Resignation Letter
-
Angus French
- Posts: 2199
- Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
- Contact:
Re: Resignation Letter
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... lcolm_pein
To be clear, the comment - which is unsubstantiated - about the Gerry Walsh's "obstructive behaviour" is attributed to Martin Regan.
The piece also states that the resigning Directors stood down as: "they felt unable to implement a business plan for the coming year".
And it goes on to say: "There is no doubt that since the four were elected in October 2006 the decline of English Chess was halted and there was cause for great optimism".
To be clear, the comment - which is unsubstantiated - about the Gerry Walsh's "obstructive behaviour" is attributed to Martin Regan.
The piece also states that the resigning Directors stood down as: "they felt unable to implement a business plan for the coming year".
And it goes on to say: "There is no doubt that since the four were elected in October 2006 the decline of English Chess was halted and there was cause for great optimism".
-
Sean Hewitt
Re: Resignation Letter
It's worth remembering that the Telegraph article is written by Malcolm Pein who, lest we forget, was a member of Martin Regans "New ECF" ticket in October 2006. It's hardly the most neutral or objective piece of jounalism. The comment "There is no doubt that since the four were elected in October 2006 the decline of English Chess was halted..." is certainly debateable - and that's being generous. There have been some improvements in my opinion since 2006, mainly Junior chess because of Claire's work and the benefits of the John Robinson leagacy.
- John Upham
- Posts: 8382
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: Resignation Letter
I have just spoken with a member of staff in the Hastings Office asking if they were aware of the Telegraph article.
They are.
I was told that Gerry was consulting someone who "has provided advice in the past to all of the directors on topics wider than just legal issues."
I asked if Gerry felt any pressure to resign and was told that they "didn't see why he should resign"
I asked if he would remain in office. The affirmative was the reply.
Do we have any prospective alternative Presidential candidates for the AGM?
John
They are.
I was told that Gerry was consulting someone who "has provided advice in the past to all of the directors on topics wider than just legal issues."
I asked if Gerry felt any pressure to resign and was told that they "didn't see why he should resign"
I asked if he would remain in office. The affirmative was the reply.
Do we have any prospective alternative Presidential candidates for the AGM?
John
Last edited by John Upham on Thu May 15, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Steve Henderson
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:32 pm
- Location: Redcar
Re: Resignation Letter
Interesting, would that be the ECF solicitor?John Upham wrote:I was told that Gerry and his solicitor are "dealing with it".
- Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Contact:
Re: Resignation Letter
Hi ErnieErnie Lazenby wrote: In house cleaning is much the better option . I fear that the current situation will cause potential sponsors to walk away - controversy is not something that sposnors want.
You were never more right. My day is already becoming a nightmare, the phone has not stopped since 9.00am with call after call from sponsors. I can see why Martin has done the letter in an open format, but it is not helping this project very much. I think on a point of form Martin should really have gone down the road of an EGM to call for a new President (I believe thats how its done) but he hasn't so I have a bit to do over the next week or so. You may see me on the site but its a case of the lights an on and I'm busy.
On a muh lesser point:
I am a bit worried by this SteveG over at Atticus, he is lumping me in with the rather odd Rexels Brother (who in my eyes needs to calm down just a little, can't say what I want because I've been too close to the edge too many times). I have bad spelling because I was totally deaf until I was nine, but the State School I was in refused to recognise it, so I got refered at nine rather than four. So spelling and grammar for me are quite hard. I should have really tried to catch up in my twenties but I've always had an admin team in my working life, so I got lazy. If this upsets or worries anyone I do apologise, and I also hope if any younger eyes are reading these posts; English is a core subject so be good at it, because lack of English holds you back.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
Captain of Legion
- Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Contact:
Re: Resignation Letter
Its mad as mad can be. I don't know wht half the things are happening apart from its not helping. In my opinion we have a board until October, and like you said we are all counting the days to that meeting. I feel that every person on the old board (pre resignations) did a good job. I worked with three people very well, Peter, Gerry and Claire, they did every thing to support us in the work we were doing with the Renaissance Academy. I feel very strongly that we need to have a level of stability until the Council can vote in a new board.Ernie Lazenby wrote:Charles. I never met John Robinson who must have had a life long love of our game. I suspect that if there is an after life hes looking down and saying ' It would have been better leaving it to the Battersea Cat and dog home' Equally those of us who still live and breath may never contemplate leaving anything to the ECF while open warfare prevails.
A small foot note on Gerry for everyone to see, I have never in my life come across anyone who can work a government meeting as well as Gerry. I know I would have had a harder time of the meetings if Gerry wasn't there. But one thing stands out in my head from all the conversations I've had with Gerry, he has never said anything but good things about the other Board Members and Council Members either to me or with me when talking to outside agencies and sponsors. My request to the Board on Saturday night (I had a conversation with Chris Majer) was to keep things as level as possible. These are important weeks for three projects I'm aware of: Chess as a Sport, Chess for Schools, and financial sponsorship of major events. I get where Martin is coming from but restructuring (as is suggested) needs to be done through Council in a way that does not rock the good work that is going on.
Matter of point:
SteveG (over in Atticus) also points out I have loads of titles in my signiture. I put them up so people understand what I am. I feel that it is very impotant for the general public as well as chess players to know my vested interests. I do not and will not hide anything away about who and what I am.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
Captain of Legion
-
andrew martin
Re: Resignation Letter
Can I ask if the letter has been posted on this forum ?
I would have thought this was a far more appropriate place to put it first, if only to show some respect to ECF members and officials.
Maybe I missed it, is it here ?
Andrew
I would have thought this was a far more appropriate place to put it first, if only to show some respect to ECF members and officials.
Maybe I missed it, is it here ?
