Direct Members’ Representatives election

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
NickFaulks

Re: Direct Members’ Representatives election

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Angus French wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:20 pm
I think that's the wrong decision. How can you have an election and not publish the vote counts?
Agreed, utterly indefensible.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:01 pm

I think the number of votes for each candidate should be published, too. It is quite extraordinary not to do so - let's have some transparency!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:01 pm
I think the number of votes for each candidate should be published, too. It is quite extraordinary not to do so - let's have some transparency!
My recollection is that the voting figures have been published on previous occasions when there have been contested elections for Direct Members' Representatives.

Voting totals are not published in Conservative Party selection meetings nor in contested elections for constituency office. It would be interesting to know whether the "we" in the email, whoever they may be, took that as their precedent.

Several of those who have condemned the decision in earlier posts here are members of Council. It's not too late for them to get together and table a motion for the ECF Council Meeting on October 17th instructing the powers that be to publish the figures. If the motion were carried, publication would be a couple of months late, but better late than never.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:50 pm

If you don't publish numbers of votes cast, you leave yourself open to accusations that you have just appointed the people you want.

In Gold election, I know Danny O'Byrne as he's a "War and Piece" team mate. I think he is standing as an individual, not a team and he would do what he thought was right. And I believe he is efficient at block-copying.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:50 pm
In Gold election, I know Danny O'Byrne as he's a "War and Piece" team mate. I think he is standing as an individual, not a team and he would do what he thought was right.

As a Platinum ECF member, I don't have a vote in any of the contested elections, so I have been hesitant about commenting.

However, I too know Danny O'Byrne from my time as the arbiter of the UK Armed Forces Chess Association Championship and I endorse what Kevin Thurlow has said. He is very much his own man and he would not bow to pressure except from those whom he had been elected to represent.

RobWillmoth

Post by RobWillmoth » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks for the be negative feedback Angus. Totally not the full story. However I won’t waste my time on this forum to explain why. Perhaps instead of being negative about everything ECF you should perhaps try putting forwards some sensible suggestions as bronze rep as I have done as gold, Which are moving forward.

No point replying as I rarely look at the forum due to it having descended generally to great negativity

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Rob

Will you answer the question regarding attendance in private communication? Given that representing others is a big part of the post's requirements, it is slightly worrying to read of alleged shortcomings. As this is now public, some of those entitled to vote in the election probably deserve an explanation.

[ Note having re-read the post from Angus, the criticisms relating to attending meetings are directed at Lorin not Rob. I apologise to Rob for any confusion in that regard].
Last edited by J T Melsom on Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:54 pm

RobWillmoth wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:48 pm
However I won’t waste my time on this forum to explain why.
In my experience that generally means that no explanation exists.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm

" I rarely look at the forum due to it having descended generally to great negativity"

I'm not sure it's "descended" - I thought it was always like that?

I wouldn't say that if I were seeking election of course.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:03 pm

I think we are worse now. Be positive for all the volunteers. Rob deserves better so gets one of my votes.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:06 pm

You HAVE to publish the polling figures for this or any election. I want to know that my vote has been counted!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm
I wouldn't say that if I were seeking election of course.
Probably works best in an uncontested election.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:03 pm
Rob deserves better so gets one of my votes.
How so? He's not been treated badly has he? I do think he ought to be able to respond to questions about what he's done as a Gold members' rep. From what I've seen, his focus seems to have been more on his junior chess interests... (He's also challenged my record as a Bronze members' rep. I'm not standing for election but if he wants to read about what I did as a rep he can look here.)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:26 pm

RobWillmoth wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:48 pm
Thanks for the be negative feedback Angus. Totally not the full story. However I won’t waste my time on this forum to explain why.
Strewth.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:09 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:34 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:50 pm
In Gold election, I know Danny O'Byrne as he's a "War and Piece" team mate. I think he is standing as an individual, not a team and he would do what he thought was right.

As a Platinum ECF member, I don't have a vote in any of the contested elections, so I have been hesitant about commenting.

However, I too know Danny O'Byrne from my time as the arbiter of the UK Armed Forces Chess Association Championship and I endorse what Kevin Thurlow has said. He is very much his own man and he would not bow to pressure except from those whom he had been elected to represent.
That's sort of helpful; of the 3 challengers to the existing reps, I was least convinced by his election address

Does anyone know Abu Hasan or David Lewis?
Any postings on here represent my personal views