Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

Mick Norris

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:44 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:37 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:32 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:49 pm
It's interesting that these allegations against Julian Clissold are only surfacing now, particularly as he is one of the few survivors of the Ehr board. He was even a low level member of the arbiter nexus being one of (I think) four members of the board at that time who held an arbiter qualification.
Yes, but he's part of the Manchester nexus :wink: , like John Reyes who is being attacked for being independent and not agreeing with Tim Wall; it's fairly easy to see what's going on here :roll:

We like arguing with each other in Manchester, but much prefer arguing with non-Manchester people given the chance :lol:
Mick

I am from Manchester, Julian Clissold certainly is not and I thought you were from Bolton

Chris
I live in Bolton, was born in Preston and brought up in Euxton if you really want to know; my daughter was born in Manchester

We're talking chess, and the Manchester Chess Federation, of which Julian is an elected officer, as is John, I'm a past President and you're not involved at all, thankfully

I am aware that you're originally from Manchester, as you asked to play for us in the county championship; problem with that, of course, is that at least 1 of our existing players won't want to play in the same team as you
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:23 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:44 pm

I am aware that you're originally from Manchester, as you asked to play for us in the county championship; problem with that, of course, is that at least 1 of our existing players won't want to play in the same team as you
Fascinating though this whole discussion is, when it reaches this level most readers will switch off.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:54 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:31 pm
From Malcolm's campaign page. Kingston chess club asked whether the survival of local chess clubs is fundamental to the future of chess.

Malcolm's response was as follows (I'll quote in full so no context is lost).
Completely, and there may be an interesting revelation on Mike Truran's view coming later in the campaign
I think this one can be filed under "Good God it gets worse". Why do we need a revelation later in the campaign? If there is something about Mike Truran's views we need to know (which I doubt) why can't he just say it? I would prefer not to believe at this stage that this isn't a half truth that is being timed to disrupt the campaign at a critical moment.
Okay, let's front-run it. What's the worst-case scenario? Mike believes that the survival of local chess clubs is not fundamental to the future of chess?

Well, that seems a reasonable thing to believe. Most chess is online now! David Robertson assured us that evening league chess would wither and die completely by 2025, and they let him on the governance committee.

More importantly, when a chess club has shrunk to the point where it can't run a club night and is just a building with a league team in, the chess world loses nothing if the league team moves in with a better-established club. It's all about maintaining that critical mass of players, such that a beginner can drop in to any club night and find someone to play.

Gosforth Chess Club has, without planning to, absorbed Newcastle, White Eagle, Eldon Leisure and West Denton since 2002. Four out of six clubs in the Borough of Newcastle have disappeared. And yet we had the same number of league teams in 2000, 2018 and 1971, so their survival can't have been that fundamental to the future of chess.

So, Malcolm. What were you saying about Mike Truran's views?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:09 pm

I agree with much of Chris' post. How often are league rules on something like team sizes tweaked to keep failing clubs involved, with consequences for other teams? How often does this provide an opportunity for that club to consolidate and grow? I much prefer diversity, than many teams from a smaller number of clubs, but if there is no critical mass or prospect of it, shouldn't we be more realistic? I write this at a time when my own club is struggling, post COVID though one of our members is meeting our funding gap to ensure membership fees don't double. I also recognise that in shire areas, travel may be more of an issue to reach the consolidated super club - I don't drive - I would have no club easily accessible. Nevertheless we will look at the way we do chess at the club rather than look for special favours from the county league.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:43 pm

In the Huddersfield League we have deliberately split clubs to keep other growing and create new. Tonight there are 14 players playing between Holmfirth and Huddersfield with 7 new this season; although it would have been 18 tonight if not for a horrid cold bug sweeping through the area. It can be done.

I have had people on both sides of the debate liking what we are doing to grow and am seeing a strong resurgence in local chess (even the local High school is creating a club now). My strong impression is that both camps appreciate local clubs, even if we do not hit those lofty grading heights of those at the top.
HDCA President

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:18 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:43 pm
In the Huddersfield League we have deliberately split clubs to keep other growing and create new. Tonight there are 14 players playing between Holmfirth and Huddersfield with 7 new this season; although it would have been 18 tonight if not for a horrid cold bug sweeping through the area. It can be done.

I have had people on both sides of the debate liking what we are doing to grow and am seeing a strong resurgence in local chess (even the local High school is creating a club now). My strong impression is that both camps appreciate local clubs, even if we do not hit those lofty grading heights of those at the top.
Tell me more... do you just tell a third of club A to go play for club B on a different night of the week?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:24 pm

Nope. We asked who fancied making a new club, advertised, shoved money in, negotiated free premises and went and did it. Not relevant to this thread though.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:32 pm

Now the model the Ilkley Chess Centre follow is fantastic. Especially doing this commercially. I am completely off topic now, which is no bad thing on this thread....
HDCA President

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Post by Hok Yin Stephen Chiu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:16 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:05 am
people are not independent of other people who employ them.
Given how small the English Chess world is, in terms of well known organisers/arbiters/captains, whenever there is anything contentious, there is always going to be ongoing accusations of conflict of interest and malpractice, because everyone knows everyone else, or have worked for, worked with, played for, made rulings against, etc etc... any resentment from the past can easily be blown put of proportion..
G. Secretary, https://WarwickChessAlumni.blogspot.com/
Delegate - Leamington
FIDE Arbiter

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 am

That doesn't mean anything though does it? It doesn't tell us whether any particular thing is true, false or exaggerated.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:11 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 am
That doesn't mean anything though does it? It doesn't tell us whether any particular thing is true, false or exaggerated.
Nor does people not being independent of other people who employ them. What's your point?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:20 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:49 pm
It's interesting that these allegations against Julian Clissold are only surfacing now, particularly as he is one of the few survivors of the Ehr board. He was even a low level member of the arbiter nexus being one of (I think) four members of the board at that time who held an arbiter qualification.
People may forget, but Clissold was an avid supporter of Andrew Paulson and Phil Ehr. At the emergency board meeting to consider a confidence motion, only Ehr and Clissold supported the President with all other Directors against. Of course, Julian was so confused that he actually voted against the President initially before realising and switching his vote! Clearly the puppet missed his cue :D

Interestingly, he and Ehr then did their utmost to undermine the Board in the month before the result council meeting which ultimately removed Paulson from office.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:14 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:20 pm
Interestingly, [Clissold] and Ehr then did their utmost to undermine the Board in the month before the result council meeting which ultimately removed Paulson from office.
That is not correct. Paulson resigned as ECF President on 8th March 2014, the day of that year's Varsity Match. See www.saund.co.uk/britbase/pgn/201403vars-viewer.html.

The ECF Council Meeting on 12th April 2014 rejected Paulson's request to be temporarily appointed as the ECF Delegate to the European Chess Union. This brought the saga to an end.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:25 pm

When do the votes take place?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:32 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:14 pm
That is not correct. Paulson resigned as ECF President on 8th March 2014, the day of that year's Varsity Match.
God, the pathos
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com