Nominations 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

Nominations 2021

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:38 pm

Nominations open
Members of the Board
President – Dominic Lawson is intending to stand
Chief Executive – Mike Truran is intending to stand
Director of Junior Chess – Alex Holowczak is intending to stand
Director of Women’s Chess – Chris Fegan is not intending to stand

Other elected posts
Chairman of the Council – Michael Farthing is intending to stand
FIDE Delegate – Malcolm Pein is intending to stand
Chair of the Governance Committee – Robert Stern is intending to stand
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Fegan

Re: Nominations 2021

Post by Chris Fegan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:51 pm

I am taking the unusual step of intervening on a thread on the Forum because after serving on the Board for 3 years I’ve concluded Mike Truran needs to be challenged and replaced as ECF Chief Executive.

Mike’s tenure pre-covid saw very limited progress in the Federation's performance, financially and operationally. He has made virtually no efforts in the areas of fundraising and sponsorship or in seeking to develop the remit of the ECF and indeed some of his actions have, in my view, attempted to neuter the organisation.

I was horrified when he proposed that the PIF funds be moved into a separate Chess Trust charity when we should be working on transferring them to the ECF for the direct benefit of members, another very low point was when he initiated the removal of the post of Director of Women’s Chess which I had to fight to get reinstated.

I and other Board members have had to put up with tantrums, numerous threats to resign and a litany of other unprofessional interactions with some members of the Board and the latest of these is the subject of a formal Official Code of Conduct Complaint under ECF Regulation 4 and ECF Regulation 5 which has been submitted by a fellow Director.

I’m delighted to announce that I am fulfilling the pledge I made when I was elected and I will not be standing again as ECF Director of Women's Chess, as a female candidate has been found, however I am currently considering my position for the forthcoming AGM.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:09 pm

The notice has been corrected and now reads

Members of the Board
President – Dominic Lawson is intending to stand
Chief Executive – Mike Truran is intending to stand
Director of Junior Chess – Alex Holowczak is intending to stand
Director of Women’s Chess – Chris Fegan is not intending to stand
Director of Events – this is a new post
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:27 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:51 pm
I and other Board members have had to put up with tantrums
How have other people found you behave in personal interactions Chris
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:36 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
I am taking the unusual step of intervening on a thread on the Forum because after serving on the Board for 3 years I’ve concluded Mike Truran needs to be challenged and replaced as ECF Chief Executive.

Mike’s tenure pre-covid saw very limited progress in the Federation's performance, financially and operationally. He has made virtually no efforts in the areas of fundraising and sponsorship or in seeking to develop the remit of the ECF and indeed some of his actions have, in my view, attempted to neuter the organisation.

I was horrified when he proposed that the PIF funds be moved into a separate Chess Trust charity when we should be working on transferring them to the ECF for the direct benefit of members, another very low point was when he initiated the removal of the post of Director of Women’s Chess which I had to fight to get reinstated.

I and other Board members have had to put up with tantrums, numerous threats to resign and a litany of other unprofessional interactions with some members of the Board and the latest of these is the subject of a formal Official Code of Conduct Complaint under ECF Regulation 4 and ECF Regulation 5 which has been submitted by a fellow Director.

I’m delighted to announce that I am fulfilling the pledge I made when I was elected and I will not be standing again as ECF Director of Women's Chess, as a female candidate has been found, however I am currently considering my position for the forthcoming AGM.
My guess is that a board without Chris Fegan in it is likely to be more harmonious.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:40 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:

Thanks for posting in this place Chris.

For the record, could you reveal the rules of engagement agreed by the board with respect to this place?

Was there or is there any kind of gagging order or D-Notice?

Do you know if all members of the board were pleased to comply with this order or was there dissent?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:48 pm

Angus

I am not in the habit of calling other Board members a liar in written communications within the Board.

Chris

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:49 pm

John Upham wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:40 pm
Chris Fegan wrote:
This reminds me, when there was another place, wasn't Carl barred from posting there? And was it Chris who described this place as "toxic"?
Chris Fegan wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:48 pm
I am not in the habit of calling other Board members a liar in written communications within the Board.
Are you in the habit of discussing the contents of those written communications in public?
Last edited by JustinHorton on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:50 pm

John Upham wrote:
Chris Fegan wrote:

For the record, could you reveal the rules of engagement agreed by the board with respect to this place?

Do you know if all members of the board were pleased to comply with this order or was there dissent?
John

I think this was in the Board minutes of a previous meeting but cannot off hand remember which one

Chris

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:32 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:50 pm
John Upham wrote:
Chris Fegan wrote:

John

I think this was in the Board minutes of a previous meeting but cannot off hand remember which one

Chris
This has been discussed:

"Re: Seeking Clarity
Post by John Swain » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:48 pm

So far as I can see, this was an issue last raised in the Board meeting on 28 August 2020 (No. 139):

11. Ecforum – MT

MT proposed that in line with previous guidance Board Members and ECF Officers reporting to
the Board or to a director must refrain from posting on Ecforum on ECF-related matters. Any
exceptions should be agreed with MT.

The proposal was approved with 7 in favour and 2 abstentions
It was noted that MF and NF were not officers reporting to the Board and that as such neither
of them was within the purview of the resolution.

AP 139/08 – MT to consider how the proposal for board members and relevant officers to
refrain from posting on ECF-related matters should be implemented."

It is interesting to note that frequent contributors to this Forum Michael Farthing (MF) and Nick Faulks (NF) were both in attendance at this Board meeting as "Observers and Guests"! As a supporter of free speech, I welcome their exclusion from this policy.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:35 pm

I thought you was still on the board till the AGM?

What is the role of the chief executive by the way?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:46 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:49 pm
And was it Chris who described this place as "toxic"?
For the record, Chris has consistently stated that it was not.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:24 am

John Reyes wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:35 pm
I thought you was still on the board till the AGM?

What is the role of the chief executive by the way?
John

Many thanks for your questions.

As you rightly say,I am still a Board Member until the 2021 AGM, although I appointed an Alternate Director of Women's Chess in 2020 and I am hoping that she will be elected by Council at the AGM to replace me. I did this to ensure, as much as I can, that a Female ECF Member will replace me in line with the promise that I gave when elected at the 2018 AGM to find a female ECF Member to replace me and that I would then stand down and also to give her time to "shadow" me for a year and to learn about the role and to help me in decision making as well as to attend Board meetings -this is positive and proactive succession planning and is a widespread practice in the "outside world" but as far as I know is the first time it has ever been done in the ECF.

With regard to the role of the Chief Executive this is outlined in ECF Regulation No 2 and as I have indicated, it is the case that a number of Board members including myself think that Mike Truran has been a failure in fulfilling this role.

Chris

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:32 am

Chris Fegan wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:24 am
As you rightly say, I am still a Board Member until the 2021 AGM
This being so, should you be discussing the contents of intra-Board communications on here?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:43 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:32 am
Chris Fegan wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:24 am
As you rightly say, I am still a Board Member until the 2021 AGM
This being so, should you be discussing the contents of intra-Board communications on here?
I have only alluded to a public, although formal and Official ECF Regulation No 4 Standards of Conduct Complaint, (which is currently the subject of an official ECF investigation and inquiry by the ECF Non Executive Directors) into the conduct and behaviour of the Chief Executive and which is very relevant as he is seeking re-election.