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:38 pm

Claire Summerscale wrote:Very good news from Chris Majer appears on the ECF website: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/chess4sc ... _jan09.htm

Claire
Does that actually confirm any sets without sponsorship to cover the cost, it isn't clear?

It is good news of course
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:02 pm

Great news, let's see what happens with this one. A little confused after the minutes of the board meeting, but not a problem. People can be forgiven on not rushing to judgement on this.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:42 pm

Didn't the chap from Holloid just say that they would manufacture the sets if someone else pays for it and then schools can have them if someone else pays to deliver them? Have I totally misunderstood this? :?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:09 am

I'm not sure how much I believe that latest update. I suspect the answer is "not enough to shelve my plans for a local project of this nature".

David Bentley

Post by David Bentley » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:03 am

Oh what a tangled web we weave.
Truth Before Tact

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:01 am

Nick Thomas wrote:Didn't the chap from Holloid just say that they would manufacture the sets if someone else pays for it and then schools can have them if someone else pays to deliver them? Have I totally misunderstood this? :?
It isn't a clear statement no but it does sort of indicate that phase one is perhaps a go but it's very hard to tell?

I was informed months ago that there were a few hundred sets already made but with no boards - this statement just clarifies that fact as does the sale now being made public

Someone needs to clarify the statement further!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:01 am

More Good News!! :D

Free Badges For Schools Project :!:

I will make 250000 chess badges for all the schools in GB to be delivered next week. :shock: All I need are sponsors (to pay for it all) and the ECF to come and collect them from me to deliver them. I will put in lots of work to make them (providing I have enough sponsorship to pay my mortgage) to add to the considerable money I have spent so far (badge machine) and time (writing this note). I realise that I promised it all for free originally but as you can see I am still totally committed to the project just with a few minor changes (e.g. not free anymore). I hope this clarifies my position 8)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:21 am

Are you sure the badge machine is not stuck in customs?

:wink:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:05 am

Nick Thomas wrote:Didn't the chap from Holloid just say that they would manufacture the sets if someone else pays for it and then schools can have them if someone else pays to deliver them? Have I totally misunderstood this? :?
This is exactly how I read the announcement, and was surprised that everyone else seemed to think it was good news. It seems to me that the provision of free chess sets is now dependent upon obtaining substantial financial sponsorship at the start of the worst recession in living memory. Great news indeed.