Thread withdrawn

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
JustinHorton

Re: Think not what the ECF can do for you, but what you can do for the ECF

Post by JustinHorton » Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:08 pm

I'm getting enough grief about things I've said without people putting words into my mouth.
Uh huh
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 pm

It really would help the quality of the debate generally if people resisted the temptation to selectively quote or make things up. There are some serial offenders and for all Nick Faulks's protestations about the behaviour of others, he is one of the worse examples. Its actually rather childish behaviour from a mature adult.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 17, 2019 12:59 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 pm
It really would help the quality of the debate generally if people resisted the temptation to selectively quote or make things up. There are some serial offenders and for all Nick Faulks's protestations about the behaviour of others, he is one of the worse examples. Its actually rather childish behaviour from a mature adult.
Who are you again?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri May 17, 2019 5:41 am

It doesn't matter who I am - all posters are entitled to be treated with respect. And if you are going to casually misrepresent somebody, it might be better to do your research first The forum allows for careful reflection on the views of others and even if you disagree with them it is far better to pause before bashing out your latest response as if it were a game of blitz. The solution to all this is in your hands as I explained earlier in the month. I'm not expecting you to do the decent thing but I've no intention of going away either, however convenient you might find that.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 am

To save anyone else curious 5 minutes: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9932#p226410

This thread doing for my view of this forum what attending a Council meeting does for my view of the ECF.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 am

Fair enough - but if Nick Faulks continues to complain about people's conduct towards others , I'll probably feel obliged to point out his hypocrisy in doing so. And his idea of pretending he doesn't know who I am or what he did to irritate me is essentially a form of bullying which shouldn't be condoned by anybody.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 am
To save anyone else curious 5 minutes: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9932#p226410

This thread doing for my view of this forum what attending a Council meeting does for my view of the ECF.
Thanks, that is helpful and I expect you have correctly located the source of this little tiff.

Evidently I did not at the time read "some people might be happy when they [juniors] miss a weekend" as encouraging to juniors, and I still don't. However, I can certainly accept JTM's assurance that he was merely representing a view which is sadly prevalent in English chess and that he takes the opposite one himself.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Carl/ Jack - would it be possible to have a special thread for Nick Faulks and J T Melsom to carve bits off each other so we can get back to discussing how ECF membership income could be spent? If expressing my viewpoint gets me a bit of trolling and insults from Paul and Justin it's a price I'm happy to pay; it's easily enough ignored.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 pm
Carl/ Jack - would it be possible to have a special thread for Nick Faulks and J T Melsom to carve bits off each other
Bit late, the source of that has now been uncovered so I assume it's over.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
If expressing my viewpoint gets me a bit of trolling and insults from Paul and Justin
I was wondering if you could start a thread on the subject of self-awareness.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri May 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Maybe we should have a vote on putting Nick and JT, and Andrew and Justin on their own little islands?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:48 pm
Maybe we should have a vote on putting Nick and JT, and Andrew and Justin on their own little islands?
Not to mention your own...
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Carl/ Jack - would it be possible to have a special thread for Nick Faulks and J T Melsom to carve bits off each other so we can get back to discussing how ECF membership income could be spent? If expressing my viewpoint gets me a bit of trolling and insults from Paul and Justin it's a price I'm happy to pay; it's easily enough ignored.
It would be nice if we all kept to the topic I agree :roll:

I must admit to not "being here" that often at the moment due to sheer amount of work so threads get long before I even read them.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri May 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Good to see Nick has responded to the original issue. Bit disappointed others have jumped in with their own suggestions because these trivialise the whole debate and why I took exception to Nick's conduct. Maybe I need to take a break but don't ever under-estimate the hurt somebody might have after years of sometimes fruitless battle and sacrifice to help with junior chess and then have it dismissed by an ill-informed stranger.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sat May 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Trying to pull the thread back on topic, here's a suggestion for what us plebs would like the ECF to spend some money on.

How about an annual £5,000 congress contingency fund? The idea is to rescue events which get cancelled because the organisers believe the event is going to lose money and encourage organisers to hold events which they think from the start might lose money.

The terms would be something like this. Any event which satisfies the following conditions can claim up to £200 from the fund to cover a loss:

1) The event requires at least silver membership (so not leagues and not internal club events)
2) No IMs or GMs (so not sponsoring international level chess)
3) Some additional checks to ensure that given normal conditions the event would break even, i.e. costs (hall hire + arbiters fees/expenses) + prize money >= expected entrance fees

Such a fund could rescue / incentivise up to 25 events a year which might not otherwise take place.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.