What am I doing?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm setting up this thread to let people know what I'm doing and to welcome comments, criticisms or suggestions.

andrew martin

Re: What am I doing?

Post by andrew martin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:44 pm

Great first post, not a spelling mistake in sight.

Andrew

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:48 pm

I've put forward a suggestion to the Board for someone I think would be ideal to fill the vacant (and essential) position of Finance Director as we're hoping an appointment will be made on 31st October.

PS. Thanks Andrew but that puts pressure on me to ensure all my other posts are error free too!

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Below is a copy of the letter I submitted this afternoon for publication in The Times.

Dear Sir,

I was recently elected as President of the English Chess Federation. Although I have a public profile and have been an avid player in the past, this was an especially bold move in light of the current difficulties faced by the ECF and my lack of administrative experience. Other elections, such as that of Grandmaster Nigel Short as FIDE Delegate, hopefully point the way to a more inclusive and successful organisation.

Within the last quarter century, England has consistently been one of the most powerful chess nations in the world, securing silver medals in three consecutive Olympiads. However, due to the break up of the Soviet Union and the financial restraints that preclude all but an elite few from becoming full time professional players, those days seem unlikely to be repeated.

The ECF has many problems but it remains a robust and optimistic body. We are implementing many schemes aimed at promoting chess, particularly in schools, in an attempt to bring more people into the game and develop a sound basis for the next generation of titled players, as well as catering for those already representing us in the upper echelons of the game.

December sees an extremely strong international tournament taking place in London and we are hopeful that the Chess Olympiad and World Championships can be brought to the capital in 2012 to take place alongside the Summer Olympics.

If any sporting organisation is to be judged on its ambitions and preparedness to take risks in order to secure the future for itself and the activity it supports, the English Chess Federation must surely be deserving of praise. The recent elections and strategic plans put forward suggest considerable strength and continued growth in the coming years.

However, the support of players of all ages and all abilities is needed in order to achieve these hopes and to re-establish England as a respected and admired force on the world chess stage.

Yours sincerely,

CJ de Mooi

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:56 pm

Well, I am very positive about your appointment and about the future. There is very little point in looking back; we must deal with the current problems quickly and efficiently and then move forward at pace. I am sure this will be done. I applaud your immediate action on the matter of the Director of Finance.

The ECF has a wealth of expertise at its disposal all over the country that the right people or persons can mobilize.

CJ, can I suggest as a priority that we establish immediate good, open relations with the 4NCL and the UK Chess Challenge and throw our full weight of support behind both. Instead of constant withering criticism I want to see some positive feedback about what the ECF does. We need as many friends on board as possible.

Andrew

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:31 pm

I've already been in contact with Peter Sowray and am attending the opening 4ncl weekend later this month. I also went to Warwick a couple of months ago and spoke to Mike Basman.

I agree with Andrew that the ECF needs to be inclusive and both the 4ncl and UK Chess Challenge represent huge success stories and this course of action surely offers considerable mutual benefit.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:58 pm

CJ - looks like you've made a great start. Just to nitpick - wouldn't the heading of the thread be better as "What I am doing" rather than as present where if you read it with the emphasis on the second word and with the question mark :lol:

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:22 pm

John Moore wrote:looks like you've made a great start. Just to nitpick -...
John you may need to update yourself; Twitterese makes the title as given more appropriate. 10 years ago you would have been correct !

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm

I've just sent emails to Charles Clarke MP and Dr Evan Harris MP introducing myself and asking if their support would be possible in the future.

I've written to the British Chess Magazine with a copy of the above letter.

I've also asked whether there is a link to this forum on the ECF website as I wasn't able to find one.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:04 pm

cjdemooi wrote:I've also asked whether there is a link to this forum on the ECF website as I wasn't able to find one.
There is one hidden on the grading database somewhere, but apparently, they were hesitant to put a link to this on the main page.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:11 pm

cjdemooi wrote:I've also asked whether there is a link to this forum on the ECF website as I wasn't able to find one.
The link was cut at last years AGM at the request of GW and DA (it came under the Presidents report...) and was not announced before hand to those present :!:

Holloid were not amused by some of the criticism they received on this forum

The forum was directly blamed for a "loss of sponsors" although this has never been clarified despite me asking those concerned - in fact even the CEO refused to answer a direct question on the matter...

It was also said that defamation could be an issue

So the forum lost it's official status, I switched to an alternate domain (from bcfservices...) and all links where removed
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
There is one hidden on the grading database somewhere, but apparently, they were hesitant to put a link to this on the main page.
That link should also not be there (it's been missed...) by the ECF but it still works of course:

http://forum.bcfservices.org.uk/
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Although not related to the ECF but 2 things I am doing...

1) Appearing in pantomime this Xmas in Welwyn Garden City - www.welhat.gov.uk/campuswest

2) Running the 2010 London Marathon - www.justgiving.com/CJ-de-Mooi

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:57 pm

I did see you on eggheads today as the only egghead to be knocked out. It must be difficult when the presenter gives a question to the competitors and you are on the big screen trying not to say the answer.

(I'm the ECF President, oh no he isn't, oh yes I am)

cjdemooi

What am I doing?

Post by cjdemooi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:29 am

I'm currently a Patron of the Welsh Chess Union, I'm in contact with Andy Howie, the Executive Director of Chess Scotland and I've written to Eamon Keogh, the Chairperson of the Irish Chess Union. I hope no-one finds this inappropriate but I've always said, both privately and in my ECF address, that openess and communication must be fostered between everyone involved with chess. Suspicion, distrust and secrecy cannot be allowed to fester if we want chess to survive, let alone advance and prosper in the 21st century.

I've also had a reply from Dr Evan Harris MP and will meet him at Westminster in the next few weeks.