Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

John Foley

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by John Foley » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:40 am

If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:50 am
I actually had some sympathy for Malcolm in that situation. My impression was that Angus was pushing for the salaries of individual players to be put in the public domain to be picked over, something that I consider a confidential matter.
That's bo**ocks and you really ought to check before making claims like that.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:44 pm

From the minutes of the 2018 FC meeting.

"Motion: “That a greater breakdown of the International expenditure budget be
requested.”

Proposed: Angus French Seconded: Francis Bowers

On a hand vote: 19 in favour, 6 against.
Motion passed."
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:22 pm

Angus French wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 pm
Had Andrew prepended his message with "I heard a rumour" would that have been less contentious?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:43 pm

Just seen this on my facebook list and thought i put this on this group

Just to let you know i'm in no one camp and i can have my own views on behalf of other people i look after

Putting the Record Straight: Answering John Reyes and Mike Truran
Statement by Malcolm Pein, 20th September, 2021
For British Chess News / Immediate Release
The recent message from ECF Silver Members’ Representative John Reyes, posted on the forum is such an awful misrepresentation of my position that I can only conclude it’s deliberately designed to mislead. It’s quite an intellectual leap for John Reyes to read my election address, which lists, as the first possible use of the BCF Legacy assets as:

‘1) To build the reserves to an amount specified by the Finance Committee, likely £100,000’ and allege that I intend to, and I quote the Silver Members’ rep here:

“If you feel you want to blow the pif funds and spend money on development officers till the money is gone and it’s will vote (sic) for Malcolm but if you want the chess trust to kept (sic) hold of the money and used calculated and logic risk (sic), then vote for Mike”

Perhaps John couldn’t work out that I was referring to the ECF reserves which had shrunk to a dangerously low level of 33K last time the Board were updated. I am proposing allocating about 20% of the legacy assets (circa £200K) to reserves and then about 20% into engaging Development Officers with a well-defined role that includes fund raising.

As for his:

“Malcolm wants to transfer circa £200K into the ECF from the BCF/PIF according to his Election Address, how much of that would be needlessly lost to tax?”

Obviously I have considered this. I will shortly publish a road map of how these assets can be deployed to the benefit of the ECF while minimising any tax liability. We are fortunate to have an ECF NED who is a tax lawyer and I have been consulting him on this matter.
Silver Members really deserve better representation.

I would also like to set the record straight about a number of misleading statements sent out by Mike Truran in a ‘message to Council members’ on Sunday 19th September which do not stand up to basic fact-checking.

FACT-CHECK #1: Mike Truran claims that funds transferred to charitable funds outside ECF control are subject to more oversight.
NOT TRUE – It’s different oversight. ECF nominees to the Chess Trust & the John Robinson Youth Chess Trust are not accountable for how they spend funds to the ECF Board & Council. I will be proposing safeguards for any future transfers of BCF legacy assets to the Chess Trust.

In contrast, the spending of funds held directly by the ECF is democratically controlled by the ECF Board, ECF Council & the ECF Finance Committee.

FACT-CHECK #2: Mike Truran claims that I plan to use the Permanent Invested Funds transferred from the trust funds back to ECF control on “uncosted tactical adventures.”
NOT TRUE – All of my proposals to develop & grow English chess will be carefully costed out & put to the Board & PIF Trustees and run alongside a fund-raising campaign to generate income from private sponsors and government – a desperately-needed campaign that has been noticeable by its absence under this CEO.

FACT-CHECK #3: Mike Truran claims that the existence of three employees of the non-profit educational charity Chess in Schools and Communities on the 12-member ECF Board would represent a threat to good governance.
NOT TRUE: Firstly, only 2 CSC candidates are standing for voting Director positions, the other stands for Chair of Governance. Mike seems to be a little forgetful if not hypocritical here. If it is a governance problem having ECF directors from the same organisation, why was this not raised at any time in the three years prior to October 2020, when three 4NCL Directors (Mike Truran, Alex Holowczak and David Thomas) sat simultaneously on the ECF Board?
Also, as an educational charity, CSC is mainly focused on teaching chess in primary schools, it rarely interfaces with the ECF, while 4NCL is a for-profit private limited company, whose leagues and congresses compete to an extent with ECF events and already give it lots of votes at ECF Council.

FACT-CHECK #4: Mike Truran claims that I recently stated I would hand over to a new CEO after a ‘time-limited period,’ rather than serve a full term in office.
NOT TRUE: Of course, if elected I intend to serve the full term. This may refer to an email exchange from July 28, nearly two months ago, at a very early stage of negotiations between me, Mike and the Non-Executive Directors, when I thought it was still possible to reach a compromise on the way forward without a contested election. I made strenuous efforts to reach agreement with Mike, but his rejection of every offer to meet him halfway has left me no option but to stand for CEO to achieve the objectives that I believe are in the best interest of English chess.

There are, however, two circumstances in which I would consider leaving the post early:

1) Arkady Dvorkovich decides it was all a mistake, he wants to jack it in and he asks me to replace him as FIDE President.
2) Everton win the Premier League.

Place your bets.

ENDS
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Post by Hok Yin Stephen Chiu » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Seeing the developments and statements issued regarding the Directorate for Women's Chess, I do shuddered to think how this contest for Chief Executive, has created a very detrimental impact on the ECF - certainly not a good look for the English Chess world. Within competitive chess, 90% of players are probably men, so it's a real shame to hear when either candidate for the Womens Chess Director are described as on either Mike's/Malcolm's group, as if, the two candidates weren't independent individuals in their own right.

The agressive nature of the campaigns/cliques, with statements and repostes, here and there, and behaviour of delegates, including ourselves, is making the ECF look childish, "he's on his side, she's on their side"...

Hopefully, we raise the debate, and focus only on details of spending plans/policy.
G. Secretary, https://WarwickChessAlumni.blogspot.com/
Delegate - Leamington
FIDE Arbiter

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:41 pm

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:36 pm
Hopefully, we raise the debate, and focus only on details of spending plans/policy.
The trouble is that these are not the only things at issue here.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:30 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:43 pm
NOT TRUE – All of my proposals to develop & grow English chess will be carefully costed out & put to the Board & PIF Trustees and run alongside a fund-raising campaign to generate income from private sponsors and government – a desperately-needed campaign that has been noticeable by its absence under this CEO.
There he goes again. Fund-raising and sponsorship.

Development Officers need to raise £24k a year just to pay for themselves. If Malcolm knows where there are people in England willing to give an extra £24k a year to English chess, why has he not already asked them in his several years as International Director, during which the International budget has inflated to about twice that figure? Alternatively, why has he not already captured that revenue stream on behalf of CSC, who on the face of it have a more donor-friendly mission than even the ECF?

If he'd wanted to pay some international player salaries by organising, say, a gala chess-boxing night with a recent World Champion on commentary, Malcolm is the last person who'd think he needed the CEO's permission.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Angus French wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:50 am
I actually had some sympathy for Malcolm in that situation. My impression was that Angus was pushing for the salaries of individual players to be put in the public domain to be picked over, something that I consider a confidential matter.
Having refreshed my memory on the dispute two years ago my statement linking it to "individual salaries" was not accurate. I would like to withdraw this remark and apologise to Angus French for any offence and embarrassment caused.

I believe the dispute at that time was a request for a more detailed breakdown of figures with regarding to the international teams which came down to Malcolm insisting that the question had been answered and Angus equally insistent that it hadn't. I felt at the time that the extra detail being demanded was excessive and not in the public interest, a view I stand by.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:50 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:30 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:43 pm
There he goes again. Fund-raising and sponsorship.
That of course was what Malcolm was going to do in the FIDE role no?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Just a quick question

4NCL Directors (Mike Truran, Alex Holowczak and David Thomas) sat simultaneously on the ECF Board?

do they take a salary from the 4ncl? as i don't know that answer and though i would asked someone who know better then me?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:02 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:46 pm
I believe the dispute at that time was a request for a more detailed breakdown of figures with regarding to the international teams which came down to Malcolm insisting that the question had been answered and Angus equally insistent that it hadn't.
That is exactly right, and I was in agreement with Angus. As I recall, the discussion went roughly

"I've already answered that question."
"In that case, for the benefit of those who of us are a bit dim, would you remind us what the answer was?"
"No, I've already answered it."

As I wrote above, Council convincingly passed a motion on the subject. As noted in the minutes, the Chairman warned us that the Board could simply ignore it, and that is what has happened.

On a wider issue, I am all for openness ( on which I find myself in agreement with Chris Fegan ) and I think it would be beneficial if Council meetings were recorded and made available. I am aware that my own recollections may not be 100% accurate and would welcome the opportunity to check them.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:05 pm

I have raised the question of salary on another thread.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:11 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:02 pm
I think it would be beneficial if Council meetings were recorded and made available.
Various moles would report what went on, in real time where there was an internet connection. Sadly two of them have now passed away.

Going back to the International financing issue, I though what Angus wanted to establish and what was stonewalled was the percentage of expenditure which went to the Women's team as distinct from the Open team.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:05 am

I see that Malcolm Pein has created a Twitter account this evening to promote his campaign:

@PeinECFcampaign