Holloid Plastics Press Release : January 2009

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
John Upham

Holloid Plastics Press Release : January 2009

Post by John Upham » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Public relations consultants SE10 have published a press release on behalf of Holloid Plastics :

http://www.holloid-plastics.co.uk/Resou ... astics.pdf

and I've extracted the CSfS relevant part for interest :
“This company has a lot to look forward to,” says Mr. von Spreckelsen. “Not least
among this is our involvement in the English Chess Federation’s Chess For Schools
project. We are honoured to be a lead sponsor of this valuable initiative to foster a love
of the game and strategic thinking among our nation’s youth, and are committed to
making this project a resounding success.”
Hopefully, a sign of things to come!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Nick Thomas

Re: Holloid Plastics Press Release : January 2009

Post by Nick Thomas » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:38 pm

For goodness sake........... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:17 pm

John

It's all bo**ocks.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Mike Truran wrote:John

It's all bo**ocks.
Crikey John! :shock:

:shock: That's sort of what I wanted to say but didn't have the Anglo Saxon confidence.............

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:43 pm

The ECF web site still mentions "free" sets does it not?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:12 am

I merely report what has been made known to myself....without judgement.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:59 pm

It's all bo**ocks.
BLESS!!!!

Reganites, they can't believe anything. But if the Reganites did sit down and think about this statement they would come up with one small but interesting flaw. This is not an ECF project, its a Holloid plastics project, the ECF never signed up to owning the project, and never the produce. This was clear from day one, and as far as i know still clear today. The ECF were asked to help Holloid not own the project. I think the statement does become more interesting after we all understand that.

BTW I am still and always will be a massive supporter of the project and all who want to volunteer to put their respective hats in the ring.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:03 am

Charles W. Wood wrote:BTW I am still and always will be a massive supporter of the project and all who want to volunteer to put their respective hats in the ring.
There are NO sets Charles let alone the 250,000 promised and the web site is still not clear on what (if anything) is going on!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:16 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Charles W. Wood wrote:BTW I am still and always will be a massive supporter of the project and all who want to volunteer to put their respective hats in the ring.
There are NO sets Charles let alone the 250,000 promised and the web site is still not clear on what (if anything) is going on!
But the sponsor does say, (after meetings) they want a "resounding success", so full credit to the ECF then. Its more than you lot asked for.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:00 am

From the 'Hastings Observer' earlier this month:

"Chess mad youngster given cheque by their mate Michael
Chess mad youngsters at a local primary school saw their lunchtime club saved - thanks to Hastings MP Michael Foster.
Thousands of schools across the UK signed up for 12 free chess sets under a scheme launched last year by a company offering up the sets made of recycled plastic.
Numerous schools across Hastings and St Leonards, included Helenswood, got their sets as promised. However, due to a problem with the company some schools have been left waiting for their games for months.
One such school, Guestling Bradshaw Primary, was down to just three sets for its Wednesday lunchtime chess club - certainly not enough to cope with the number of pupils who wanted to play.
Bruce Humphreys, who helps with the club, decided to contact Mr Foster direct and ask for help and, just two weeks later, the school had six new chess sets.
Mr Foster, who paid for the sets himself, said: "I have always loved chess, despite not being very good at it.
"It is a great sport for young people to take up. It lets people display different sets of skills to more physical activities and sitting opposite someone and pitting your wits against them is great fun.
"When I heard about the delay, I was only too happy to help."
The school was quick to thank Mr Foster, with Mr Humphreys saying: "We are very grateful. Its only right people find out about this sort of generosity."
The school, and others in the town yet to receive their free sets, should do so over the coming months."

It is not clear to me whether "numerous schools" have indeed received their sets...

PB

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:32 am

Charles W. Wood wrote:

It's all bo**ocks.
BLESS!!!!

Reganites, they can't believe anything. But if the Reganites did sit down and think about this statement they would come up with one small but interesting flaw. This is not an ECF project, its a Holloid plastics project, the ECF never signed up to owning the project, and never the produce. This was clear from day one, and as far as i know still clear today. The ECF were asked to help Holloid not own the project. I think the statement does become more interesting after we all understand that.

BTW I am still and always will be a massive supporter of the project and all who want to volunteer to put their respective hats in the ring.
I just woke up to read this. What are you talking about Charles :?: :? Reading your posts is sometimes like wading through treacle when you're allergic to sugar :!:
But the sponsor does say, (after meetings) they want a "resounding success", so full credit to the ECF then. Its more than you lot asked for.
And what does this mean :?: It's a bit like white noise in my head :shock:

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:33 am

Paul Buswell wrote:From the 'Hastings Observer' earlier this month:

One such school, Guestling Bradshaw Primary, was down to just three sets for its Wednesday lunchtime chess club - certainly not enough to cope with the number of pupils who wanted to play.

PB
Has the programme factored in that chess sets are a depreciable asset? ;)

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:45 am

I hope something sensible and achieveable can still be salvaged from the Chess Sets for Schools Project. I wonder if (m)any of the 9,000 schools who applied for the free sets have since contacted the ECF with the good news that they were so enthusiastic about having chess that they have managed to fund the cost of basic chess sets! After more than 30 years teaching in North Lincolnshire and introducing chess to several schools in the County I can echo the view expressed elsewhere on this forum, "chess sets are not the problem ...". A letter to parents, something in a local paper, one fund raising event etc very quickly solves the chess sets issue. The more difficult problem is who is going to deliver the chess to the youngsters. Hopefully some schools had thought it through, had staff/volunteers ready to go and just got on with it.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22 am

Peter Turner wrote:I hope something sensible and achieveable can still be salvaged from the Chess Sets for Schools Project. I wonder if (m)any of the 9,000 schools who applied for the free sets have since contacted the ECF with the good news that they were so enthusiastic about having chess that they have managed to fund the cost of basic chess sets! After more than 30 years teaching in North Lincolnshire and introducing chess to several schools in the County I can echo the view expressed elsewhere on this forum, "chess sets are not the problem ...". A letter to parents, something in a local paper, one fund raising event etc very quickly solves the chess sets issue. The more difficult problem is who is going to deliver the chess to the youngsters. Hopefully some schools had thought it through, had staff/volunteers ready to go and just got on with it.
Common sense prevails!

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:45 pm

A lot of people have invested a lot of time into this project and so every effort is being made by the ECF to ensure progression of some kind.