Director of Home Chess

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Richard Bates

Re: Director of Home Chess

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:52 pm
Picking up on a few points raised; the question of a telephone match did come up during my stint as controller (I won't disclose the counties concerned). Alex's view was that a telephone match would be anachronistic in the 2010s but an internet match would be viable. It's definitely an idea worth considering although in 2018 you can go quite a bit beyond the traditional club and county format in online chess. The downside; perhaps more for club rather than county (although it is a factor) is that what you save on the transport you lose due to an extra venue and arbiter being required.

In any case many people do not consider the county championships in need of `saving`.

Regarding Roger's post, chess players in the North do seem to gravitate more towards congress than team chess. There are many congresses in the South as well but I find it telling that four of the `big six` (Blackpool, Doncaster, South Lakes and Scarborough) are in the North. Of the counties Roger names I can't speak for three of them but North Yorkshire is not a county union in its own right and the two largest clubs within it currently run seven teams between them in the weekend Yorkshire League (I'm chairman of one).
Just out of interest what is the basis for membership of “the big six”?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:09 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 am
I should imagine it's the number of games played over a weekend. Until not so long ago, it offered a qualification place for the British Championship.

In the South, Kidlington and St Albans are contenders, but they max out at around 180 to 200 players. Blackpool and Scarborough can run to 300 or more.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:13 am

I recall reading something about the `six largest congresses`. Annoyingly I can't remember exactly where but I think it was in an official ECF document and the other two were Kidlington (I think) and the London chess classic. Calling them the `big six` may have been a leap on my part but even so it is curious that so many of the larger weekenders are located in the North.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:21 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:13 am
Calling them the `big six` may have been a leap on my part
Not really, because they used to have a special status as having British Championship places to award.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:09 am
Richard Bates wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 am
I should imagine it's the number of games played over a weekend. Until not so long ago, it offered a qualification place for the British Championship.

In the South, Kidlington and St Albans are contenders, but they max out at around 180 to 200 players. Blackpool and Scarborough can run to 300 or more.
Not South Lakes and Doncaster though?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:02 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:52 pm
Of the counties Roger names I can't speak for three of them but North Yorkshire is not a county union in its own right and the two largest clubs within it currently run seven teams between them in the weekend Yorkshire League (I'm chairman of one).
Not wanting to defend Roger :lol: , but if you replace North Yorks with Cumbria, his point does stand
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 am
Not South Lakes and Doncaster though?
They both used to get around 200. Torquay and Frome could sometimes make it to the top 6 as well.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:04 pm

South Lakes has often had turn players away because it was literally "full".
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Just as I put the British Lightning Championhips out of their misery some years ago, the same should have been one for the National Club Championship.
Another event that has passed its 'bye bye' date is the Grand Prix, with its ludicrous over=blown title. Of course, it could be revitalised with £40,000 sponsorship.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:59 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:01 pm
Alex Holowczak is standing down, in no small part thanks to an excess of other commitments.
.....oh no he's not

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/nominat ... t-the-agm/

Nominations are NOT being sought for the Director of Home Chess; no election is due for this post until 2020, and following discussions with members of the board, the incumbent, Alex Holowczak, is reconsidering his previous announced intention to resign.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:59 am
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Alex Holowczak is standing down, in no small part thanks to an excess of other commitments.
.....oh no he's not

Nominations are NOT being sought for the Director of Home Chess; no election is due for this post until 2020, and following discussions with members of the board, the incumbent, Alex Holowczak, is reconsidering his previous announced intention to resign.
Oh yes he is: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/director-of-home-chess/ dated the 21st August.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:59 am
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
.....oh no he's not

You're a few days behind, Neil: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/director-of-home-chess/

The Board asked me to reconsider, so I said I would. I duly thought on it, such that we went past the 13th August deadline to make the announcement you've linked. So it had to be suitably vague. Having thought about it, I have now confirmed my original decision.

The timing of all that, such that it spanned the 13th August, was just a little unfortunate.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Good for Business
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well