New Arbiters

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

New Arbiters

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:04 am

ECF

New arbiters include some Forum members; congratulations to all
Rob Hammond, Richard Atkinson, Stephen Greep, Joseph Conlon, Andrey Masterskikh, Satish Gaekwad, David Wilkinson, David Lewis, David Revitt, Wadih Khoury, Raymond Sayers, Lucy Broomfield, Richard Buxton, Gavin Johnstone, Hambel Willow, Jorel Ali, Paul McKeown, Matthew Turner, Yaoyao Zhu, Savin Dias, John Stubbs, Sathya Vaidyanathan, Oliver Stubbs, Johan Rydahl, Ritika Maladkar, Daniel Lee, Ruwan Dias, Ryan Duff and Jonathan Arnott
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Re: New Arbiters

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:22 pm

Includes a few regulars on here.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:04 am
ECF

New arbiters include some Forum members; congratulations to all
Paul McKeown,
Although, strictly speaking I was already on the ECF list of arbiters, as a result of passing the ECF Arbiter Exam a decade ago or so up in Leyland, and qualifying as a Level 1. What changed was I took the FIDE Exam, recently, and passed it. Actively norm hunting; I might as well get the FA Title, if I can.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:26 pm

I commented as follows on Twitter:

"Congratulations to all the new ECF Level 1 arbiters. All the ECF need to do now is to provide them all with the opportunity to progress to Level 2 and to FIDE Arbiter. Here's hoping we can hold lots of OTB events again soon."

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks, David. In some ways, I think it might be easier to get the FIDE Arbiter title, than progress to the ECF Level 2. One can seek tournaments for the FIDE arbiter norms anywhere in the world, many in holiday season. The number of opportunities to arbit tournaments for inclusion in an ECF arbiter portfolio seems quite limited.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:08 pm

Can I draw attention to the following

https://www.4ncl.co.uk/fide/4ncl_arbiters_21-22.htm

It will provide arbiter norm opportunities.

Edited to correct cat inserted extra character. Lara now insists that I remove my shoe from the cats rear end!!
Last edited by Alex McFarlane on Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:10 pm

link

I couldn't get Alex's link to work
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:03 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:20 pm
Thanks, David. In some ways, I think it might be easier to get the FIDE Arbiter title, than progress to the ECF Level 2. One can seek tournaments for the FIDE arbiter norms anywhere in the world, many in holiday season. The number of opportunities to arbit tournaments for inclusion in an ECF arbiter portfolio seems quite limited.
For you, yes. For those affiliated to England, the ECF doesn't permit this.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 pm

Sorry, David, I don't understand. Can you explain your last post, please?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 pm
Sorry, David, I don't understand. Can you explain your last post, please?
From the ECF Arbiter Regulations:

"Level 3) The FIDE Arbiter title will be awarded by FIDE under the regulations in force at the time. The ECF will organise a minimum of one FIDE Arbiters seminar per year, and advertise it on the ECF website. This FIDE Arbiters seminar can be attended, and the test taken, before Level 2 has been reached, but must be done after Level 1 has been achieved. No application for this level will be made for a candidate who is not already a Level 2 Arbiter. ... The ECF will not use norms that form part of a Level 2 application for Levels 3 or 4."

Obviously the ECF cannot impose these restrictions on arbiters, such as you, who are affiliated to other Federations.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:42 pm

Thanks, David.

So, for an arbiter with a FIDE nationality of ENG, they must progress as follows:
  • Pass the ECF Arbiters Exam, becoming an ECF Level 1 Arbiter
  • Pass the FIDE Arbiters Exam
  • Get the norms for an ECF Level 2 Arbiter, becoming a Level 2 Arbiter
  • Get the norms for a FIDE Arbiter, becoming a FIDE Arbiter
Is that right?

With presumably further complications on the route to becoming an IA?

Whereas, myself, having a FIDE nationality of IRL, I could omit the requirement of becoming an ECF Level 2 Arbiter?

Can you tell me, what does becoming a Level 2 Arbiter qualify one to do that becoming a Level 1 Arbiter doesn't?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:44 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:42 pm
Thanks, David.

So, for an arbiter with a FIDE nationality of ENG, they must progress as follows:
  • Pass the ECF Arbiters Exam, becoming an ECF Level 1 Arbiter
  • Pass the FIDE Arbiters Exam
  • Get the norms for an ECF Level 2 Arbiter, becoming a Level 2 Arbiter
  • Get the norms for a FIDE Arbiter, becoming a FIDE Arbiter
Is that right?

With presumably further complications on the route to becoming an IA?

Whereas, myself, having a FIDE nationality of IRL, I could omit the requirement of becoming an ECF Level 2 Arbiter?

Can you tell me, what does becoming a Level 2 Arbiter qualify one to do that becoming a Level 1 Arbiter doesn't?
Paul, I am sorry that I neglected to reply to this.

I think that what you say is essentially correct, but that your second and third bullet points can be achieved in either order.

However, I am not the ECF officer responsible, nor indeed an ECF Officer at all. The person who is responsible is Alan Atkinson, the ECF Manager of Arbiters, so I suggest that you discuss your points with him, in particular your final question.

I understand that you will have the opportunity to do that in the very near future. Somewhat off topic, but I'd like to wish everyone involved with the Northumbria Masters a successful few days, whatever their role. It looks as though it will be a tremendous event.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:47 am

I was thinking about this and if made me wonder why we have such an official "career" pathway for arbiters when anyone with a whiteboard and a working knowledge of the rules and Swiss pairings can organise and officiate a chess tournament?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:21 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:47 am
I was thinking about this and if made me wonder why we have such an official "career" pathway for arbiters when anyone with a whiteboard and a working knowledge of the rules and Swiss pairings can organise and officiate a chess tournament?
Anyone can officiate badly, and then being anyone they can do it again.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:06 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:47 am
I think the majority of us could make a reasonable stab at running a small informal rapidplay tournament. To be an arbiter at a congress and having to intervene in situation where (for example) a player fails to complete a move during a time scramble or where the position prior to an illegal move has to be reconstructed - possibly with money resting on it and the risk of ill feeling if the wrong decision is made. And having to watch several such situations at the same time. While having to deal with enquries from players who might want to report (again for example) a blocked toilet or having to manage members of the public who have stuck their heads in for a look.

I consider myself to have a reasonable knowledge of the laws of chess but I wouldn't dream of putting myself in the situation above.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own