Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

Nick Ivell

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:45 am

Matters to do with the AGM are now available on the ECF website.

Inappropriate posts have been made in this place which could have prejudiced the formal complaints process (as it turned out, the outcome was the right one).

I therefore draw attention to the comments made about Chris Fegan in the NEDs report.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:05 am

John Reyes wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:17 pm
Just a quick question

4NCL Directors (Mike Truran, Alex Holowczak and David Thomas) sat simultaneously on the ECF Board?

do they take a salary from the 4ncl? as i don't know that answer and though i would asked someone who know better then me?
I don't think they do, and I think there is a very obvious difference between CSC representation on the board and 4NCL, which is that in the former instance you have people who are employed by another Board member (and candidate for CEO) and in the latter you do not. We can all of us, including Malcolm, understand why this is a potential problem of governance, because people are not independent of other people who employ them.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:13 am

(Incidentally, this dredges up a couple of items from my memory. One of thich is that there used to be a lot of fuss about, if I have the phrase right, the "arbiter nexus". Who used to complain about this supposed clique?

The other is that I'm sure there wsa a discussion here about declarations of interest on the part of ECF representatives - or maybe just Board members, I can't quite recall - and I am not sure how it turned out, or even whether there is such a thing as a register of interests. Does anybody else recall this?)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:19 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:13 am
or even whether there is such a thing as a register of interests
About Us > Documents > Register of Interests
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am

JustinHorton wrote:
The other is that I'm sure there wsa a discussion here about declarations of interest on the part of ECF representatives - or maybe just Board members, I can't quite recall - and I am not sure how it turned out, or even whether there is such a thing as a register of interests. Does anybody else recall this?)
It dates back to the Phil Ehr era so 2013ish. One example being that when I stood for Junior Director I was told that being a junior organiser was a conflict of interest.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:27 am

JustinHorton wrote:
(Incidentally, this dredges up a couple of items from my memory. One of thich is that there used to be a lot of fuss about, if I have the phrase right, the "arbiter nexus". Who used to complain about this supposed clique?
I think John Foley coined the phrase, and I believe he though the word nexus was a neutral one to describe an interest group which would not provoke a "are you accusing me of being part of a conspiracy?" response. My thoughts on this up thread

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:31 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:45 am

Inappropriate posts have been made in this place which could have prejudiced the formal complaints process (as it turned out, the outcome was the right one).
Nick

I would await the outcome of the appeal against the original decision about Rob Willmoth's complaint about Mike Truran, which will now be heard by a new and independent panel after major concerns about process in the original hearing were raised, before I started counting my chickens.

Chris

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:37 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:19 am
About Us > Documents > Register of Interests
ta
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am
It dates back to the Phil Ehr era so 2013ish. One example being that when I stood for Junior Director I was told that being a junior organiser was a conflict of interest.
Good Lord. May I ask by whom?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 am

"English Chess Federation AGM October 2021
This year’s AGM takes place on Saturday October 16th starting at 1.30pm at the Hellenic Centre, 16-18 Paddington Street, Marylebone,
London W1U 5AS; also with access for representatives via Zoom"

I have just noticed the above, not sure how long it has been there. Details relating to the voting process will be of interest.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 am

Well, one flagrant breach of process was to draw attention to the complaint here!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:46 am

Quite so.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:15 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 am
Well, one flagrant breach of process was to draw attention to the complaint here!
Nick

Why?

Do you not believe in openness or democracy or are you one of the "let's sweep bad news underneath the carpet" brigade like Julian Clissold?

Clissold's horrendous and inappropriate chairing of the ECF Board in the last 3 years and his desire to keep issues and debates behind "closed doors" and away from ECF members by trying to "redact" anything slightly controversial is why the ECF Board is so dysfunctional and in a mess and frankly is split down the middle as I said in my Election statement for Chair of Governance.

Clissold has tried to gag me and other members of the Board, week in and week out and eventually enough is enough and "the worm turns".

He has dragged the other NED's along with him although I know they have private misgivings about the way he has rode roughshod in this area.

The ECF needs to clear its "Augean stables"

Chris

PS; Mr Clissold is the one who originally called this Forum toxic" in a Board meeting all those years ago.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:22 am

Well, you've made your views on Julian perfectly clear!

Openness and democracy, yes. But a complaints process is different. No organisation worth its salt allows public discussion of a complaint before the outcome is known. That's good governance, not 'sweeping under the carpet'.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:22 am

Openness and democracy, yes. But a complaints process is different. No organisation worth its salt allows public discussion of a complaint before the outcome is known. That's good governance, not 'sweeping under the carpet'.
Nick

You seem to forget that you have been very happy to discuss all this in public on here before the process is over and the appeal has been heard.

You cannot have it both ways I am afraid.

Chris

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:33 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:45 am
Matters to do with the AGM are now available on the ECF website.

I therefore draw attention to the comments made about Chris Fegan in the NEDs report.
The NEDs report is here. Nearly half of the report concerns Board Behavior and Relations. It's all worth reading - especially for Council reps - but one part in particular caught my attention:
NEDs report to the 2021 AGM wrote:4.10 This resulted in the Governance Committee writing to the NEDs to suggest that action be taken in respect of the posts citing various breaches of the duties by [Chris Fegan].
These included:
(i) Breach of confidentiality as a director.
(ii) Breach of the agreed board policy on prohibiting the use of social med without the prior consent of the CEO.
(iii) Bringing the board into disrepute contrary to Paragraph 2.1 of Regulation 4.
(iv) Denigrating a colleague (in contravention of the Code of Conduct for Board members).
(v) Failing to act collegiately (also in contravention of the Code of Conduct).

4.11 The NEDs raised the matter with CF. At the time of writing there has been no adequate response.