Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

Andrew Zigmond

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:16 pm

I'm also pleased that some accommodation has been reached. I think this election has highlighted numerous government issues that need to be resolved; however I will wait until the elections are concluded before commenting further.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:54 pm

So when's the joint statement coming out (and when will we see official confirmation that Malcolm has withdrawn his candidacy)?

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:02 pm

Angus French wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:54 pm
So when's the joint statement coming out (and when will we see official confirmation that Malcolm has withdrawn his candidacy)?
Wait, Malcolm wouldn't seriously walk back from a statement like

I will remain in post as Director of International Chess and Mike Truran will stand unopposed on Saturday. It was clear to me that both candidates had considerable support and that the electoral outcome would be quite close. Such division could not be good for the ECF or English chess.

would he?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:41 pm

The appeal findings in the complaint by Rob Willmoth against Mike Truran have been published:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... plaint.pdf

The conclusions are:

8. Conclusions.
8.1 I conclude that my consideration of the Panel Report and the arguments
presented to me by the appellant, do not provide a basis to defer from the Panel’s
conclusion that the actions that occurred, whilst far from satisfactory, did not
amount to serious maladministration. Accordingly, the appeal is rejected.
8.2 I conclude that despite rejecting the appeal, it cannot be found that a
complaint that resulted in a finding of causing gratuitous offence was entirely
without merit. I therefore conclude that in accordance with section 1.3 of
Regulation No. 5, the £50 fee paid by RW should be refunded.

There is also a recommendation:

9. Recommendation.
9.1. The following recommendation strays beyond my jurisdiction under Regulation
No. 5. However, In addressing these matters I have concluded that there are substantial
problems with how Regulations Nos. 4 and 5 work together. I elaborate on this further
in the Annex to this report.
9.2 I recommend that given:
• that the Board meeting on 30th July preceded the Panel’s work and finding of
gratuitous offence having been given
• that the full outcome of that meeting is disputed by various parties who attended
that it would be appropriate for the Board to consider whether further consideration is
appropriate in accordance with their responsibility to administer Regulation No. 4.
Julie Denning
6th October 2021

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:35 pm

Angus French wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:54 pm
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/mike-tr ... ement-agm/

I'll be interested what Mike and Malcolm say about the various motions on the AGM agenda.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:07 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:35 pm
I'll be interested what Mike and Malcolm say about the various motions on the AGM agenda.
I think they've now come to a common ground that whatever is decided to do with the residual PIF Assets, they have to be routed through the Chess Trust, primarily for taxation reasons. If a charity (the Chess Trust) is given money, the donor (the Trustees of the BCF PIF) can attach conditions as to how, if at all, it is to be spent. The existing rules of the BCF PIF seemingly require expenditure of the capital to be approved by (the BCF) Council.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:21 pm

It's tempting to infer that one of the candidates saw the electoral writing on the wall and opted to pre-empt. Shades of 2018 when he allied himself with a Greek with tainted reputation. As for the claim that the pair "... have agreed a way forward on the matters where they previously differed" I can believe a compromise may have been reached over finance but it's hard to see any real middle ground over the issue of management styles. If that's the case, it's presumably only a matter of time before old tensions resurface.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:29 pm

I'm not sure, notable Malcolm has only 1 year left in his second term. I'm not sure what other ECF job he would want.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 pm

What's the second term got to do with anything?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:00 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 pm
What's the second term got to do with anything?
Views expressed in a blog earlier this year by one of the Silver Member Representatives suggest it's important.

https://www.chess.com/blog/timpeterwall ... -officials

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:37 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:00 pm
Views expressed in a blog earlier this year by one of the Silver Member Representatives suggest it's important.
Let's be fair though: if the consensus is that Mike can serve a third term, it seems churlish to remind that Silver rep of his objection to third terms when Malcolm seeks a third term. One rule for everyone.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:44 am

It was more my recollection of what Malcolm said at the last AGM than Tim's blog. But I also thought Michael was at that meeting, so maybe my memory is unreliable.

I suppose Malcolm could smile and say that it was all kayfabe, and that he was happy to serve a third term because it was just politics. But as the wrestling fans know, kayfabe works best when there is some truth in it.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:26 am

My point was more that the Articles don't prohibit and that Council chose to leave it that way. I do remember Malcolm's comment but my memory of it was that it was along the lines of "I shall be happy to go" rather than "I would feel it wrong to stay". But as Paul says - memories are unreliable and mine getting more so.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:20 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:26 am
But as Paul says - memories are unreliable and mine getting more so.
All the more reason for meetings to be recorded.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:37 am

I suspect there will be time to bring that up in A.O.B if you'd like, Nick.