Nominations 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Chris Goodall

Re: Nominations 2021

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:37 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:56 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:48 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:40 pm

Well, if they publish them tomorrow, that's technically true :lol:
Did you not get a invite to the meeting?
Possibly as he is not actually on the committee?

Nor even a member of an affiliated club?
https://twitter.com/ecfchess?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw wrote:To clarify: Chris Goodall, the current top poster on the English Chess Forum, styles himself there as "Grader for Durham and the NCCU". In fact, Chris resigned his posts last year and is not currently an @ecfchess member or of any chess club.
To clarify more, that is not true, unless Tim has resorted to resigning me from posts. https://dcca.org.uk/officials/
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:02 pm

This might be a better link
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:34 pm

Thanks Justin. I'm relieved to see that that attempted discrediting came from Tim personally and not from @ecfchess. I shall add it to the list.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:30 pm

"Thanks Justin. I'm relieved to see that that attempted discrediting came from Tim personally and not from @ecfchess. I shall add it to the list."

If you have £50 spare you can complain to ECF ...

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Although Northumberland says: "Andy Trevelyan has replaced Chris Goodall as League Conductor."
https://northumberlandchess.com/
Not that it is of interest to the ECF nominations.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:58 pm
Although Northumberland says: "Andy Trevelyan has replaced Chris Goodall as League Conductor.
Hi Paul. Can you explain the meaning of that post?
Northumberland and Durham are two different places!!
I have no idea if Chris has a position in Durham but the fact that he has been replaced in Northumberland seems to me to have little significance to the thread.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:20 pm

The meaning is the literal meaning. Perhaps you seek a reason? That would be an attempt to bridge the gap between the statements of one individual and another, without resorting to Mike Truran's untenable choice of vocabulary.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:05 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:20 pm
The meaning is the literal meaning. Perhaps you seek a reason? That would be an attempt to bridge the gap between the statements of one individual and another, without resorting to Mike Truran's untenable choice of vocabulary.
Tim tweeting that I didn't have the right to "style myself" Grading Officer for Durham was a straight lie. That vocabulary is perfectly tenable, because Northumberland is not Durham. Bridging that gap will cost you £22 million at 2001 prices :wink:

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:56 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:05 pm
because Northumberland is not Durham.
My Mother always said people down south didn’t know the difference between Lancashire and Yorkshire. She never mentioned Durham and Northumberland though……..

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:47 am

I think I would prefer to keep out out of local disputes in the North East.

I stayed a week at the Metro Centre, met an old mate in the Toon the first night I was there, worked hard at the tournament and met some great people, in the world of chess and outside. As an arbiter at the tournament, I saw many sides to Tim Wall. All I know is that the good sides heavily outweighed the bad in terms of the tournament - it simply wouldn't have happened with Tim's do or die attitude. Temporary difficulties were always that, temporary, as the man clearly has a lot of personal capital in the area and could always find someone to help out. I will be happy to help him out in any future tournament or other chess venture, too.

I am aware that Chris Goodall has been bitching Tim Wall up on this site for some months now. I don't know the background. I assume that there is some personal niggle at the root. I couldn't give a flying f**k in any case.

I have spent years ignoring Goodall's blatherings on this forum. His recent attempt to damn me as being in some putative CSC political camp, though, on the basis that I had worked for CSC for twelve years, which was news to me, had me, though, rolling on the floor. I shall keep my old advice and ignore the dull screeds that follow.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:12 am

I was intending to post some thoughts on the election. But for now I think I'll just enjoy the glory of a man who doesn't want to get involved in North East chess politics getting involved in North East chess politics, a man who objects to the ECF rating system insisting he is an ECF grader, and a Scot teaching us English geography.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:34 am

"But for now I think I'll just enjoy the glory of a man who doesn't want to get involved in North East chess politics getting involved in North East chess politics, a man who objects to the ECF rating system insisting he is an ECF grader, and a Scot teaching us English geography."

Where's the "Like" Button?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:14 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:12 am
But for now I think I'll just enjoy the glory of a man who doesn't want to get involved in North East chess politics getting involved in North East chess politics, a man who objects to the ECF rating system insisting he is an ECF grader, and a Scot teaching us English geography.
Your third point is very harsh. The Scot lives in the region of England about which he is speaking and is involved in chess activity there.
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:12 am
I was intending to post some thoughts on the election.
I have decided that discretion is the better part of valour in that regard.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:47 am
I think I would prefer to keep out out of local disputes in the North East.
That is a very gracious offer of a draw in a lost position :)

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:26 am

Paul Heaton wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:56 pm
My Mother always said people down south didn’t know the difference between Lancashire and Yorkshire. She never mentioned Durham and Northumberland though……..
'.....was ne'er agreed.
Ask where's the North? At York, 'tis on the Tweed;
In Scotland, at the Orcades; and there,
At Greenland, Zembla, or the Lord knows where'

(Pope)