ECF Finance Meeting

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:13 pm

just wanted to say that the ECF Agenda has been published just this minute
Is there a link to their location?
Thank you.
Paul Robert Jackson


Mick Norris
Posts: 8349
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:16 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:23 pm

All the above documents are from here, from which we can see there is currently no:
  • Finance Director's Report
  • Budget and Management Accounts Spreadsheet
  • Report by the Director of Membership on Predicted Membership Renewals 2020-21
which I assume will be the more interesting documents.

Nick Grey
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:46 pm

the Director of Membership on Predicted Membership Renewals 2020-21. wow if he had e-mailed all he may get a better Prediction.

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:46 pm
the Director of Membership on Predicted Membership Renewals 2020-21. wow if he had e-mailed all he may get a better Prediction.
This is why I asked about members definitely planning to renew their memberships on the "Membership Renewal "post.
The financial future of the ECF may well be dependent on how many members renew their memberships in September 2020.
Paul Robert Jackson

Angus French
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Angus French » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:23 pm
All the above documents are from here, from which we can see there is currently no:
  • Finance Director's Report
  • Budget and Management Accounts Spreadsheet
  • Report by the Director of Membership on Predicted Membership Renewals 2020-21
which I assume will be the more interesting documents.
Those are the papers I'd most like to see - along with the report of the Chair of the Finance Committee (I'm eager to see some scrutiny of the Board's plans). Presumably the papers should be available soon given the deadline for submission of proposals was 12 June. (I'd like to think that all Board-produced documents should be ready by the same date.)
Last edited by Angus French on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Reyes
Posts: 464
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by John Reyes » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:34 pm

You will see on Friday what the silver rep put forward and hope to be email to all the silver members and I will added it here when it is summited
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

Angus French
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Angus French » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:23 pm
All the above documents are from here, from which we can see there is currently no:
  • Finance Director's Report
  • Budget and Management Accounts Spreadsheet
  • Report by the Director of Membership on Predicted Membership Renewals 2020-21
which I assume will be the more interesting documents.
Those are the papers I'd most like to see - along with the report of the Chair of the Finance Committee (I'm eager to see some scrutiny of the Board's plans). Presumably the papers should be available soon given the deadline for submission of proposals was 12 June. (I'd like to think that all Board-produced documents should be ready by the same date.)
Pleased to say that all documents are now available.

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Angus French wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:13 pm
Angus French wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:23 pm
All the above documents are from here, from which we can see there is currently no:
  • Finance Director's Report
  • Budget and Management Accounts Spreadsheet
  • Report by the Director of Membership on Predicted Membership Renewals 2020-21
which I assume will be the more interesting documents.
Those are the papers I'd most like to see - along with the report of the Chair of the Finance Committee (I'm eager to see some scrutiny of the Board's plans). Presumably the papers should be available soon given the deadline for submission of proposals was 12 June. (I'd like to think that all Board-produced documents should be ready by the same date.)
Pleased to say that all documents are now available.
Thank you for making these documents & information available.
Paul Robert Jackson

Mick Norris
Posts: 8349
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:42 pm

Would be useful to see some commentary, Angus, when you've had chance to digest them
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Nick Grey
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:18 pm

After Chelsea win.

John Reyes
Posts: 464
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by John Reyes » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:02 pm

This is what we have sent to all the silver Members

So far we have had some comments and I will reply to them in due course


Dear ECF Silver member

This email is from John Reyes and Keith Jones, ECF Silver Members’ reps.

Firstly, we want to say that we hope all of you are safe and well and taking care of yourselves during the Coronavirus pandemic that has affected us all so much. You may have seen on the ECF web site that the delayed ECF Finance Council meeting is on the 18th July 2020 at 1:30pm, and we are asking how you would like us to vote.

