ECF Finance Meeting

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
NickFaulks
Posts: 6125
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:39 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:23 pm
Is it planned to revert to even numbered years afterwards?
At the moment I would have to say yes, but nothing is certain.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Alan Kennedy
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:33 am

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Alan Kennedy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:18 am

John Reyes wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:39 pm
i hope everyone here in the forum will support the ecf by paying their membership early please
Well said John. It is good to see such positivity.

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:03 pm

Is there a date pencilled in for this years (2021) Finance Meeting?
Paul Robert Jackson

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 1968
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Europe

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:27 pm

24 April

Nick Grey
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:19 pm

are they looking at online only offer as it may be a hard sell for members?

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:19 pm
are they looking at online only offer as it may be a hard sell for members?
Online chess is predominantly free
....an "Online Membership" category may be a possible short term solution.
Hard to say what the % uptake would be
....but an ever increasing number of cheats, engine users, dishonest individual's (call them what you like) may deter some individual's from joining.
Paul Robert Jackson

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19258
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm
Online chess is predominantly free
....an "Online Membership" category may be a possible short term solution.
I thought they had already done this. You aren't allowed to play in ECF online graded events unless a "supporter" of the ECF which is charged at £ 10 a year.

Over the board chess as generally known isn't going to be possible in the UK until such time as freedom of movement and freedom of association are restored. Doom mongers in SAGE seem to want to retain restrictions for ever, not withstanding a supposedly successful vaccine campaign.

RobWillmoth
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by RobWillmoth » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:00 am

Re comment by Nick below

are they looking at online only offer as it may be a hard sell for members?

Added to the package is the go membership scheme. You have to pay a small extra fee extra for this. However it can literally save you thousands of pounds in discounts over the course of a year.

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:48 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 pm
Over the board chess as generally known isn't going to be possible in the UK until such time as freedom of movement and freedom of association are restored. Doom mongers in SAGE seem to want to retain restrictions for ever, not withstanding a supposedly successful vaccine campaign.
......looks like freedom of association is going to be restricted until autumn (end of the year).
Making OTB Chess Congresses impossible.
Paul Robert Jackson

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:35 am

RobWillmoth wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:00 am
Added to the package is the go membership scheme. You have to pay a small extra fee extra for this. However it can literally save you thousands of pounds in discounts over the course of a year.
Some of the companies look like they may not be trading in 12 months.
Paul Robert Jackson

Angus French
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Angus French » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:46 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 pm
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm
Online chess is predominantly free
....an "Online Membership" category may be a possible short term solution.
I thought they had already done this. You aren't allowed to play in ECF online graded events unless a "supporter" of the ECF which is charged at £ 10 a year.
ECF- and 4NCL-organised online events which are ECF-rated require participants to be ECF Supporters or ECF Members but I think it's possible other events may not. (So far as I can see, no stipulations for the rating of online events are given on the membership pages of the ECF website.)

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:33 pm

Angus French wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:46 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 pm
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm
Online chess is predominantly free
....an "Online Membership" category may be a possible short term solution.
I thought they had already done this. You aren't allowed to play in ECF online graded events unless a "supporter" of the ECF which is charged at £ 10 a year.
ECF- and 4NCL-organised online events which are ECF-rated require participants to be ECF Supporters or ECF Members but I think it's possible other events may not. (So far as I can see, no stipulations for the rating of online events are given on the membership pages of the ECF website.)
I wonder if the ECF are planning a specific category of "Online Member" for the 2021-2022 Season?
Paul Robert Jackson

John Reyes
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by John Reyes » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:15 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:19 pm
are they looking at online only offer as it may be a hard sell for members?
you have to speak to the membership officer, but robert is doing a good job
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

John Reyes
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by John Reyes » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:43 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Angus French wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:46 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 pm


I thought they had already done this. You aren't allowed to play in ECF online graded events unless a "supporter" of the ECF which is charged at £ 10 a year.
ECF- and 4NCL-organised online events which are ECF-rated require participants to be ECF Supporters or ECF Members but I think it's possible other events may not. (So far as I can see, no stipulations for the rating of online events are given on the membership pages of the ECF website.)
I wonder if the ECF are planning a specific category of "Online Member" for the 2021-2022 Season?

i know there was a ecf meeting with delegates last Wednesday 10/2/21 and two weeks ago about online grading and votes and also about term of roles
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:48 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 pm
Over the board chess as generally known isn't going to be possible in the UK until such time as freedom of movement and freedom of association are restored. Doom mongers in SAGE seem to want to retain restrictions for ever, not withstanding a supposedly successful vaccine campaign.
......looks like freedom of association is going to be restricted until autumn (end of the year).
Making OTB Chess Congresses impossible.
Autumn is not the "end of the year" save in a strict scientific sense.

By around September, all vulnerable groups should have been vaccinated twice and most restrictions will surely be lifted as a result.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Post Reply