Council Papers are out

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Sedgwick

Re: Council Papers are out

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:49 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:30 pm
Did no-one raise a couple of apparent recent anomalies? These being the curious case of the late and reversing finishing order in the Grand Prix and the strangeness of the timing and language surrounding the appointment of the Development Officer?
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:33 pm
Obviously those who were at the meeting can speak for themselves but the detailed report I've received doesn't mention the first point. The latter was also unmentioned other than a suggestion that a review of the matter was in hand.
I had suggested to Keith Arkell that he should ask the Gold Member representatives to raise the first issue. Keith didn't do so for reasons which he has explained to me privately. I shall leave him to comment or not as he wishes.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 am
I think it should also be in the public domain that one of the bronze membership representatives did not attend and instructed no proxy, so a good number of the rank and file were disenfranchised. This should not be taken as a criticism of the representative concerned as I strongly suspect extenuating circumstances but hopefully action will be taken to avoid a repetition.
If any member of Council has not appointed a proxy and then doesn't turn up, it's not clear to me that any action can be taken, whatever the circumstances. What do you think should happen?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:25 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 am
I think it should also be in the public domain that one of the bronze membership representatives did not attend and instructed no proxy, so a good number of the rank and file were disenfranchised. This should not be taken as a criticism of the representative concerned as I strongly suspect extenuating circumstances but hopefully action will be taken to avoid a repetition.
If any member of Council has not appointed a proxy and then doesn't turn up, it's not clear to me that any action can be taken, whatever the circumstances. What do you think should happen?
If it was a league or county association that ended up disenfranchising themselves in this way I would expect them to stay closer to the process next year and ensure that somebody attended the meeting or instructed a proxy so that the votes could be cast. Of course if the circumstances could not have been legislated for then it's just one of those things.

Of course this assumes it's an organisation I have a stake in - if not then it's not the blindest bit of my business. In this instance a fairly large constituency (half the voting weight of bronze members) were denied their vote. I'm not a direct constituent but many of the chess players I place myself at the service of are.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:21 pm

Draft (I assume) minutes have been published. At a glance they look fair and accurate to me though others who attended may like to confirm. I thought Ursula Wielgosz who attended as an "observer" made a good contribution: volunteering to be one of the tellers when no one else did and asking some pertinent questions.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Something that's not previously been mentioned.
Internet Chess - TW asked what progress was being made with the provision of an ECF internet chess service which he felt was overdue.JC explained that NT is leading this area and asked him to provide a summary of progress. NT explained that an ECF internet service was being established based on online ECF clubs/ teams with a number of the leading providers, open to ECF members and supporters. The service was currently in beta test with a test group of players participating in scheduled tournaments on a weekly basis. The plan will be to stage international events as well as the weekly tournaments in due course. Once in production the results from ECF club games will be used to provide rapid and blitz internet ratingsfor club members which would be published on a monthly basis on the ECF site. NT noted that a number of Council members were already in the beta test group and invited further participation from interested council members.TW asked when the service would go live and NT replied that he was currently planning for a launch in November although a specific date had not yet been decided.
In the light of comments elsewhere, what would the ECF's anti computer use strategy be? Perhaps it just devolves the problem to the external sites being used.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:15 pm

Angus French wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:21 pm
Draft (I assume) minutes have been published. At a glance they look fair and accurate to me though others who attended may like to confirm.
A few comments attributed to PC incorrectly. Only the question about membership fees asked by me. PS commented on grading, not sure if all the other comments by him.

Ursula Wielgosz

Post by Ursula Wielgosz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Angus French wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:21 pm
Draft (I assume) minutes have been published. At a glance they look fair and accurate to me though others who attended may like to confirm. I thought Ursula Wielgosz who attended as an "observer" made a good contribution: volunteering to be one of the tellers when no one else did and asking some pertinent questions.
Thank you :D. I didn't know what to expect, and rather enjoyed the event.