Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Robert Stern
85%
Chris Fegan
15%
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 53

Chris Goodall

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:52 pm

John Foley wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:10 pm
When I suggested you read the article I was rather hoping you would be able to struggle past the first paragraph. The second paragraph begins:

But what about the other members of the board – the directors? They play vital roles on the board, add value to the decision-making process, and have a major impact on the overall success of the organisation. To source directors that will provide value, whilst also delivering business continuity, a succession plan must be in place for all board members, particularly the chair and committee chairs.

I rest my case.
You do? Alright! Your Honour, I move for summary dismissal of the charge that I failed to read past the first paragraph, on the ground that I quoted the second-to-last paragraph to the plaintiff and he didn't notice.

Thank you, everyone else, for knowing the difference between appointed directors and elected ones.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:49 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:37 pm
Another complaint published today:
That's the problem with a Complaints process, you get people using it for the sake of it. Nevertheless, despite the consolidated reports presented to AGMs, this report gives the impression of a divided and fractious Board.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:51 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/complai ... ation-5-2/
This is just rank nonsense.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:01 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Are there no shallows to which he won't stoop?

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:01 pm

A few more lost cases and Malcolm will not have to raid the 'piggy bank'. The lost fees will be enough to finance everyone's plans :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:01 pm
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Are there no shallows to which he won't stoop?
And yet there are 7 votes here although they include members reps I assume.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:30 pm

Another waste of 50 quid.

Raise it to 500 and have done with it.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:47 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:01 pm
A few more lost cases and Malcolm will not have to raid the 'piggy bank'. The lost fees will be enough to finance everyone's plans :D
I was thinking the same; it doesn't cover the time wasted though

No wonder Julian has looked stressed at MCF meetings
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:16 pm

Anyone else get the feeling that this frivolous coup is falling flat on its face?

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:54 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:16 pm
Anyone else get the feeling that this frivolous coup is falling flat on its face?
I don't know. I get uncomfortable flashbacks when I hear candidates questioning the integrity of the voting process before the election has happened. It plays well in certain places. Hopefully none of Malcolm's supporters storm the ECF office in Viking helmets.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:35 am

Question for Chris Fegan.

I believe the Board passed a resolution banning ECF directors from posting in this place, without the specific consent of the CEO.

How did Chris vote on that resolution?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:42 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:35 am
Question for Chris Fegan.

I believe the Board passed a resolution banning ECF directors from posting in this place, without the specific consent of the CEO.

How did Chris vote on that resolution?
Chris is unable to reply to your question as he is yet to obtain consent of the current Board.

Possibly the ban will be lifted should there be a change to the gagging order.

INF3_0274.jpg
Careless talk costs votes
INF3_0274.jpg (50.42 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Last edited by John Upham on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:26 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:06 pm
And yet there are 7 votes here although they include members reps I assume.
I was implying some criticism of the members reps that they are representing themselves as neutral while in fact supporting Malcolm. In some cases not neutral to the extent where I believe that is why they became a members rep. I don't mind people supporting Malcolm, I'd encourage it if they think he is the best candidate. But pretending to be neutral when not doesn't seem correct to me. So now I am myself no longer open minded about this election, I should probably say so before commenting on how it relates to the CEO election in other threads.

I'm too lazy to look up the correct political science terms. But as I understand it the extent to which institutions can be or should be neutral is a matter of debate. In relation to the ECF, governance is the thing I most want to be neutral. I imagine that is true of many if not most members.

I don't think Chris is neutral, either on the issues or in his relationships with other groups. Since I think this role has to be, I don't really see any realistic scenario where I would vote for him.

I might consider a "none of the above" vote if Robert has really been doing the job poorly, or is not at least trying to be neutral. Maybe I will see some evidence of that at the AGM, but at the moment I don't see any reason not to vote for him.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:26 am

I might consider a "none of the above" vote if Robert has really been doing the job poorly, or is not at least trying to be neutral. Maybe I will see some evidence of that at the AGM, but at the moment I don't see any reason not to vote for him.
Paul

You will hear evidence at the AGM and I am looking forward to explaining to the ECF Council how the system of ECF Governance within and without the ECF Board has fallen into disrepute over the last 2 years mostly due to the actions of one of two individuals.

I must stress that I do not include Robert Stern in this category but challenging Robert for the role of Chair of Governance was the best way that I could bring these matters to the attention of ECF Council members at this time. The whole system of ECF democracy and the wishes of ECF Council have been subjugated to the whims of one or two individuals in the last 2 years who have tried to restrict and limit information and debate to a select few and the "in-house" campaign to silence me and others has been relentless since 2019.

Chris