AGM Minutes

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

AGM Minutes

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:41 pm

A lot of documents have now been uploaded to here:-

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... ut=default

A lot to discuss, even the CFS project has a lot more details
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Re: AGM Minutes

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Why do they all have to be downloaded? What's wrong with viewing these documents as an online PDF? :?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Does anybody believe this report on Chess for Schools?
I notice the following comment

"Holloid Plastics has bought 100,000 boards and has them in stock"

Can this really be true?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:54 pm

This is the CFS update for those people without Word, let me know what others you need
C1173.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:05 pm

Some of the documents are hard work without the right software so please feel free to ask me to post as needed
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Some of the documents are hard work without the right software so please feel free to ask me to post as needed
OpenOffice downloads them all perfectly. :)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:21 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Some of the documents are hard work without the right software so please feel free to ask me to post as needed
OpenOffice downloads them all perfectly. :)
Yes but standard Word is not that nice when attempting to download some of the open formats from the web site in question

It only affects a couple of documents but I am a little short of time this evening to point them out!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:23 pm

from the non-execs report at

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/images/stories/ECF Council Docs 2009/C11.7.6.6 Non-Exec_Report.doc
It is becoming increasingly difficult to find volunteers for the ECF positions and we would ask you to consider whether you can help in any way.

I think there are 4 contested elections for director or equivalent posts. In at least two of these, it seems to the outside observer that volunteers new to ECF posts have come forward, only to be opposed by an insider.

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:30 pm

I can't see an election address by Nigel Short. Hope there is one ahead of the vote.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:58 pm

Laurie Roberts wrote
I can't see an election address by Nigel Short. Hope there is one ahead of the vote.
I advised Nigel of the provisions of the Procedural Bye Laws relating to election addresses, but one was not received from him by the ECF Office prior to the despatch of the Council mailing. There is likely to be a second mailing with financial papers in which any documents received late can be included. The advantage of the inclusion of the Council papers on the website (and I suppose that I was naive to expect an unqualified welcome from the Forum for that development rather than criticism of the format) is that additional documents received can be added there immediately.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:05 pm

John Philpott wrote:I suppose that I was naive to expect an unqualified welcome from the Forum for that development rather than criticism of the format
Sorry, it's obviously good that they're there. They've made for some interesting reading. It's just a bit of a pain to read some of them if you don't have the right software.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:39 am

John Philpott wrote:Laurie Roberts wrote
I advised Nigel of the provisions of the Procedural Bye Laws relating to election addresses, but one was not received from him by the ECF Office prior to the despatch of the Council mailing. There is likely to be a second mailing with financial papers in which any documents received late can be included. The advantage of the inclusion of the Council papers on the website (and I suppose that I was naive to expect an unqualified welcome from the Forum for that development rather than criticism of the format) is that additional documents received can be added there immediately.
Out of interest John, can an election address really be added late? If so, it seems unfair to me that a candidate could read his opponents address and only then submit his own.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:45 am

Sean,
Nigel cannot be bothered to send an election address, or play for England at the European Championships, but he'd like us to vote for him so that he can get a load of freebies instead of Gerry.
Nice to see that the ECF are attracting good people for a change.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:49 am

The director of marketing one raised a laugh (he reads this forum...) and the chess for schools was at least an update otherwise nothing that dynamic that I could see

I would like to know exactly what this document contains however:

There is a signed Memorandum of Understanding between the ECF and Holloid Plastics covering the manufacture and distribution of the sets.

It's still a concern when £20K has already been chucked at it

The comments on the web site and lack of communication from Stuart (and John) were good to see

Clearly the state of the finances and lack of interest in some jobs is more than a worry

Anyone else spot anything?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:51 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Sean,
Nigel cannot be bothered to send an election address, or play for England at the European Championships, but he'd like us to vote for him so that he can get a load of freebies instead of Gerry.
Nice to see that the ECF are attracting good people for a change.
Struth a strong comment again Matthew, it is however very poor that Nigel has not included an address - he also has been on here but chose not to comment which isn't a good start is it?

I believe the play "issue" to be one due to a lack of finance?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard