Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:21 pm

"Am I the only one who thinks that nothing could possibly go wrong with recording a meeting so that comments made in the moment, perhaps without full felicity of expression or considered reflection, can be preserved verbatim for posterity so that they can be quoted and requoted through the ages?"

Sounds reasonable. One Surrey Chess Association Secretary decided to record an AGM as he would never keep track of what was said. At the next AGM, one person, whom I will call Richard Davey, ranted at length that the Minutes were wrong as he had never said what was attributed to him. Possibly he had now realised that it wasn't very sensible. So we wasted about 10 minutes discussing this and he actually won the vote. The Secretary wasn't amused that his plan to have accurate Minutes was thwarted.

"I suspect there will be time to bring that up in A.O.B if you'd like, Nick."

Surely, time will have elapsed well before AOB?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:04 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:21 pm

It's often a close thing but it is now some time since a Council meeting did not complete its agenda. The current AGM's agenda is also quite light.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:04 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:21 pm

It's often a close thing but it is now some time since a Council meeting did not complete its agenda. The current AGM's agenda is also quite light.
Would it be possible to take the votes home and recount them? I seem to recall a precedent being set for such an activity.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:53 pm

"It's often a close thing but it is now some time since a Council meeting did not complete its agenda."

Good, that was frequently a source of anger and frustration...

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:37 pm

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:50 pm

One side's version anyway.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:51 pm

I suppose it's an agreement of sorts.

None of this alters the fact that Malcolm wouldn't have withdrawn if he had thought he was going to win.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:54 pm

There seem to be additions to the agenda arising from this compromise that those who have given directed proxies (closing date yesterday) cannot have a say on, including amending Malcolm's role. Other proposals are to be confirmed at the next council meeting, I'm struggling to see why that cannot apply to all. Has the Chair of the meeting accepted the tabling of these proposals? The changes may be good or bad, but they seem to bypass much of Council.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:57 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:54 pm
The changes may be good or bad, but they seem to bypass much of Council.
Presumably, that is the point.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:09 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:50 pm
link explaining the compromise reached
In the link, there's an admission of power blocs.
5. We will work together with Stephen Woodhouse to recruit a Non-Executive Director unaligned with either CSC or the 4NCL when Julian Clissold’s current term as Non-Executive Chairman expires in 2022.
The arbiter nexus as an unaligned third power perhaps? They do however work with both at an individual level.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:10 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:54 pm
There seem to be additions to the agenda arising from this compromise that those who have given directed proxies (closing date yesterday) cannot have a say on, including amending Malcolm's role. Other proposals are to be confirmed at the next council meeting, I'm struggling to see why that cannot apply to all. Has the Chair of the meeting accepted the tabling of these proposals? The changes may be good or bad, but they seem to bypass much of Council.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the added agenda item, particularly as the Agenda states:

Any Other Business
To consider any other business, notice of which has been given to the Chairman of the Meeting and which is of a minor nature only. Matters of substance may not be raised under this heading except in terms of information or a preliminary notification of important business for a future Meeting.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:40 pm

I'm not sure what I can do, having given my vote away, but if these items are indeed added to the agenda, I hope enough people present will demonstrate their unhappiness with this subversion of process and reject the items en bloc. Attendees are at the very least owed an explanation as to why we were advised of a compromise deal through social media last Sunday, but details of that deal were delayed until Thursday.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:48 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:40 pm
I'm not sure what I can do, having given my vote away,
I do not know your circumstances, but surely you can still impose conditions.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:53 pm

I gave my proxy to the Chair not to another representative. The chair can only vote as directed on specific items, and I can't direct on additions to the agenda. That is why substantive amendments are not supposed to be admitted. Closing date for advising of attendance and proxy arrangements was yesterday.

I don't want Malcolm Pein having more influence than he has at present, I thought that view was shared by many, but it seems the proposed deal ignores that sentiment.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:30 pm

'I've invited Tim Wall via British Chess News to apologise for his role in the election campaign. It would be nice if Chris Fegan did the same, but I'd settle for him withdrawing from the election on Saturday, otherwise I might take a toilet break rather than listen. And I agree with Mick Norris that the attacks on John Reyes have been unacceptable. Malcolm should personally acknowledge that to Council in my view. And if Fenella really did feel as Nick Faulks alleges that her campaign was nobbled, then that too shouldn't be ignored. There may be a peace of sorts, but the healing process must start quickly.'

And none of these ideas have been touched upon by the latest statement. Chess politics doesn't have to be done like this.