FIDE Delegate Election, Short v Jones

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul McKeown

Re: FIDE Delegate Election, Short v Jones

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:Kasparov is not an ideal candidate, I think we all know his history. I asked a Russian colleague a while ago how respected he was as a political figure in Russia. She actually cried with laughter.
Very clear, very true. Russians do not take Kasparov seriously.
Paul Cooksey wrote:But if the choice between Short and Jones, is the same choice as Kasparov or Ilyumzhinov, it is a very easy decision for me.
Couldn't agree more.
Paul Cooksey wrote:Kirsan apopears to be evil and mad. Literally, without hyperbole.
A plain statement of fact.
Paul Cooksey wrote:I'd rather have Kasparov as FIDE president, warts and all. I'd rather have CJ or Alex. I'd rather have Raymond Keene. I'd rather have Steve Giddins.
Agree with that, too. I'd rather even have the howling gibbon.

I can have no respect for FIDE whilst it has a murderer as its President.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:31 pm

One of Rupert Jones' blog entries:

http://fantasychessteam.com/?p=713

"The big meeting on Sunday morning was ‘Statutes’....Oddly there is no English Chess Federation presence considering this meeting will discuss the issues that have led to two lawsuits."

"Freeman gives us our budget and adds that of course it all depends on no more law suits. So far they have cost FIDE 1,350,000 (!) or six times 2011-12 budget. You can sense some real anger in the room."

On the second quote, I wonder whether the ECF lawsuit may have actually strengthened Ilyumzhinov's position, with him gaining more support among developing nations unhappy that FIDE resources have been used on the lawsuit rather then on other chess areas.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:32 pm

benedgell wrote:"Freeman gives us our budget and adds that of course it all depends on no more law suits. So far they have cost FIDE 1,350,000 (!) or six times 2011-12 budget. You can sense some real anger in the room."

... I wonder whether the ECF lawsuit may have actually strengthened Ilyumzhinov's position, with him gaining more support among developing nations unhappy that FIDE resources have been used on the lawsuit rather then on other chess areas.
If so, someone should make sure these nations know why FIDE wasn't awarded its full costs by the courts, and ask them to consider who is responsible for that.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:53 am

Rupert's latest blog entry - interesting insights into day 2 of the FIDE Congress

The PGN Files #12: Congress, Delegates, Decisions and Pastries

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:Rupert's latest blog entry - interesting insights into day 2 of the FIDE Congress
The favourite (aided by an excellent cocktail party which I failed to attend) was Baku. Apart from anything else they are budgeting 1.2 million travel grant to help developing Federations with travel costs. A big incentive always helps.
Says it all really about FIDE and its attitude to elections. Never mind the issue that a top contender and possible defending champion, Armenia, might feel unable to participate.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Andrew Bak wrote:Rupert's latest blog entry - interesting insights into day 2 of the FIDE Congress
The favourite (aided by an excellent cocktail party which I failed to attend) was Baku. Apart from anything else they are budgeting 1.2 million travel grant to help developing Federations with travel costs. A big incentive always helps.

Says it all really about FIDE and its attitude to elections. Never mind the issue that a top contender and possible defending champion, Armenia, might feel unable to participate.
It was hoping someone might pick up on this, as I wasn't sure if my approach was too cynical. Essentially just offer the smaller FIDE nations a few dollars and they'll go for you no matter what.

Having said that, it's not really fair to use the fact that a country may not wish to participate as a reason for not allowing a country to host the Olympiad. It's Armenia's choice whether they wish to enter or not. We've just had the Olympics - the pinnacle of countries competing fairly no matter where they are from. If chess wants to be taken seriously as a sport, the Armenian's should put aside their difference for the sake of chess.

Of course if there might be physical harm done to the Armenian contingent in Azerbaijan, then that's a different issue.
Rupert Jones wrote:The decision did not even go to a vote as statutes said you could only consider bids that included the World Cup as well. Baku won by acclaimation.
Why do countries who bid for the Olympiad also have to bid for the World Cup? They are two completely seperate events taking place at different times.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Andrew Bak wrote: Of course if there might be physical harm done to the Armenian contingent in Azerbaijan, then that's a different issue.
That is what the Armenian team believe, according to reports of views expressed by Aronian. It's why he refused to play there in the Candidates' tournament now to take place in London
Andrew Bak wrote: Why do countries who bid for the Olympiad also have to bid for the World Cup? They are two completely seperate events taking place at different times.
It may well be because the World Cup is not that popular a competition that anyone else bids for it. Against that, it does enable the local organisers to test their abilities with a smaller event.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:18 pm

In the four years to go, lets hope peace will have broken out between the two countries.

From an Armenian source:
Armenia had earlier protested the decision, saying that it will be difficult for the Armenian sportsmen to compete in Baku. Azerbaijan’s Minister of Sport and Youth Azat Radimov promised later there would be no difficulties with visas and other procedures. He further did not rule out the possibility of enrolling Armenians (including the former Soviet grand master, Gary Kasparov) in the organizing committee.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Andrew Bak wrote: Why do countries who bid for the Olympiad also have to bid for the World Cup? They are two completely seperate events taking place at different times.
It may well be because the World Cup is not that popular a competition that anyone else bids for it. Against that, it does enable the local organisers to test their abilities with a smaller event.
It's quite common, surely, for organisations to request bids for packages of sporting events and other franchises. This ensures that the less popular can be sustained as well as the more popular.

A topical example closer to home is that the future operating contracts for the Aquatic Centre and the Copper Box in the Olympic Park have been bundled and awarded together. The Aquatic Centre on its own might not be viable, but it's envisaged that the two together will be.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote: I don't think I'm alone in thinking FIDE is a gravy train for those involved in its management.
I would hope the support Kirsan v oppose Kirsan debate isn't anything to do with perks for the FIDE rep. It was noticed that Nigel's predecessor, excellent arbiter no doubt that he was, did seem to get a lot of invites to major events.

But if we express it at a broader level, the ECF and more generally English/British chess seems to "get the use" of Kasparov and Karpov with its current position. What can the "pro Kirsan" lobby put on the table?

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 pm

You could read http://yorkshirechess.org/boleswa-fide- ... t-success/ to help form an opinion

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 pm

If he had bothered to Ask rupert why he played for Botswana he would have found out that Rupert worked and lived there for many years
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 am

I've just finished reading http://otiosechessnotes.blogspot.co.uk/ , strong stuff!

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 am

Peter,
It is interesting to read Simon Spivack's opinion, based as it, on well researched evidence.
However, I think at the nub of much of the debate is this

"Apparently, there are those in English chess who believe that Ilyumzhinov can be removed by boy scout methods."

What are 'boy scout methods'. Is it tough to fight a battle against Ilyumzhinov by hosting cocktail parties and hanging around with American lawyers in sharp suits? or is it tougher to have to do a lot of groundwork to get to know the FIDE delegates, and yes in some cases make alliances with people you don't really approve of, and yes in some cases pay them bigger bribes?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:25 am

Matthew Turner wrote: I think at the nub of much of the debate is this

"Apparently, there are those in English chess who believe that Ilyumzhinov can be removed by boy scout methods."
Is it not at the heart of the Jones challenge and those who nominated and support him that Ilyumzhinov shouldn't be removed at all?