Page 1 of 1
Membership
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:37 pm
by Ian Deswarte
I have just renewed my Gold membership. Last year it was £34. This year it is £39. an increase of 15%. I don't know what activities you are involving yourself in other than maintaining a grading database, but I would suggest you need to cut down.
Re: Membership
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:54 pm
by Andrew Zigmond
Ian Deswarte wrote: ↑Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:37 pm
I have just renewed my Gold membership. Last year it was £34. This year it is £39. an increase of 15%. I don't know what activities you are involving yourself in other than maintaining a grading database, but I would suggest you need to cut down.
Presumably you are aware that this is the English Chess Forum, not the English Chess Federation forum.
Re: Membership
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:33 pm
by Paul Cooksey
Hi Ian - Paul Shepherd is the Surrey Rep to the ECF. They do do more than just grading, but I think you will find him sympathetic to your general point.
Re: Membership
Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:37 am
by Stewart Reuben
Dear Ian,
The ECF does much more than jut provide a Grading database. I note that you are moderately active about your FIDE Rating. The ECF is essential for mainting h link between the ECF and FIDE.
Perhaps you should be mre internationally active? Why not play international Senior chess?
The matter of funding the ECF and the purposes of doing so were quite extensively discussed at the last ECF AGM. Council affirmed that it believed it was better to extend activity rather than withdraw into a shell. Personally I don't believe in minimising expenditure. That way would lead to a withering away of chess. I believe in offering value for money. That may not come back having an immediate personal impact. Your fee, and everybody else's, partly goes to developing chess.
Re: Membership
Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 am
by Jacques Parry
Stewart Reuben wrote: ↑Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:37 am
Perhaps you should be mre internationally active? Why not play international Senior chess?
Some people have qualms about unnecessary air travel these days.
Re: Membership
Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:01 am
by NickFaulks
Jacques Parry wrote: ↑Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 am
Some people have qualms about unnecessary air travel these days.
People who consider sporting competitions against foreigners to be "unnecessary" probably shouldn't take part in them.