Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Should the ECF organise more chess?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Yes
12
46%
No
14
54%
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:24 am
The usual expectation is that the British takes place during the school holiday period.
Maybe its time to move forward
....& move away from the rather old fashioned, holding the Championship's during the "Summer Academic Break".
Last edited by Paul Robert Jackson on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Robert Jackson

NickFaulks
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:27 pm
If junior (or main) events need separated groups of size < N qualifying into one final group of size < N then that is what is needed.
The trouble is that we have no idea what will be needed and, based on current practice, we won't have a much better idea two weeks before the event is due to start.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks everyone who voted.

When I asked the question I expected a clear "No", because there there was a consensus the ECF should remain as an umbrella organisation.

Where people have expressed an opinion for "Yes" usually because they see some unmet demand for new events, which I had not anticipated.

John Reyes
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by John Reyes » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 am

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:24 am
The usual expectation is that the British takes place during the school holiday period.
Maybe its time to move forward
....& move away from the rather old fashioned, holding the Championship's during the "Summer Academic Break".
So when would you hold the British, or do you do a US style event?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 am
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:24 am
The usual expectation is that the British takes place during the school holiday period.
Maybe its time to move forward
....& move away from the rather old fashioned, holding the Championship's during the "Summer Academic Break".
So when would you hold the British, or do you do a US style event?
Its more than likely "The British" will not run as planned next year.
....this has the potential to move the competition, especially the large junior events online.
& moving them back to OTB events may be quite difficult.

Open to suggestion's.
Paul Robert Jackson

Wadih Khoury
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 am
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Maybe its time to move forward
....& move away from the rather old fashioned, holding the Championship's during the "Summer Academic Break".
So when would you hold the British, or do you do a US style event?
Its more than likely "The British" will not run as planned next year.
....this has the potential to move the competition, especially the large junior events online.
& moving them back to OTB events may be quite difficult.

Open to suggestion's.
Why not? If covid levels go back to this summer's levels, other countries proved that big tournaments can be safely held.
And if there is some level of vaccinations, then the risk will be even lower

Roger Lancaster
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 pm
Thanks everyone who voted.

When I asked the question I expected a clear "No", because there there was a consensus the ECF should remain as an umbrella organisation.

Where people have expressed an opinion for "Yes" usually because they see some unmet demand for new events, which I had not anticipated.
To be honest, I thought the original question was misconceived. It's easy to say "the ECF should organise" this or that. Too often, what that really means is "I want another member of the ECF, but definitely not me, to organise". The ECF isn't a robotic organism that, without human involvement, organises events.

Paul Cooksey
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:04 pm

I understand Roger's point. I did try to contextualise the question. There seem to be humans who are part of the ECF executive wondering what to do with their resources that the members will appreciate. I thought increasing the number of events the ECF runs might be it, but didn't manage to formulate a question that was very useful.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3420
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:25 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:29 pm
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 am


So when would you hold the British, or do you do a US style event?
Its more than likely "The British" will not run as planned next year.
....this has the potential to move the competition, especially the large junior events online.
& moving them back to OTB events may be quite difficult.

Open to suggestion's.
Why not? If covid levels go back to this summer's levels, other countries proved that big tournaments can be safely held.
And if there is some level of vaccinations, then the risk will be even lower
A reliable vaccine by next spring (even if, almost inevitably, it can't be rolled out everywhere to begin with) should make at least a significant amount of OTB chess feasible again. Certainly the ECF could hope to hold the British Championships in that event IMO.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Bridgeman
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:25 pm
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:29 pm
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm


Its more than likely "The British" will not run as planned next year.
....this has the potential to move the competition, especially the large junior events online.
& moving them back to OTB events may be quite difficult.

Open to suggestion's.
Why not? If covid levels go back to this summer's levels, other countries proved that big tournaments can be safely held.
And if there is some level of vaccinations, then the risk will be even lower
A reliable vaccine by next spring (even if, almost inevitably, it can't be rolled out everywhere to begin with) should make at least a significant amount of OTB chess feasible again. Certainly the ECF could hope to hold the British Championships in that event IMO.
If the government only roll a vaccine out for the most vulnerable people, I would think the issues of mask wearing, protection and social distancing will be ongoing throughout all next year and next winter. Although presumably events will start up again at some point, the higher risk factor might deter large fields gathering for a long time. https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... e-12116971

Roger Lancaster
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:54 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:04 pm
I understand Roger's point. I did try to contextualise the question. There seem to be humans who are part of the ECF executive wondering what to do with their resources that the members will appreciate. I thought increasing the number of events the ECF runs might be it, but didn't manage to formulate a question that was very useful.
It was difficult to phrase my previous post without appearing to criticise Paul, which wasn't my intention. Instead I felt somewhat critical of those respondents who answered 'yes' if that signified that they expected others to undertake more, often unpaid, work without themselves rolling their own sleeves up or intending to do so.

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:29 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:29 pm
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 am


So when would you hold the British, or do you do a US style event?
Its more than likely "The British" will not run as planned next year.
....this has the potential to move the competition, especially the large junior events online.
& moving them back to OTB events may be quite difficult.

Open to suggestion's.
Why not? If covid levels go back to this summer's levels, other countries proved that big tournaments can be safely held.
And if there is some level of vaccinations, then the risk will be even lower
Professor Hiscox
"But he warns that going back to normality will require a vaccine that both stops people getting sick and prevents them spreading the virus. That, he says, will take five years."
Paul Robert Jackson

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3420
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:03 pm

An assessment that is not universally shared. And returning to something more like normal is not the same as "full" normality.

(which may still be a while away, indeed *some* things may be changed permanently by this)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Bridgeman
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:31 pm

There’s a scientific view gathering strength that secondary schools are spreading a lot of virus. Bojo probably slipped up yet again not including some measure there as it’s likely to increase the length of time of this lockdown and future ones.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19082
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:31 pm
There’s a scientific view gathering strength that secondary schools are spreading a lot of virus.
I wouldn't be sure about infant and primary schools either. Not the children, but the mingle of parents gathering around the school to deliver and collect.

Post Reply