Reports from Direct Members' representatives
Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 am
Dear all,
I thought I would start a new thread on reports from Direct Members' representatives, so that people can find their DM reps' reports and compare them (both with each other, and over time, from year to year). This hopefully will inform debate and help to bring down the artificial barriers between different categories of membership (after all, we are just being classified by how much money we pay. We are actually all part of the same chess community, and have everything in common with each other).
So, here goes, my report in advance of the April 2021 Finance Council. Buckle up, folks, because this is a fairly blunt one and you may want to be sitting down when you read it.
Report to Silver ECF Members: April 2021 Finance Council meeting
Tim Wall, Silver Members rep
April 20, 2021
The headline news (and perhaps the only useful thing that will come out of the April 24 Finance Council meeting for ordinary ECF members) is that membership fees will stay the same for 2021-22.
Many Silver members may well want to stop reading here, because most of the other items on the Agenda (https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... Agenda.pdf) are about as much use to you and your local chess club as an old-style analog chess clock.
In fact, judging by the resolutions at Saturday’s meeting, the ECF Council (or at least the people putting those resolutions forward) currently seem to have all the wrong priorities.
Rather than working out an action plan to get over-the-board chess going again, to help local clubs and congresses survive and to rebuild the ECF membership (based on the surge in public interest in chess during the lockdown), we are instead discussing the equivalent of ‘How many angels can dance on the point of a pin?’
It may be important to a handful of ECF officials to propose ways to extend their terms in office, and it may be interesting for a few event organisers for them to get more votes at Council meetings, but I think these issues and preoccupations leave the vast majority of ordinary ECF members stone cold.
For the record, I intend to vote the only way my conscience will let me: in favour of regular renewal of officials, and in favour of members’ rights. Therefore, on the Directors’ Terms in Office resolution, I will support option A - that directors be eligible to serve for a maximum of 2 consecutive terms in one post (i.e. more than one 3-year term). Not the 3 or 4 terms, or no term limits being proposed by some people – which seem to me something more akin to Vladimir Putin’s Russia.
This is because I strongly believe there should be regular renewal of the ECF Board, and that 4-6 years is plenty of time for one person to hold the same post before allowing someone else to have their turn.
On allocating votes to the organisers of online events, I am against this – as it gives more votes to people who are not accountable to members. At least with county associations, ordinary members can have their say and influence their local delegate.
A couple of months ago, I put forward a proposal that would have given Direct Members (i.e. you) a total of one-third of the votes in any ECF Board election, but the Governance Committee refused to consider it, saying that working out term limits and Council votes for online event organisers was more important.
Finally, there is one reasonable resolution, to make it easier to organise county matches by reducing the number of rating bands. I am in favour of this.
As a Silver Members rep, I welcome your feedback and constructive suggestions. If you would like to express your view through me at Saturday’s Council meeting, please write to me at: [email protected]
I thought I would start a new thread on reports from Direct Members' representatives, so that people can find their DM reps' reports and compare them (both with each other, and over time, from year to year). This hopefully will inform debate and help to bring down the artificial barriers between different categories of membership (after all, we are just being classified by how much money we pay. We are actually all part of the same chess community, and have everything in common with each other).
So, here goes, my report in advance of the April 2021 Finance Council. Buckle up, folks, because this is a fairly blunt one and you may want to be sitting down when you read it.
Report to Silver ECF Members: April 2021 Finance Council meeting
Tim Wall, Silver Members rep
April 20, 2021
The headline news (and perhaps the only useful thing that will come out of the April 24 Finance Council meeting for ordinary ECF members) is that membership fees will stay the same for 2021-22.
Many Silver members may well want to stop reading here, because most of the other items on the Agenda (https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... Agenda.pdf) are about as much use to you and your local chess club as an old-style analog chess clock.
In fact, judging by the resolutions at Saturday’s meeting, the ECF Council (or at least the people putting those resolutions forward) currently seem to have all the wrong priorities.
Rather than working out an action plan to get over-the-board chess going again, to help local clubs and congresses survive and to rebuild the ECF membership (based on the surge in public interest in chess during the lockdown), we are instead discussing the equivalent of ‘How many angels can dance on the point of a pin?’
It may be important to a handful of ECF officials to propose ways to extend their terms in office, and it may be interesting for a few event organisers for them to get more votes at Council meetings, but I think these issues and preoccupations leave the vast majority of ordinary ECF members stone cold.
For the record, I intend to vote the only way my conscience will let me: in favour of regular renewal of officials, and in favour of members’ rights. Therefore, on the Directors’ Terms in Office resolution, I will support option A - that directors be eligible to serve for a maximum of 2 consecutive terms in one post (i.e. more than one 3-year term). Not the 3 or 4 terms, or no term limits being proposed by some people – which seem to me something more akin to Vladimir Putin’s Russia.
This is because I strongly believe there should be regular renewal of the ECF Board, and that 4-6 years is plenty of time for one person to hold the same post before allowing someone else to have their turn.
On allocating votes to the organisers of online events, I am against this – as it gives more votes to people who are not accountable to members. At least with county associations, ordinary members can have their say and influence their local delegate.
A couple of months ago, I put forward a proposal that would have given Direct Members (i.e. you) a total of one-third of the votes in any ECF Board election, but the Governance Committee refused to consider it, saying that working out term limits and Council votes for online event organisers was more important.
Finally, there is one reasonable resolution, to make it easier to organise county matches by reducing the number of rating bands. I am in favour of this.
As a Silver Members rep, I welcome your feedback and constructive suggestions. If you would like to express your view through me at Saturday’s Council meeting, please write to me at: [email protected]