Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

Roger de Coverly

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:06 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:21 am
Isn't this the rumour started by CJ when Malcolm stood for non-executive director many years ago?
Contemporary reports suggest that he implied at the Council meeting itself that he would delegate some or all of the work, particularly boring stuff such as reading board papers. The voters at the meeting took a dim view of this and a majority voted for not this candidate. There may have also been a dubious ruling that the Board at the time were not allowed to vote on the issue.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:19 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:02 am
That said I don't think ECF Delegates should be keeping things secret from the organisations they represent.
Yep :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:15 am

I only heard this rumour because of an email sent to me by the Chief Executive asking me for my vote. Andrew's post appeared soon after, so I wondered.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:32 am

For what it's worth it reached me nearly a month ago
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 am

We need unsubstantiated rumours about both candidates in the interest of fairness.

I heard a rumour (but I won't back it up) that Mike Truran...... <rumour>..............</rumour>*

I hope that helps.

*create your own for amusement and claim you heard it from several unreliable sources who in no way support the other candidate.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:04 pm

When you hate people spreading rumours
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:16 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:21 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 pm
It was me who brought the "rumour" on to the forum but I have heard it from several different sources. If it is inaccurate then perhaps Malcolm (or somebody in his team) can set the record straight and I will apologise and withdraw.
I've been told that Malcom had said this; if so, that would account for how you've heard it from multiple sources
Isn't this the rumour started by CJ when Malcolm stood for non-executive director many years ago?
That was ECF Council Meeting 16 October 2010 when CJ advised that Malcolm had no time to read emails, and so CJ would forward him only vital emails, Malcolm would be unable to attend most meetings and intended appointing an alternate (which according to my notes of said meeting was "a Mr Read employed by the Chess Centre I think") to do the work
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:18 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:16 pm
"a Mr Read employed by the Chess Centre I think") to do the work
Matthew Read

https://www.facebook.com/mattyready
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:02 pm

Even if we accept that we can't read Malcolm's mind, we're still entitled to ask whom someone with a full-time role as a charity CEO, plus other commitments, intends to appoint as an alternate. In case their other commitments turn out, to their surprise, to leave them no time to run the ECF.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:37 pm

I think I can now be slightly more specific and state that the question over how long Malcolm Pein would remain CEO if elected was raised in a document circulated to council members yesterday. While not a council member myself I have had sight of it. In any case it seems a straightforward enough question for the Malcolm campaign to answer; if he plans to serve a full term as CEO he can just say so. Of course that takes us back to the question of what happens to International ...

Since this election has begun Mike Truran has had to contend with abusive blog posts and confidential board information being put in the public domain. By contrast a question has been raised about Malcolm Pein's candidacy which he can easily enough dispel. I may not agree with Malcolm's campaign position in this election but I consider him a man of integrity and will take his word.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:13 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:37 pm
I think I can now be slightly more specific and state that the question over how long Malcolm Pein would remain CEO if elected was raised in a document circulated to council members yesterday. While not a council member myself I have had sight of it. In any case it seems a straightforward enough question for the Malcolm campaign to answer; if he plans to serve a full term as CEO he can just say so. Of course that takes us back to the question of what happens to International ...

Since this election has begun Mike Truran has had to contend with abusive blog posts and confidential board information being put in the public domain. By contrast a question has been raised about Malcolm Pein's candidacy which he can easily enough dispel. I may not agree with Malcolm's campaign position in this election but I consider him a man of integrity and will take his word.
does someone have a answer for this?

who could do the International director role?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
... Of course that takes us back to the question of what happens to International ...
Checking what the ECF's Articles of Association say... So far as I can make out, the potentially relevant Articles or parts of Articles are:
Article 43.(2) wrote:No Director shall serve on the Board in more than one capacity...
Article 54 wrote:A Director shall cease to be a Director:-
(1) if he resigns his directorship by giving notice to the Company; or
(2) if he dies, becomes bankrupt, becomes mentally incapable of managing his own affairs, or is convicted of an indictable offence for which he is sentenced to a term of imprisonment; or
(3) if, notwithstanding anything in any agreement between the Company and such Director, he is removed by a simple majority of the members following the procedure laid down in Section 168 of the Act;
(4) if he is disqualified under the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986 or otherwise;
(5) if he is removed from office by notice in writing signed by each other Director (and a Director may also be suspended from office by notice in writing from each other Director).
and
Article 57 wrote:The Board shall have power at any time, and from time to time, to appoint any person to a Board Position, but so that the total number of Directors shall not at any time exceed any maximum number fixed in accordance with these Articles. Any Director so appointed shall hold office only until the next following Annual General Meeting, and shall then be eligible for re-election. The Board shall also have power at any time to fill a casual vacancy arising in respect of the FIDE Delegate, the Chairman of the Council, the Auditor or the Standing Committees referred to in Article 17 to hold office only until the end of the next following Annual General Meeting.
So, it doesn't seem exactly clear to me how a Director is prevented from serving the Board in more than one capacity but I would *guess* that the moment an existing Director is elected to a new Director position they are deemed to have resigned their old position. This would create a vacancy which the Board, under Article 57, would then be empowered to fill. Any person appointed under Article 57 would need to be elected at the following AGM to continue to hold the position.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of Robert Stern on this (Robert is, of course, the current Chair of the Governance Committee and also an expert in Company law and this sort of stuff).

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:39 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
I think I can now be slightly more specific and state that the question over how long Malcolm Pein would remain CEO if elected was raised in a document circulated to council members yesterday. While not a council member myself I have had sight of it.

Election Addresses have been issued by both CEO candidates but it now seems we are in the realm of supplementary appeals, presumably in response to the rival's proposals.

Given that there are a number of county AGMs in the pipeline, and the invitation for ECF members to express their views to some of their Direct Members' Representatives, it would be helpful for all additional material by both candidates to be published in this place. If the ECF's Gagging Orders inhibit the candidates, others not reporting to the Board need not be so inhibited.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:16 pm

John Swain wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:39 pm
... the invitation for ECF members to express their views to some of their Direct Members' Representatives,...
I'm still waiting for my invitation.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:25 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:16 pm
John Swain wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:39 pm
... the invitation for ECF members to express their views to some of their Direct Members' Representatives,...
I'm still waiting for my invitation.
Possibly the reps are waiting for all documents for the AGM to be published - so far we only have details of the nominations and the election addresses. The AGM takes place on 16 October and is still a few weeks away.