Andrew
- Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Contact:
Re: Resignation Letter
No but here it is.andrew martin wrote:Can I ask if the letter has been posted on this forum ?
I would have thought this was a far more appropriate place to put it first, if only to show some respect to ECF members and officials.
Maybe I missed it, is it here ?
Andrew
I hope that worked, I took this from Atticus, I hope they do not mind. I have no responcablity for its content.Martin Regan Wrote wrote: 3rd May 2008
Dear Mr President,
It gives me no pleasure to write this letter as the outgoing Chief Executive of the English Chess Federation.
You will recall that when I was first elected in 2006, the then Chairman of the Governance Committee took me aside and asked me if I could work with the incumbent President. I said I was prepared to work with anyone for the greater good of English Chess. Unfortunately, I discovered that the question ought to have been posed to the President about the incoming CEO and those experienced business people elected with him.
You have been aware that in my time on the board I have had the sufficient support of my colleagues to remove any director who was impeding progress, including you. However, in the end, I chose not to do so. There is already too little democratic accountability within the ECF, and the executive should never seek to overturn an election result.
However, if I would not remove you, I myself had to go.
Throughout most of my tenure as CEO you have, in my view, sought to thwart some of the key changes that the majority of the board felt were necessary. You have used your position to seek to retain the status quo in major areas of the ECF’s structure and in doing so have fractured board unity.
I have no doubt whatsoever that you have done this for perfectly honourable reasons and that you believe you are acting in the interests of the Federation. However, I believe that the longer an elected official stays in power the more he is apt to confuse his own wishes with the needs of the body that elected him.
Your actions over the past 12 months have contributed significantly to the resignation of your chief executive and three of your directors. Other directors, I know, stay on merely to help the ECF through its current difficulties.
You have been at the helm of English Chess for almost a decade. It has been a decade mainly of decline. Despite your long service, for which the ECF must thank you, I believe you no longer have the capacity to understand nor the desire to undertake the scale of change which is necessary.
I ask you to consult carefully with all those who hold dear the interests of the Federation. Such consultation must inevitably lead you to one conclusion: that for the good of the Federation and for the good of English chess, you must step down
Martin Regan
Chief Executive ECF
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
Captain of Legion
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: Resignation Letter
I presume it was never meant to make it to the public domain?andrew martin wrote:Can I ask if the letter has been posted on this forum ?
I would have thought this was a far more appropriate place to put it first, if only to show some respect to ECF members and officials.
Maybe I missed it, is it here ?
Andrew
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
- Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Contact:
Re: Resignation Letter
It is an open letter as I understand it, and it has been forwarded to the press (as per the Telegraph). So not too much danger.Carl Hibbard wrote:I presume it was never meant to make it to the public domain?andrew martin wrote:Can I ask if the letter has been posted on this forum ?
I would have thought this was a far more appropriate place to put it first, if only to show some respect to ECF members and officials.
Maybe I missed it, is it here ?
Andrew
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
Captain of Legion
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: Resignation Letter
Fair enough, I am packing to move house so haven't been reading everythingCharles W. Wood wrote:It is an open letter as I understand it, and it has been forwarded to the press (as per the Telegraph). So not too much danger.Carl Hibbard wrote:I presume it was never meant to make it to the public domain?andrew martin wrote:Can I ask if the letter has been posted on this forum ?
I would have thought this was a far more appropriate place to put it first, if only to show some respect to ECF members and officials.
Maybe I missed it, is it here ?
Andrew
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
- Greg Breed
- Posts: 723
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 am
- Location: Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
- Contact:
Re: Resignation Letter
Is there no way then that Mr. Walsh can be put to use in those areas that he excels in and give any other role to someone who excels in the areas where he doesn't?Ernie Lazenby wrote:Charles I totally agree that in the Public eye Gerry Walsh always conducts himself correctly. He's done that for the decades I have known him so I don't think that's in doubt. As I have said many times ,and to repeat, he excels in some areas.
Highly unlikely in today's age of instant communications. It's funny I said that because despite that statement there's not often instant communication from the ECF on ANY matter!Carl Hibbard wrote:I presume it was never meant to make it to the public domain?
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)
- Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Contact:
Re: Resignation Letter
My apologises, do you want it removed?Martin Regan wrote:Not correct - it was open to the board and certain ECf officials with the request that it was not for publication. You have been misinformed.It is an open letter as I understand it, and it has been forwarded to the press (as per the Telegraph).
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
Captain of Legion
- Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Contact:
Re: Resignation Letter
I hope theres no suing going on at all.Ernie Lazenby wrote:Just read again the Telegraph article. quote; 'speaking to the daily telegraph Chief Executive Martin Regan etc etc.......................
Seems quite clear to me, the Telegraph reporter says Martin Regan spoke directly to the newspaper. Crikey if thats incorrect its a real messy business. Who will sue who?
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
Captain of Legion
-
David Robertson
Re: Resignation Letter
A far more appropriate post to this Forum would be a response from ECF President, Gerry Walsh. Don't get to agitated by prissy distractions - respect cuts both ways. Where is Walsh's reply to Regan, nearly two weeks after the call from his CEO for his resignation? Where is the respect for the chessplayers of England, their clubs, counties and associations? What do we hear from the President except the whisper of desperation in private phones, and the sound of fingernails clawing at the last remnants of useless 'power'? What do we hear except the trudge of the living dead?andrew martin wrote:Can I ask if the letter has been posted on this forum ? I would have thought this was a far more appropriate place to put it first, if only to show some respect to ECF members and officials.
I vote Upham! We really need you, UphamJohn Upham wrote:Do we have any prospective alternative Presidential candidates for the AGM?
David Robertson
Atticus CC