Membership Renewal

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Post Reply
Ernie Lazenby
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:11 pm

I looked at the lengthy list of protocols for playing chess at the the Northumbria congress and decided its not for me. A joyless way of playing but I am sure others will be willing to give it a try. Credit to the organisers for giving it a go.

NickFaulks
Posts: 6136
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:11 pm
I looked at the lengthy list of protocols for playing chess at the the Northumbria congress and decided its not for me. A joyless way of playing but I am sure others will be willing to give it a try. Credit to the organisers for giving it a go.
My view precisely. If people are prepared to play in disgusting conditions then good luck to them, but not me. There are places overseas that are more civilised.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Simon Rogers
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 pm
Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:11 pm
I looked at the lengthy list of protocols for playing chess at the the Northumbria congress and decided its not for me. A joyless way of playing but I am sure others will be willing to give it a try. Credit to the organisers for giving it a go.
My view precisely. If people are prepared to play in disgusting conditions then good luck to them, but not me. There are places overseas that are more civilised.
Don't worry.
I've found an OTB tournament which I think there will be no hygiene protocols at the venue, taking place in October, that is in the British Isles.
I'll post it as soon as I can. The problem is my phone battery is getting very low and takes forever to recharge.
Bear with me.

NickFaulks
Posts: 6136
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:08 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm
I've found an OTB tournament which I think there will be no hygiene protocols at the venue, taking place in October, that is in the British Isles.
I'll post it as soon as I can. The problem is my phone battery is getting very low and takes forever to recharge.
Bear with me.
Could you not have managed one word, like in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

John Sellen
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by John Sellen » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:18 pm

Simon Rogers wrote: ↑Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm
I've found an OTB tournament which I think there will be no hygiene protocols at the venue, taking place in October, that is in the British Isles.
I'll post it as soon as I can. The problem is my phone battery is getting very low and takes forever to recharge.
Bear with me.

Surely nobody in their right mind is going play in an event with no hygiene protocols at the moment

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 1968
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Europe

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 pm
Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:11 pm
I looked at the lengthy list of protocols for playing chess at the the Northumbria congress and decided its not for me. A joyless way of playing but I am sure others will be willing to give it a try. Credit to the organisers for giving it a go.
My view precisely. If people are prepared to play in disgusting conditions then good luck to them, but not me. There are places overseas that are more civilised.
Don't worry.
I've found an OTB tournament which I think there will be no hygiene protocols at the venue, taking place in October, that is in the British Isles.
I'll post it as soon as I can. The problem is my phone battery is getting very low and takes forever to recharge.
Bear with me.
Sadly the proof is too long to fit into this margin... :-)

Gavin Hughes
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Gavin Hughes » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:50 pm

I have renewed and no doubt millions of others will because I have. Gold membership as well which was odd considering I didn't play one Fide rated event last year and it is tricky for me to find the time for congress events which I do enjoy (especially when I win money). I must have some perverted sense of loyalty or think it would be good to have an ECF when things go back to normal rather than construct a new one or have no governing body representing my country at International level in the future.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4153
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:17 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm
Don't worry.
I've found an OTB tournament which I think there will be no hygiene protocols at the venue, taking place in October, that is in the British Isles.
I'll post it as soon as I can. The problem is my phone battery is getting very low and takes forever to recharge.
Bear with me.
I have been invited to the event in question, but I shall allow Simon to post the information first.

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1831
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:40 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 pm
Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:11 pm
I looked at the lengthy list of protocols for playing chess at the the Northumbria congress and decided its not for me. A joyless way of playing but I am sure others will be willing to give it a try. Credit to the organisers for giving it a go.
My view precisely. If people are prepared to play in disgusting conditions then good luck to them, but not me. There are places overseas that are more civilised.
These `disgusting conditions` appear to be a considered attempt to get a chess congress going in very difficult circumstances. Nobody is being forced to play. The comment is not worthy of a chairman of an ECF standing committee. If organisers are looking to run events in line with ECF and government guidelines and devoting their own unpaid time towards doing so they deserve every (social distanced) pat on the back they can get.