You will know that OTB chess is not going to resume in the short to medium term, and that most players will not play OTB until it is safe to do so. The ECF is proposing to keep the membership rates the same as last year. As there will be no Congresses or club chess yet, and recognising the great uncertainty as to what will happen next season, we would like to put a suggestion to the members ---

In the short term
£10 to be the fee for an Adult ECF Supporter, and £5 for a Junior ECF Supporter (then when all is well again members can upgrade to Bronze (£18), Silver (£27), Gold (£39) or Platinum (£75)). The reason for this is that while OTB chess is not going on but online chess is, we would like the ECF to have sufficient income to cover their costs.

In the long term
That the ECF should bring back the 3-year membership subscription for players who wish to pay in advance, to keep the ECF solvent. Alternatively, members may want to keep their membership going ‘as is’, particularly if you expect to be able to play OTB next season.

We would like to put this to the members, but if you have any other views or ideas, please let us know

Keith Jones - dnr-silver-01@englishchess.org.uk
John Reyes – dnr-silver-02@englishchess.org.uk
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

Angus French
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Angus French » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:20 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:02 pm
This is what we have sent to all the silver Members

So far we have had some comments and I will reply to them in due course


Dear ECF Silver member

This email is from John Reyes and Keith Jones, ECF Silver Members’ reps.

Firstly, we want to say that we hope all of you are safe and well and taking care of yourselves during the Coronavirus pandemic that has affected us all so much. You may have seen on the ECF web site that the delayed ECF Finance Council meeting is on the 18th July 2020 at 1:30pm, and we are asking how you would like us to vote.

You will know that OTB chess is not going to resume in the short to medium term, and that most players will not play OTB until it is safe to do so. The ECF is proposing to keep the membership rates the same as last year. As there will be no Congresses or club chess yet, and recognising the great uncertainty as to what will happen next season, we would like to put a suggestion to the members ---

In the short term
£10 to be the fee for an Adult ECF Supporter, and £5 for a Junior ECF Supporter (then when all is well again members can upgrade to Bronze (£18), Silver (£27), Gold (£39) or Platinum (£75)). The reason for this is that while OTB chess is not going on but online chess is, we would like the ECF to have sufficient income to cover their costs.

In the long term
That the ECF should bring back the 3-year membership subscription for players who wish to pay in advance, to keep the ECF solvent. Alternatively, members may want to keep their membership going ‘as is’, particularly if you expect to be able to play OTB next season.

We would like to put this to the members, but if you have any other views or ideas, please let us know

Keith Jones - dnr-silver-01@englishchess.org.uk
John Reyes – dnr-silver-02@englishchess.org.uk
One of the Bronze members’ reps responds...

The Board have proposed that the Supporter fee is increased from £5 to £10. (There’s no junior Supporter fee as presumably there doesn’t really need to be if the charge for junior Silver membership is £6.)

So far as I can see it’s not currently possibly to upgrade from being a Supporter to, say, a Silver member for the difference in charge between the two – i.e. £27 - £10 = £17. You have to pay the full charge for Silver membership (on top of the already-paid Supporter charge). This is what the Silver members’ reps also seem to believe. If we’re right about this then, like the Silver members reps', I think a change should be made – to allow an existing Supporter member to become a Silver for £17 (or a Bronze member for £8 etc.). This would be consistent with the way other upgrades work and I think it would be practical in the present circumstances – without graded OTB chess, players may not wish to acquire a full membership but might want to make some contribution and be able to play in ECF-organised online events.

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:25 pm

Angus French wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:20 pm
So far as I can see it’s not currently possibly to upgrade from being a Supporter to, say, a Silver member for the difference in charge between the two – i.e. £27 - £10 = £17. You have to pay the full charge for Silver membership (on top of the already-paid Supporter charge).
If you're right then there's an error in the Finance Director's report where he explains the Director of Membership's assumptions:

"Additional supporters will be gained as a result of online chess activity. This is a deliberately conservative estimate. It assumed that while a significant number of existing members will re-join as supporters to play online the majority of these will upgrade once over-the-board play is resumed."

Note the use of the word "upgrade".

Post Reply