Membership Renewal

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ian Thompson
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:08 pm

Angus French wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 pm
According to the ECF lists available to organisers, as at yesterday there were 4016 members (including Junior Free Silver members) and 137 supporters. I don't have figures for the start of September 2019 to compare against but the 1/10/2019 counts were: 7524 members and 12 supporters.
I wonder if there'll be a small surge in the next week from people who decide the Chess & Bridge offer makes it worth renewing now? I'm surprised the ECF hasn't highlighted this on their website; maybe they will in a day or two.

Simon Rogers
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:49 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:08 pm
Angus French wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 pm
According to the ECF lists available to organisers, as at yesterday there were 4016 members (including Junior Free Silver members) and 137 supporters. I don't have figures for the start of September 2019 to compare against but the 1/10/2019 counts were: 7524 members and 12 supporters.
I wonder if there'll be a small surge in the next week from people who decide the Chess & Bridge offer makes it worth renewing now? I'm surprised the ECF hasn't highlighted this on their website; maybe they will in a day or two.
Oh Poo. I thought I had renewed my membership. I forgotten all about it. I think it's because I've been posting too much on the forum and probably the posts have been too long.
What is the Chess & Bridge offer for Silver Members?

John Reyes
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by John Reyes » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:48 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:49 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:08 pm
Angus French wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 pm
According to the ECF lists available to organisers, as at yesterday there were 4016 members (including Junior Free Silver members) and 137 supporters. I don't have figures for the start of September 2019 to compare against but the 1/10/2019 counts were: 7524 members and 12 supporters.
I wonder if there'll be a small surge in the next week from people who decide the Chess & Bridge offer makes it worth renewing now? I'm surprised the ECF hasn't highlighted this on their website; maybe they will in a day or two.
Oh Poo. I thought I had renewed my membership. I forgotten all about it. I think it's because I've been posting too much on the forum and probably the posts have been too long.
What is the Chess & Bridge offer for Silver Members?

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-mem ... needs-you/

LIMITED TIME SPECIAL OFFER – ENDS 13TH SEPTEMBER 2020
To support the ECF in these extraordinary times, Chess and Bridge is offering a one-time discount equivalent to the subscription cost to any member who renews their subscription to the ECF. This will be redeemable on orders made via shop.chess.co.uk, by phone on 0207 486 7015 and in store. The offer will be valid to 13th September 2020.

Bronze members who renew can claim a discount of £18 on a purchase of over £40*

Silver members who renew can claim a discount of £27 on a purchase of over £60*

Gold members who renew can claim a discount of £39 on a purchase of over £80*

Platinum members who renew can claim a discount of £75 on a purchase of over £150*
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

User avatar
Joey Stewart
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: All Of Them
Contact:

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Quite generous discounts from chess and bridge, I wonder what is in it for them to be supporting the ECF this way?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Simon Rogers
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Article on the English Chess Federation website posted Friday 4th September reminding people that the Chess & Bridge offer ends Sunday 13th September.
I've just rung up and renewed my silver membership.
It took less than five minutes.
Excellent service.

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:32 am
Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:06 pm
Paul not sure that you are using Lancashire CA/star plus clubs. Why not ASK Bill? He is No 1 in Lancashire.
Looked at the clubs listed by Lancashire Chess Association + Lancashire & Lancashire*
...........Hopefully members will re-join after the recent BH weekend & the ECF have collected monies by members paying by Direct Debit.
Uptake of membership in the "Lancashire Area" still looks very low.
Paul Robert Jackson

Nick Grey
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:43 pm

10-20 percent? Unusual year for all.

Angus French
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Angus French » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:43 am

Angus French wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 pm
According to ECF lists available to organisers, as at yesterday there were 4016 members (including Junior Free Silver members) and 137 supporters. I don't have figures for the start of September 2019 to compare against but the 1/10/2019 counts were: 7524 members and 12 supporters. The final tally of members for 2019/20 was 12574 (22 August 2020 list). I don't have a final count of the number of supporters for 2019/20.
Now - a week on, with the 9 Sep lists - at 4621 members and 201 supporters.

Peter Harrington
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Peter Harrington » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:51 am

Perhaps those unsure about renewing could adopt a compromise position. For years I have been a silver member but when I renewed a couple of days ago I opted for bronze membership. That way I am supporting the ECF and I still have the option to upgrade to silver should congresses become more viable in the short to medium term. Yes, I took advantage of the chess and bridge offer even though I had bought some books earlier in the lockdown. But beware the postage & packing charges £9.95 are not covered by the offer and these eat in to your savings. Chess and bridge seem to charge twice as much as other vendors for postage and packing. Now I've just got to read the books!

Peter Harrington

Peter Harrington
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Peter Harrington » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:26 am

The idea of adopting a compromise position regarding renewing applies also to previous bronze members. They could become an ECF supporter for £10. When the situation re OTB league chess improves, then can upgrade to bronze by paying just the difference.

Peter Harrington
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Peter Harrington » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:30 am

Note also, that to play in any ECF online league, you need as a minimum to have at least ECF supporter status or be a member of the ECF.

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 pm

Angus French wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:43 am
Angus French wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 pm
According to ECF lists available to organisers, as at yesterday there were 4016 members (including Junior Free Silver members) and 137 supporters. I don't have figures for the start of September 2019 to compare against but the 1/10/2019 counts were: 7524 members and 12 supporters. The final tally of members for 2019/20 was 12574 (22 August 2020 list). I don't have a final count of the number of supporters for 2019/20.
Now - a week on, with the 9 Sep lists - at 4621 members and 201 supporters.
Number of renewals still kooks far too slow.
Peter Harrington wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:26 am
The idea of adopting a compromise position regarding renewing applies also to previous bronze members. They could become an ECF supporter for £10. When the situation re OTB league chess improves, then can upgrade to bronze by paying just the difference.
A sensible suggestion.
Paul Robert Jackson

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:02 pm

Anybody have any updates on the numbers who are renewing their memberships?
Paul Robert Jackson

User avatar
Joey Stewart
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: All Of Them
Contact:

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:17 pm

I cant imagine the uptake is going to be huge, outside of those that are feeling altruistic and want to help support the ECF it feels like a massive waste of money paying full price for a membership that is going to last half a season at the very best.

On the bright side, if the big national team tournaments like the Olympiad get cancelled that will be a lot of money saved by the ecf on expenses so swings and roundabouts...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Tim Spanton
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:17 pm
I cant imagine the uptake is going to be huge, outside of those that are feeling altruistic and want to help support the ECF it feels like a massive waste of money paying full price for a membership that is going to last half a season at the very best.

On the bright side, if the big national team tournaments like the Olympiad get cancelled that will be a lot of money saved by the ecf on expenses so swings and roundabouts...
I'm not so sure about that - I thought much of the Olympiad expense was paid by sponsors for that purpose entirely. If that is correct, the money will simply not come into chess: painful for the players concerned but not for the ECF.

Post Reply