Direct Members’ Representatives – elections

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Stephen Westmoreland

Re: Direct Members’ Representatives – elections

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:52 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:03 pm
I don't have a vote, but it would be a sad day if the electoral machinations resulted in John Reyes failing to be elected. There is still time for Steve Westmoreland to distance himself from Tim Wall, just as there is time for Tim Wall to withdraw from the election. I know nothing of the other candidate Jonathan Millar but clearly he has a manifesto and warrants consideration.
Hello. I have not commented on Tim or the other candidates, except to thank them and wish them the best. I am watching events with a growing sense of alarm.
HDCA President

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:19 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:03 pm
I don't have a vote, but it would be a sad day if the electoral machinations resulted in John Reyes failing to be elected. There is still time for Steve Westmoreland to distance himself from Tim Wall, just as there is time for Tim Wall to withdraw from the election. I know nothing of the other candidate Jonathan Millar but clearly he has a manifesto and warrants consideration.
I agree with Jonathan Melsom. I think ECF Council would benefit from having more people who are clearly unaligned (except to those they [edit] are appointed to [/edit] represent).
Last edited by Angus French on Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:22 am

Stephen comes across as very sensible, but I am not voting for him. He is a member of the EJCOA Board, which has already gained control of two thirds of the Member Rep votes, and I regard that as more than enough.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:56 am

Thanks Nick. I think it best that I should be clearer about the EJCOA.

I was invited to join some months back. The focus of the group is to improve the level of coaching and I was able to attend the ECU101 course as a part of this. I do have a direct interest in adult coaching, as I am trying to bring in my players at my local club and am actively coaching new adults and teenagers. Consequently I went on the Adult Chess Committee.

I responded to Michael's email about stepping forwards as Silver Rep on the 2nd June. The next EJOCA meeting was on the 6th, where people were asked if they applied and I said yes. I had stuck my hand up off my own bat, without any encouragement from EJOCA, and from a desire to do a bit extra.

In terms of the politics side, I was completely unaware and have since had a crash course. I must say that the EJOCA has only met twice and the focus is on coaching and improvement.

Should I actually get in as Silver Rep, I will have chat with Rob about continued membership. Especially if Silver Members see a conflict of interest - that would not be appropriate.
HDCA President

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:01 am

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:56 am
Should I actually get in as Silver Rep, I will have chat with Rob about continued membership. Especially if Silver Members see a conflict of interest - that would not be appropriate.
I liked Simon Brown's aphorism that in the ECF conflicts of interest have to be managed not avoided. English chess is a relatively small community, and most people come to the ECF through another organisation that they want to succeed. But I think it does put a greater onus on you to find out what the people you are representing want, which will doubtless be a different point of view that the EJCOA.

Notable that John Reyes who consults assiduously faces challenges every year. Usually from those who might want the votes more than they want to represent the silver members themselves. So if you are feeling some hostility from this forum to your candidature, it might be because those of us who don't know you saw you in that context.

My perception is that the people interested in ECF politics in the EJCOA are part of the most politically active nexus in recent years, if I include CSC. I don't think there is anything wrong with that in itself. But the extent to which they hold positions at the ECF is notable. We aren't talk about a group that is underrepresented and wants a say, but rather the largest group campaigning for control.

There is a bit of an irony in me telling you not to worry about a conflict from being part of the EJCOA and the silver members rep in itself. Almost everything the EJCOA campaign for Junior Director says is generally agreed, except their position that the incumbent is not correctly managing his conflicts of interest. My knee jerk reaction is to view this as a low blow, since everyone has conflicts of interest. But there might be more to it that I need to understand.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:32 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:01 am
Almost everything the EJCOA campaign for Junior Director says is generally agreed, except their position that the incumbent is not correctly managing his conflicts of interest.
Whilst their proposal for a Junior Oversight Committee is parallel in some respect to the Finance and Governance Committees, there is the difference that they were proposing that it be elected not by Council but by individual members. In the unlikely event that the Council voters would be in favour of a dilution of their powers, it would set a precedent for the plausibility or otherwise of direct elections for some or all of the ECF directors.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:50 am

Angus French wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:19 am
I agree with Jonathan Melsom. I think ECF Council would benefit from having more people who are clearly unaligned (except to those they [edit] are appointed to [/edit] represent).
Angus,

I'm curious,

In the unlikely event I would put myself up for election for an ECF post would I be labelled as unaligned?

There must be few persons who are active in the chess world who could be labelled as such.

Presumably someone with no allegiances might be characterised as having a lack of experience?

Could you clarify my muddled thinking please?
Last edited by John Upham on Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:52 am

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:56 am
Should I actually get in as Silver Rep, I will have chat with Rob about continued membership.
But membership of what? The EJCOA, which need not be a problem, or the EJCOA Board, which is certainly a problem. You are an ECF member, that's fine of course, but you are not on the ECF Board, which would obviously make you quite unsuitable as a Member Rep.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:19 am

I don't have a vote, but I hope that those who do will take the opportunity to find out what the different candidates have to offer. All the candidates have strengths and weaknesses and I would not discourage anybody from voting for any of them.

I am sad to see Tim Wall leave this forum and I welcome Stephen Westmoreland here. It has certainly been a baptism of fire for Stephen as a welcome to ECF politics and I think some of the questioning has been unduly harsh.

Whilst not endorsing any candidates I would make the following observations about Stephen

1. He is active is developing and supporting chess in Yorkshire - great to see him taking a team of novice players to the new Chess Centre in Ilkley for example.

2. He is active in coaching and looking to encourage and develop best practice from more established chess coaches and from other sports. It is both natural and positive then that he would wish to be involved with the EJCOA.

3. There is nothing that I can observe that would suggest that Stephen would not perform any role diligently and to the best of his ability.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:45 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:19 am
3. There is nothing that I can observe that would suggest that Stephen would not perform any role diligently and to the best of his ability.
Then why is Tim Wall pushing Stephen's candidacy so hard? Not so that he can represent Silver members diligently, that's for sure.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:15 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:19 am
I don't have a vote
Is this because ECF Supporters do not have a representative?

Don't forget that the English events that you take part in carry votes to ECF Council.

Obviously the persons that hold these many and varied votes will be keen to hear from you and how you would like to see their / your votes cast.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:01 am

I don't have a vote either, as I'm not a silver member, and there's no contested election for gold members

Are Direct Members' reps subject to ECF codes of conduct?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:01 am
I don't have a vote either, as I'm not a silver member, and there's no contested election for gold members

I believe it applies to all officials and representatives.
HDCA President

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:25 pm

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:12 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:01 am

I believe it applies to all officials and representatives.

Presumably the gagging order does not apply equally to all officials and representatives?

It might be worth obtaining a clear statement from those on high on its remit.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:27 pm

Apologies. I am wrong. It applies to Directors and those reporting into Directors.
HDCA President