That said organisers will be used to it. In happier times some chess players would whinge about prestige events where they might have to dress to some sort of standard and not be allowed to bring their own pack up.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19263
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:11 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:40 am
If organisers are looking to run events in line with ECF and government guidelines
That's arguably the point. Are the restrictions really necessary or just health and safety theatre for the sake of it?

Perhaps it's a two stage process. What's the risk of meeting someone infectious? If you do so, what minimises the risk of infection?

Paul Buswell
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Paul Buswell » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:14 am

John Sellen wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:18 pm
Simon Rogers wrote: ↑Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm
I've found an OTB tournament which I think there will be no hygiene protocols at the venue, taking place in October, that is in the British Isles.
I'll post it as soon as I can. The problem is my phone battery is getting very low and takes forever to recharge.
Bear with me.

Surely nobody in their right mind is going play in an event with no hygiene protocols at the moment
I'm in my right mind most of the time and perhaps I'd play, following my own risk assessment.

PB

Tim Spanton
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:58 am

John Sellen wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:18 pm
Simon Rogers wrote: ↑Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm
I've found an OTB tournament which I think there will be no hygiene protocols at the venue, taking place in October, that is in the British Isles.
I'll post it as soon as I can. The problem is my phone battery is getting very low and takes forever to recharge.
Bear with me.

Surely nobody in their right mind is going play in an event with no hygiene protocols at the moment
That's how Prague was run this month. Some (very few) players chose to wear masks, some declined to shake hands, and there was a sanitiser bottle (use optional) at the entrance, but otherwise it was chess as we knew it before Hysteria-19.

Wadih Khoury
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:33 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:58 am


That's how Prague was run this month. Some (very few) players chose to wear masks, some declined to shake hands, and there was a sanitiser bottle (use optional) at the entrance, but otherwise it was chess as we knew it before Hysteria-19.
Indeed, but comparing our experiences of Biel and Prague, would you agree that the risk of creating a cluster (with all the potential consequences) were significantly greater in Prague?

If you think about it, in Prague, in one of the games a spectator stayed for a couple of hours watching my son's game, well within a meter. In Biel, a pushy dad spent 5:15 hours standing and staring at my son's board. The difference? He was maybe 10 meters away.

Same thing with simple, non disruptive things like the one way system: In Biel, it was very rare to find myself within a meter of someone. In Prague, there was a bottleneck at the main door, with a constant flow of people in/out to the toilets, spectating, etc... Although they did have 2 doors and could have imposed a one way system.

Tim Spanton
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:54 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:33 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:58 am


That's how Prague was run this month. Some (very few) players chose to wear masks, some declined to shake hands, and there was a sanitiser bottle (use optional) at the entrance, but otherwise it was chess as we knew it before Hysteria-19.
Indeed, but comparing our experiences of Biel and Prague, would you agree that the risk of creating a cluster (with all the potential consequences) were significantly greater in Prague?

If you think about it, in Prague, in one of the games a spectator stayed for a couple of hours watching my son's game, well within a meter. In Biel, a pushy dad spent 5:15 hours standing and staring at my son's board. The difference? He was maybe 10 meters away.

Same thing with simple, non disruptive things like the one way system: In Biel, it was very rare to find myself within a meter of someone. In Prague, there was a bottleneck at the main door, with a constant flow of people in/out to the toilets, spectating, etc... Although they did have 2 doors and could have imposed a one way system.
I had no problem with Biel. I certainly have problems with Northumberland and Fareham. But each to his own.

Wadih Khoury
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:04 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:54 am

I had no problem with Biel. I certainly have problems with Northumberland and Fareham. But each to his own.
Agreed, some measures appear to have a disproportionate annoyance/benefit ratio.

Post Reply