Update on Project?

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Leonard Barden

Re: Update on Project?

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Why is there a storage problem at Holloid about a single set but apparently not about 100,000 boards?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:Why is there a storage problem at Holloid about a single set but apparently not about 100,000 boards?
There is so much conflicting information about regarding this project (even from official sources...) getting to the truth seems somewhat harder than it should be :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:Why is there a storage problem at Holloid about a single set but apparently not about 100,000 boards?

The explanation is simple : the boards are not being made by HP but are being produced in China (just like all other goods these days) and being shipped over to the depot in Banbury (allegedly).

I'm confident that there will be good news to report just before October 17th...
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
There is so much conflicting information about regarding this project (even from official sources...) getting to the truth seems somewhat harder than it should be :roll:
There comes a time in projects like this when you just have to acknowledge that it's all over.

I have never understood the commercial rationale of Holloid's original offer and am not surprised that it has not come to pass. Surely, the only sensible course of action is to shake hands, distribute any sets that actually exist, thank Holloid for their support to date, and walk away. Then we can get on with the real work of supporting efforts by the likes of Richard James and Andrew Martin in using good quality coaching materials and help develop more local initiatives to take chess to young people.

How many times has it been said on this forum that chess sets are not the issue? What we need are people on the ground prepared to help teach and support budding chess players, and well organised, accredited academies that can attract support and sponsorship.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:15 pm

Again, there is a subtle difference in the comments

John Upham writes "The explanation is simple : the boards are not being made by HP but are being produced in China (just like all other goods these days) and being shipped over to the depot in Banbury (allegedly).

Chris Majer writes "Holloid Plastics has bought 100,000 boards and has them in stock"

Well, Are they 'being produced' or are they already in stock?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Well, Are they 'being produced' or are they already in stock?
A quote from Fergus in December 2008 was:

"The board tool never left China as the mark one version could never be made flat..."

So I "suspect" the 100,000 boards were purchased months ago directly in relation to this fact

All guessing of course :(
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:26 pm

A couple of weeks ago I offered myself (and one other person) to witness real-time production in Basingstoke on any day of the week or weekend.

I also offered to attend the night shift in case that was more convenient (not for me of course).

This was offered to HP by Caroline and she was told that my offer was not practicable and could not be arranged.

This is a shame since I would loved to have told you all I had witnessed production in real-time!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:37 pm

John Upham wrote:This is a shame since I would loved to have told you all I had witnessed production in real-time!
Well the next landmark is supposed to be this:

"A pilot exercise with a single LEA (about 100-150 schools) will be carried out shortly with Holloid Plastics delivering the sets to the LEA distribution centre"

You need a minimum of a 1,000 sets for that - if you get 150 instead (what remains...) then you know something is up!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:01 pm

John Upham wrote:I like the name of the word document also : ...pileBottom.doc :lol:
Appropriately enough, my computer announced that it was "scanning for a virus" before attempting to examine "pileBottom.doc"!

:lol:
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:09 pm

Since we have now crossed into October and with the AGM not being that far away does anyone have any further information or updates on the project they can share?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard