FIDE Delegate Election, Short v Jones

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
benedgell

Re: FIDE Delegate Election, Short v Jones

Post by benedgell » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:59 am

David Pardoe wrote:.
Also, as regards our semi detached `south centric` ECF....where huge areas north of Watford junction feel a sence of `exclusion`. If the ECF were to hold its meetings periodically in Sheffield..lets say every 18 months or so...that could go some way to helping to reconnect with the membership across the land.
Similar arrangements to hold meetings in Bristol, might help connect with the west country...
I actually brought this point up at the first ECF AGM I went to, and was informed that the last time an ECF meeting was held outside Birmingham/ London the attendance was much lower, and delegates are reasonably happy with where the meetings are held at present.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:15 am

Here's an interesting take on Kasparov and Kirsan's FIDE deal from Croatia

http://chess-news.ru/node/9362

They're not happy about it.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:29 am

Gerard Killoran wrote: They're not happy about it.
The translation isn't very good.

So what effect does this have on the ECF FIDE delegate election?

Not that I have a vote, but if Kirsan and his cronies support zero time defaults, I want them out of office.

So let's ask the difficult question, Is Rupert Jones a Kirsan crony?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:08 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:David - are you aware that half of all ECF meetings are held "north of Watford junction"?
Good grief. On a par with asking RdeC what he thinks of the ECF membership scheme. Sean rapidly losing my support :)
My bad.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 am

benedgell wrote:
David Pardoe wrote:.
Also, as regards our semi detached `south centric` ECF....where huge areas north of Watford junction feel a sence of `exclusion`. If the ECF were to hold its meetings periodically in Sheffield..lets say every 18 months or so...that could go some way to helping to reconnect with the membership across the land.
Similar arrangements to hold meetings in Bristol, might help connect with the west country...
I actually brought this point up at the first ECF AGM I went to, and was informed that the last time an ECF meeting was held outside Birmingham/ London the attendance was much lower, and delegates are reasonably happy with where the meetings are held at present.
Ben,
I dont know what date you are refering to, but I think you need to be careful how you interprete figures and reactions.
Firstly, when was the last ECF AGM / other meeting held north of Nottingham, and where....and what was the agenda that day.
Secondly, look at the normal attendance stats for an ECF AGM meeting(s).
I`d be surprised if the actual regular average attendances were above say 20 - 25% of delegates.
Then look at the breakdown of these...would it be 80% actually come from south of Birmingham.
These people , naturally, may not be keen to travel north to Sheffield....
And, that meeting you mentioned (in the north)....?
How many attended that meeting...and how many of the regular senior ECF figures/board members and others actually attended.
This is not like switching a light on and off.. You tend to get a regular set builds up over time who attend these things...and the rest trend to just send there proxies...
It takes time to break the habit and start attending these things...
But I`m sure that the North-South divide is an issue for the ECF, and measures like holding meetings in the North/Sheffield, or wherever, would help to create a more `inclusive` club....
BRING BACK THE BCF

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 am

While acknowledging David Pardoe's exhortation for inclusiveness and a better North-South balance, it strikes me that in the coming contest for the FIDE Delelegate position there is a possible Pennines, East-West, polarisation with the smell of 'Roses' about it. (Just an observation.)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 am

David Pardoe wrote: Firstly, when was the last ECF AGM / other meeting held north of Nottingham, and where....and what was the agenda that day.
Secondly, look at the normal attendance stats for an ECF AGM meeting(s).
I`d be surprised if the actual regular average attendances were above say 20 - 25% of delegates.
Then look at the breakdown of these...would it be 80% actually come from south of Birmingham.
These people , naturally, may not be keen to travel north to Sheffield....
And, that meeting you mentioned (in the north)....?
How many attended that meeting...and how many of the regular senior ECF figures/board members and others actually attended.
2011 AGM London - 40 delegates
2010 AGM Birmingham - 32 delegates
2009 AGM London - 43 delegates
2008 AGM Birmingham - 32 delegates
2007 AGM Sheffield - no of delegates not recorded in minutes
2006 AGM Gloucester - no of delegates not recorded in minutes

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 am

Coming from outside the long-time chess fraternity, it surprises me that the AGM isn't held at the fortnight-long 'chess festival'. It is common practise in the scientific societies I belong to to have the AGM at the annual scientific meeting. I can't help thinking that might be a good way to try and get more than 40 people along.

Is there a good reason why the AGM is separate from the Championship fortnight?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:2007 AGM Sheffield - no of delegates not recorded in minutes
2006 AGM Gloucester - no of delegates not recorded in minutes
According to the reports at the SCCU site
ECF COUNCIL MEETING
20.10.07 in Sheffield
was due at 1.30 pm. It started prompt and quorate. We made it 24 people present, but a voting figure quoted further down suggests a larger number or malpractice. The larger number must be probable. But, either way, it was the smallest ECF attendance we remember. Apologies for absence far exceeded the number present, and some of the absentees' proxy-holders weren't there.
ECF COUNCIL MEETING 21.10.06 in Bristol
Council met, as it had before, at the Gloucestershire CC ground. No, cricket. It is an excellent venue, being easy to drive to and in possession of a free car park. Those who travel by train, or from Berwick on Tweed, might see it otherwise. About 44 attended.
Numbers at the 2006 meeting might have been boosted by the election battles.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:47 am

AustinElliott wrote: Is there a good reason why the AGM is separate from the Championship fortnight?
Far too many players might attend ! Although perhaps not, because it would be difficult to schedule a period when no one was playing.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:21 am

AustinElliott wrote:Is there a good reason why the AGM is separate from the Championship fortnight?
A few reasons include:
(1) It wouldn't give enough time between the end of the financial year and the AGM for the accounts to be fully audited. (It's been noted elsewhere that the ECF has struggled to do this in recent years, holding the AGM two months after the British.) So you'd first have to agree to move the financial year.
(2) The British might not be held in England. If it were held in some areas of the British Isles, there'd be a danger of the meeting not being quorate.
(3) Players and arbiters might be busy playing and arbiting. The Chess Arbiters' Association AGM had 6 attendees in 2012, when it held its meeting on the middle Sunday. Half of those were only there part-time, dipping in and out to do other duties.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
AustinElliott wrote:Is there a good reason why the AGM is separate from the Championship fortnight?
A few reasons include:
(1) It wouldn't give enough time between the end of the financial year and the AGM for the accounts to be fully audited. (It's been noted elsewhere that the ECF has struggled to do this in recent years, holding the AGM two months after the British.) So you'd first have to agree to move the financial year.
(2) The British might not be held in England. If it were held in some areas of the British Isles, there'd be a danger of the meeting not being quorate.
(3) Players and arbiters might be busy playing and arbiting. The Chess Arbiters' Association AGM had 6 attendees in 2012, when it held its meeting on the middle Sunday. Half of those were only there part-time, dipping in and out to do other duties.
In July 2008 an Extraordinary Council Meeting was held in Birmingham on the day before the start of the British Championships in Liverpool. (See http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/0708/bcf.htm.)

Several members of the control team sent apologies for absence, as they already had to be in Liverpool on that day.

Of those present at the meeting - 29 according to Richard Haddrell - it was noted at the time that only two would be playing at the Championships during the ensuing fortnight.

There are a number of conclusions which you might draw, but I would suggest that one such conclusion is that holding a Council Meeting at the Championships is unlikely to be convenient for many of the current representatives.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: There are a number of conclusions which you might draw, but I would suggest that one such conclusion is that holding a Council Meeting at the Championships is unlikely to be convenient for many of the current representatives.
One conclusion is that some of those making decisions as ECF Council for the Federation are disinterested in playing, arbiting or spectating at one of the Federation's annual chess activities.

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Or perhaps simply can't afford to? It's not exactly cheap. Whereas if I were a delegate/representative attending Council I would expect my travelling expenses to be reimbursed.

PB

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Paul Buswell wrote:Or perhaps simply can't afford to? It's not exactly cheap. Whereas if I were a delegate/representative attending Council I would expect my travelling expenses to be reimbursed.
If a Council meeting were held alongside the Congress, the logical approach would be for a county or league to appoint as its representative, someone expecting to attend for chess reasons.