Membership Renewal

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Wadih Khoury
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Wadih Khoury » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:33 am


Yes, players need coaches, the problem is if those coaches are adding value not by the greatness of their coaching but by how much of an obstacle they can insert between the parents and the England teams. They say to the parents, hire me, I can get your kid into the England team. And they say to the England selectors, hire me, I can get you the good kids. We should be clearer where the line between coach and agent is. Otherwise kids get stuck with the coaches who are best at getting them into the England setup, rather than the coaches who are best at coaching.
What is the context of the above?

Steven DuCharme
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:51 pm
Location: West Bend,WI USA

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Steven DuCharme » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:22 pm

I bought a platinum membership ... don't spend it all in one place :)
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

John McKenna
Posts: 4204
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by John McKenna » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:05 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:03 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:33 am


Yes, players need coaches, the problem is if those coaches are adding value not by the greatness of their coaching but by how much of an obstacle they can insert between the parents and the England teams. They say to the parents, hire me, I can get your kid into the England team. And they say to the England selectors, hire me, I can get you the good kids. We should be clearer where the line between coach and agent is. Otherwise kids get stuck with the coaches who are best at getting them into the England setup, rather than the coaches who are best at coaching.
What is the context of the above?
Cess in Skoolz??
Last edited by John McKenna on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

Simon Rogers
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:28 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:02 pm
Anybody have any updates on the numbers who are renewing their memberships?
I've had a look at the other clubs in the Blackpool and Fylde Chess League and the uptake is not encouraging.
It is between 30 and 40 per cent.
There is one club in our league, where no one has renewed their membership.

John Upham
Posts: 4814
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:28 pm
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:02 pm
Anybody have any updates on the numbers who are renewing their memberships?
I've had a look at the other clubs in the Blackpool and Fylde Chess League and the uptake is not encouraging.
It is between 30 and 40 per cent.
There is one club in our league, where no one has renewed their membership.
I've noticed that some club officials hold a personal opinion (e.g. "I do not play online chess") and they believe that members of their club should hold the same opinion i.e. they can be selective about what they pass on to their membership. Communications become throttled at this point.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Nick Grey
Posts: 1583
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:04 pm

I believe the issue is simple. If members of our clubs have not renewed their club membership they may not renew ECF. My clubs have cut fees substantially but ECF have not. But that seems fair to me.

All virtual chess AGMs or committee meetings seem less well attended than last year. Let us see how much is solved at the AGM.

On selective many have personal opinion that OtB may miss whole season but online chess is a way forward. And will not meet half of our members needs.

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:13 am

John Upham wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:57 pm
I've noticed that some club officials hold a personal opinion (e.g. "I do not play online chess") and they believe that members of their club should hold the same opinion i.e. they can be selective about what they pass on to their membership. Communications become throttled at this point.
I am aware of Club Officials imposing their personal views about "Online Chess" on members in my local area.
Nick Grey wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:04 pm
On selective many have personal opinion that OtB may miss whole season but online chess is a way forward. And will not meet half of our members needs.
Clubs, Congress Organisers, the ECF:
....may have to accept that OTB Chess will miss not just one season, but could take up to 5 years to recover.
Paul Robert Jackson

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 am

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:13 am
Clubs, Congress Organisers, the ECF:
....may have to accept that OTB Chess will miss not just one season, but could take up to 5 years to recover.
Would you speculate why that might be? Would it be that continued government restrictions make it impossible or at best unattractive to organise events in the usual manner? Or is it that enforced inactivity will have provoked a mass retirement from active play?

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:30 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 am
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:13 am
Clubs, Congress Organisers, the ECF:
....may have to accept that OTB Chess will miss not just one season, but could take up to 5 years to recover.
Would you speculate why that might be? Would it be that continued government restrictions make it impossible or at best unattractive to organise events in the usual manner? Or is it that enforced inactivity will have provoked a mass retirement from active play?
A mixture of both.
Up to 24 months of Government Restrictions (which will include travel), & the continuing closure of venues.
The time it will take for people to return to socialising in a more "normal way".
Paul Robert Jackson

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 1961
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Europe

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:18 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:30 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 am
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:13 am
Clubs, Congress Organisers, the ECF:
....may have to accept that OTB Chess will miss not just one season, but could take up to 5 years to recover.
Would you speculate why that might be? Would it be that continued government restrictions make it impossible or at best unattractive to organise events in the usual manner? Or is it that enforced inactivity will have provoked a mass retirement from active play?
A mixture of both.
Up to 24 months of Government Restrictions (which will include travel), & the continuing closure of venues.
The time it will take for people to return to socialising in a more "normal way".
I think the last is an exaggeration. There will be some that will not be happy resuming. There are others who, had there not been Government restrictions, would never have stopped and will resume immediately. Resumption may be at a lower level but I think it will happen as soon as it is allowed.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:20 pm

And after lengthy restrictions, some will want to socialise more rather than less.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Clayton
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by David Clayton » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:17 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:13 am

I am aware of Club Officials imposing their personal views about "Online Chess" on members in my local area.
The Blackpool and Fylde league have been running online individual events all summer and they have just started an online league of two divisions, including Bare Village. Leyland congresses have already held online closed events over the summer. Why not come and join us Paul?

David Clayton
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by David Clayton » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:21 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:18 pm
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:30 am

A mixture of both.
Up to 24 months of Government Restrictions (which will include travel), & the continuing closure of venues.
The time it will take for people to return to socialising in a more "normal way".
I think the last is an exaggeration. There will be some that will not be happy resuming. There are others who, had there not been Government restrictions, would never have stopped and will resume immediately. Resumption may be at a lower level but I think it will happen as soon as it is allowed.
Being involved in organising events, there are significant number of juniors taking up the game online, I am sure some of these would love to come along to play OtB and meet their new online friends when OtB chess starts again.

John Reyes
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by John Reyes » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:12 pm

Just to let people know that we have not heard much from the silver members but please tell us how you wanted us to vote and your views etc
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

John Reyes
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by John Reyes » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:33 pm

Also see that this was discussed at the board meeting that Chris goodall seem to be against the ECF membership but wanted to highlight this

Cost reduction actions highlighted to the Board previously were as follows:
• Staff reduced to two in the Office (with Christine Carcas finishing on Thursday this
week)
• Move to a smaller physical office/ home working (decision as to which one, or a
combination of both, outstanding)
• Reduction in Council and Board expenses – more video/tele-conferencing (ongoing)
• Bringing in-house the company secretarial services
• Bookkeeping costs reduced
• Grading system administration costs under review (administration contract for renewal
in October)
• Commitment to expenditure by Directors to be agreed up front with the CE and FD
• Tentative change made to broaden the Development Officer Fund to cover strategic and
developmental activities, subject to approval of the change by the Chess Trust
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

Post Reply