Development News (ECF website)

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Christopher Kreuzer

Development News (ECF website)

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:40 am

Was poking around the ECF website, trying to find anything about the ECF Library, when I found this:

Development News

With the content:
pending...
Hmm.

John Swain

Re: Development News (ECF website)

Post by John Swain » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 am

The ECF website carries the news of Carl Portman's resignation, with immediate effect, from the post of Development Officer:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/develop ... signation/

Carl's resignation letter may be found at:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... ortman.pdf

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:39 am

veni, vidi, verti

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:19 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:39 am
veni, vidi, verti
It adds credibility to a theory that the delay in appointing a Development Officer was down to internal feuding between ECF Directors as to who was the favoured candidate.

It can be a disadvantage to have a limited number of director level elected positions. Under the old unincorporated structure of the BCF, appointing a Development Officer could well have been a Council decision by election, or possibly that of a board with more extensive and non-executive membership.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:49 am

Roger, the problem isn't the structure of the board - it's the lack of self discipline / collective responsibility displayed by some of the members. One of whom seems to be a serial offender, whatever he might have achieved in his post.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:19 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:49 am
Roger, the problem isn't the structure of the board - it's the lack of self discipline / collective responsibility displayed by some of the members. One of whom seems to be a serial offender, whatever he might have achieved in his post.
Which is who?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:43 am

It has become clear that it will be impossible for me to work with certain people
in the ECF,
would, I imagine, be true for almost every BCF / ECF Official over the years. It would be unusual if it was not true.

Of course, this applies to most spheres of life.

A sorry end indeed.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:21 am

This is a pity as Carl P would have done a great job. I quite understand his decision though - it would be very difficult to do the job in such circumstances. Ordinarily, the job would now go to the losing finalist...

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Congratualtions to all involved. Another stunning own goal by the English Chess Community. I wonder if that big dummy will fit back in the gaping hole?

Carl - Totally understandable. Who needs all of that? I look forward to your next contribution.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:41 pm

This is a big blow for English chess, coming at a time when the ECF seemed poised to make a significant leap forward.

Obviously the overriding cause of Carl Portman's resignation is the fallout from Tim Wall's complaint and that is likely to rumble on although I don't think for one minute that Tim's intention was to force Carl from the job.

Choosing my words carefully we do need to consider the second point made by Carl Portman in his resignation statement. It seems obvious to me which individual was responsible and what platform was used.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:41 pm
Choosing my words carefully we do need to consider the second point made by Carl Portman in his resignation statement. It seems obvious to me which individual was responsible and what platform was used.
Well spit it out man, if you think you have something to say.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:34 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:26 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Okay Justin, I will.

Carl Portman alleges libelous comments on social media and an email from an individual that he considers to be harassment. You have exchanged words with Carl Portman on this forum and a private message you sent to him demanding an answer to a specific question has been referenced (incidentally I would only consider Carl Portman to have very limited accountability to you or indeed myself). I would hazard a guess this is what Carl Portman is referring to. If the relevant social media platform is this forum then ultimately the authority lies with another Carl.

From my point of view the best opportunity we've had in years to tackle the declining English chess scene has been derailed by a stupid, unnecessary spat. It probably doesn't bother you that much; you're not involved in grassroots chess and your interest as a blogger and journalist is good copy. However it does bother me.

I will be at work until late (just heading off now) so won't be in an immediate position to reply.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:34 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Okay Justin, I will.

Carl Portman alleges libelous comments on social media and an email from an individual that he considers to be harassment.
I'd say there was a difference between a PM and an email, but that's probably moot; what is clear is that Carl P did threaten to sue someone on here, it wasn't Justin, and Carl P subsequently cleared it up with that person

For obvious historical reasons, I'm really against threatening to sue people involved in chess

It would appear that Carl did a good job with Chess in Prisons, and the interview panel clearly thought he'd do the same in this role; if the panel thought Tim was also in a position to do a good job, but preferred Carl, then presumably Tim will now be offered the job
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:34 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Okay Justin, I will.

Carl Portman alleges libelous comments on social media and an email from an individual that he considers to be harassment. You have exchanged words with Carl Portman on this forum and a private message you sent to him demanding an answer to a specific question has been referenced (incidentally I would only consider Carl Portman to have very limited accountability to you or indeed myself). I would hazard a guess this is what Carl Portman is referring to.
OK.

You did understand, on posting, that to accuse someone of harrassment and libel is a serious matter, and potentially a libel in itself? And you did understand that there are implications if you repeat somebody else's libels?
Last edited by JustinHorton on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:24 pm

John Swain wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 am

Carl's resignation letter ....

He might as well have handed that to the interview panel rather than his “credo”.