Membership Renewal

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Simon Rogers

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:36 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:17 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm
Don't worry.
I've found an OTB tournament which I think there will be no hygiene protocols at the venue, taking place in October, that is in the British Isles.
I'll post it as soon as I can. The problem is my phone battery is getting very low and takes forever to recharge.
Bear with me.
I have been invited to the event in question, but I shall allow Simon to post the information first.
Thanks David. Hope this is the one you are talking about.
Apologies all, for keeping you in suspense.
Here it is:
Manx Championship 2020
Organised by the Isle of Man Chess Association
Venue: Claremont Hotel, Douglas, Isle of Man
Friday 9th October to Sunday 11th October
6 Rounds
No Entry Fees
£1500 in Prizes
Open Tournament split in 3 zones: Open, Candidates and Challengers.
Entries Open 2nd September, Close 2nd October.
I'll start a new Topic in Congress Diary for discussion.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:47 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:36 am
Thanks David. Hope this is the one you are talking about.
Yes it is.
Simon Rogers wrote:
I'll start a new Topic in Congress Diary for discussion.
I shall post there in due course

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:18 pm

Thanks David.
I was worried for a while that I had missed an OTB tournament to post.
I will be cheering you on in the Congress.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:26 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Manx Championship 2020
Organised by the Isle of Man Chess Association
Venue: Claremont Hotel, Douglas, Isle of Man
Friday 9th October to Sunday 11th October
It was my impression that the Isle of Man had more or less banned visitors not least by insisting on a lock away quarantine period for new arrivals.

https://covid19.gov.im/general-informat ... el-advice/
Non-IoM Residents

Access to the Isle of Man remains tightly restricted for non-residents.

There are a small number of categories that allow for entry to the island, but ONLY where an individual has been provided with an Exemption Certificate. This is a limited group of people who are necessary to the Island’s critical national infrastructure or for the preservation of human life.

As a non-resident, it is not possible to enter the island without an Exemption Certificate. This is a legal requirement, and failure to comply is a criminal offence.

It is also a legal requirement to undertake 14 days of mandatory self-isolation and you must not leave your accommodation during this period.
I suppose David as an arbiter might be let in under the "critical national infrastructure" clause.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:44 pm

I'm not sure. I'll leave that for other forum members to discuss in the Congress Diary Section.
Other forum members are a lot more informed than me on these matters.
All I know about the Coronavirus over there is that it has been mentioned on the BBC North West News the last couple of evenings that there has been no confirmed Coronavirus infections for over 100 days.
Social distancing has been relaxed as well as the wearing of masks.
There was even pictures of an orchestra playing at a indoor concert not socially distanced.
Things appear back to normal.
I'm sure the IOM government is under immense pressure to relax quarantine rules as they rely so heavily on tourism and imports.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:05 pm

Back to membership after AGMs.
Leagues and clubs are trying to offer online leagues. Also other online chess activities.
About fifty/100 OK but concerns on cheating and disconnects.
ON Bronze we ought not insist on membership before playing leagues online.
Helps with those NO Computer or new to chess.

Hope all are OK.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:11 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:40 am
If organisers are looking to run events in line with ECF and government guidelines
That's arguably the point. Are the restrictions really necessary or just health and safety theatre for the sake of it?

Perhaps it's a two stage process. What's the risk of meeting someone infectious? If you do so, what minimises the risk of infection?
Essentially if somebody sought to run a tournament with minimal restrictions they would likely be criticised for risking the health and safety of their players. If they impose restrictions to ensure maximum safety they are accused of being excessive.

The biggest question mark about the pandemic remains how many asymptomatic carriers there are. Otherwise minimising the risk of infection is common sense; don't play if you have symptoms, wear a face covering, avoid unnecessary contact etc.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:40 am

The most important thing is that at least these Congress organisers are willing to give it a try.
We have to start somewhere.
They have to be fully commended for their hard work and should deserve our full support.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:11 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:11 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:40 am
If organisers are looking to run events in line with ECF and government guidelines
That's arguably the point. Are the restrictions really necessary or just health and safety theatre for the sake of it?

Perhaps it's a two stage process. What's the risk of meeting someone infectious? If you do so, what minimises the risk of infection?
Essentially if somebody sought to run a tournament with minimal restrictions they would likely be criticised for risking the health and safety of their players. If they impose restrictions to ensure maximum safety they are accused of being excessive.

The biggest question mark about the pandemic remains how many asymptomatic carriers there are. Otherwise minimising the risk of infection is common sense; don't play if you have symptoms, wear a face covering, avoid unnecessary contact etc.
Let organisers run tournaments as they want to (within the law) and let players decide whether the number of guidelines being followed is sufficient for them

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:22 pm
Let organisers run tournaments as they want to (within the law)
With continual changes to regulations, it can be difficult to know what the law actually is. The organisers of the Northumberland Congress along with the venue owners must believe there are no absolute restrictions on the number of people who can gather indoors at one place. Or does it depend on the space available?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:34 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:29 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
With continual changes to regulations, it can be difficult to know what the law actually is. The organisers of the Northumberland Congress along with the venue owners must believe there are no absolute restrictions on the number of people who can gather indoors at one place. Or does it depend on the space available?
I am sure it is not simple, but it does not help when people quote guidelines as if they are the law

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:13 pm

Fines up from 1000 to 10000. LOOKS similar to pubs, restaurants, hotels. Keep an eye on daily numbers.

But keep out of membership renewal.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:29 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:29 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
If you bothered to read the congress info you would see that there is a strict cap on the number of entries.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:19 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:29 pm
If you bothered to read the congress info you would see that there is a strict cap on the number of entries.
I was aware there is a cap on entries. But is it for legal reasons or because the venue management says so?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:25 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:19 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:29 pm
I was aware there is a cap on entries. But is it for legal reasons or because the venue management says so?
My guess is likely as good as yours but I would guess a bit of both. In any case I don't really think it makes much difference. If the venue management are only allowing a certain number of entries the organisers can't quibble that by strict application of the law they are allowed a few more.

And, as ever, it's no concern of those who choose not to enter.