Page 1 of 6

Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:04 am
by Carl Hibbard
So for continued voting.

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 am
by Paul Cooksey
I understand why the CSC group were unhappy with Robert's position on several matters. But so unhappy they would want to lose the voluntary services of a lawyer? Remarkable.

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:38 am
by NickFaulks
Paul Cooksey wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 am
I understand why the CSC group were unhappy with Robert's position on several matters.
Do you? Which ones?

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:47 am
by Paul Cooksey
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:38 am
Paul Cooksey wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 am
I understand why the CSC group were unhappy with Robert's position on several matters.
Do you? Which ones?
I doubt I have any special insight. But for clarity, making the point I understand rather than agree.

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:55 am
by NickFaulks
Paul Cooksey wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:47 am
I doubt I have any special insight. But for clarity, making the point I understand rather than agree.
I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps Chris's election address will clarify.

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:19 am
by JustinHorton
I think it means that a couple of recent complaints have not gone their way (and Paul does stress that he doesn't agree).

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:47 am
by NickFaulks
But complaints don't even fall under Governance, so it can't be that. Anyway, I shall say no more until we have seen the addresses.

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:34 pm
by Paul Cooksey

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:00 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
<pedant>Crikey</pedant>, but yeah, contrasting views.

My intial comment would be to ask who has been making these Official Regulation 5 complaints? It would be up to the electorate (given the appropriate details) to decide if the current system has been unable to deal with them in a satisfactory manner, or if the complaints were vexatious.

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:03 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Seemingly Chris Fegan wants to address constitutional reform. The ECF spending meeting time on a parallel issue, director's terms of office, was criticised by Tim Wall. Was that this time last year or earlier this year for the Finance meeting?

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:31 pm
by J T Melsom
Does Chris Fegan need to be Chair of Governance to recommend reform of processes? Is it not more important that the Chair of Governance has relevant professional experience? And I await other posters illuminating me further about the remit of governance, but am still scratching my head about how the Chief Operating Officer of CSC can demonstrate independence if he is working for the Chief Executive of CSC. I'm sure the current arrangements can be improved but I can't readily see how replacing Robert Stern does this.

Others may have a different memory but as I recall it one of the issues with the Labour Party handling of anti-semitism was that those administering the process were seen as partisan by nature of their appointment, so the politics of accused and accuser became at least as important as the formal charges.

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:06 pm
by Chris Goodall
"A successful search for replacement and crucially female Director of Women’s Chess and a unique delivered succession plan and shadowing process." - Chris Fegan

Hm.

I have heard great things about Aga, but as someone who believes normal UK norms of democracy have declined to a very low level, it's unfortunate that Chris Fegan should have overlooked the fact that his successor needs to actually be elected to the post.

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:21 pm
by John Foley
Chris Goodall wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:06 pm
as someone who believes normal UK norms of democracy have declined to a very low level, it's unfortunate that Chris Fegan should have overlooked the fact that his successor needs to actually be elected to the post.
I cannot speak for the UK but in England it has long been recognised as vital to prepare succession candidates for the board so they hit the ground running (see for example Institute of Directors). ECF and Chris Fegan should be commended for following best governance practice.

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:16 pm
by J T Melsom
'Chris Fegan should be commended for following best governance practice.' :roll:

Re: Chair of the Governance Committee 2021

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:18 pm
by Chris Goodall
John Foley wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:21 pm
Chris Goodall wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:06 pm
as someone who believes normal UK norms of democracy have declined to a very low level, it's unfortunate that Chris Fegan should have overlooked the fact that his successor needs to actually be elected to the post.
I cannot speak for the UK but in England it has long been recognised as vital to prepare succession candidates for the board so they hit the ground running (see for example Institute of Directors). ECF and Chris Fegan should be commended for following best governance practice.
That whole piece is talking about appointed directors. Did you read it?