Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

John Upham

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by John Upham » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:13 pm

mickriding wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:23 pm
And interesting withdrawal. I cannot se how or why a contest will have been not in the interests of British Chess given all that has been said and done over the last few months. Indeed, I would only withdraw myself if I saw the writing on the wall.
I suspect that MBP wanted to remain as International Director but felt that he was forced to obtain concessions from MCT and therefore the election was contested.

J.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:51 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:15 am
John Reyes quoting MP wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:56 pm
It was clear to me that both candidates had considerable support and that the electoral outcome would be quite close.
Yeah, right. He did at least achieve one goal, which was that as a result of the general unpleasantness Fenella's challenge to his candidate for Director of Women's Chess was run off.
Indeed; I don't think the electoral outcome would have been close, and I do think it would have been good to allow Council to show their feelings

The problems are that Malcolm is still on the board, he's still got Fegan, Wall etc being generally unpleasant (has he apologised for what was said in his name?), he's still got 5 of the 6 Member reps, he's still publicly attacked the other Member rep for actually doing his job (no doubt he'll be trying to make sure John Reyes doesn't get re-elected), I could go on

David may be pleased that peace has broken out, but some of us are still concerned
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:03 pm

I don't think it would have been close either.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:43 pm

I've invited Tim Wall via British Chess News to apologise for his role in the election campaign. It would be nice if Chris Fegan did the same, but I'd settle for him withdrawing from the election on Saturday, otherwise I might take a toilet break rather than listen. And I agree with Mick Norris that the attacks on John Reyes have been unacceptable. Malcolm should personally acknowledge that to Council in my view. And if Fenella really did feel as Nick Faulks alleges that her campaign was nobbled, then that too shouldn't be ignored. There may be a peace of sorts, but the healing process must start quickly.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:11 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:51 pm
Indeed; I don't think the electoral outcome would have been close, and I do think it would have been good to allow Council to show their feelings
Not good for Malcolm, though. That was his problem: as the underdog you need an "out". A way to lose gracefully and have it not matter too much. His so-called supporters ruined that for him. They took what could have been a referendum on some dry financial issues and turned it into Thatcher vs. the miners, round 2. If people were talking about my quite likely defeat as a victory for the forces of darkness over the forces of light, I would cut and run too.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:20 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:11 pm
Not good for Malcolm, though. That was his problem: as the underdog you need an "out". A way to lose gracefully and have it not matter too much. His so-called supporters ruined that for him.
Not unlike the FIDE election of 2018.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:36 pm

The financial issues were indeed quite dry and technical; but Malcolm never came close to winning the argument, even on those.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:40 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:03 pm
I don't think it would have been close either.
No it’s a face saving exercise now.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
David may be pleased that peace has broken out, but some of us are still concerned
I don't underestimate the problems, Mick. As I said myself:
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:41 pm
I fear that the scars may take some time to heal.
Nevertheless I remain pleased with recent developments.

Mick, would you rather that peace had not broken out?
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:34 pm

David

We don't know the basis of the deal. Some aspects of the healing process could be effected reasonably quickly. A few have been suggested above. There might have been some merit in 'lancing the boil' rather than an uneasy truce. Most posters are not well placed to know. With respect to Malcolm and Mike we need the details and specific actions not a photo opportunity over a bottle or two of wine.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:37 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:34 pm
David

We don't know the basis of the deal. Some aspects of the healing process could be effected reasonably quickly. A few have been suggested above. There might have been some merit in 'lancing the boil' rather than an uneasy truce. Most posters are not well placed to know. With respect to Malcolm and Mike we need the details and specific actions not a photo opportunity over a bottle or two of wine.
Well said Jonathan.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:02 pm

Mick Norris wrote:

The problems are that Malcolm is still on the board, he's still got Fegan, Wall etc being generally unpleasant (has he apologised for what was said in his name?), he's still got 5 of the 6 Member reps, he's still publicly attacked the other Member rep for actually doing his job (no doubt he'll be trying to make sure John Reyes doesn't get re-elected), I could go on

What normally happens after any instance of scandalous conduct in English chess is that after the immediate crisis is over people insist that everything be put behind us, which has the additional effect of not allowing any general lessons to be drawn from events, still less be acted upon. "Live and don't learn", as I seem to recall one poster on here memorably putting it.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:17 pm

Heh. I've been censored by British Chess News...

Edit: On reflection it is more likely to be Tim Wall who deleted the thread as its originator. Didn't seem keen to acknowledge his role, keener to accuse me of hypocritical character assassination or similar as I'd posted dozens of personal abusive posts myself. He deleted the entire thread when I pointed out the obvious factual error, and the absurdity of the comparison.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:36 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:22 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
I don't underestimate the problems, Mick. As I said myself:
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:41 pm
I fear that the scars may take some time to heal.
Nevertheless I remain pleased with recent developments.

Mick, would you rather that peace had not broken out?
David, to be honest, I'm not sure I do, for the reasons Justin states

I'm still in a position that 2 MCF Officers have been attacked, and no apologies have been issued

I think you know as well as me that some scars never heal, which is why there's a problem with English Chess
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:17 pm
He deleted the entire thread when I pointed out the obvious factual error, and the absurdity of the comparison.
That would explain why he dislikes this forum. You can't do that here.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.