Statement of support for Aga Milewska in the 2021 election for English Chess Federation Director of Women's Chess.

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

Re: Statement of support for Aga Milewska in the 2021 election for English Chess Federation Director of Women's Chess.

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:32 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:18 am
Thanks Lawrence.

I'd like to take this opportunity to pretend I did know who Jo and Rayelynn are but had momentarily forgotten who Jovi is, in case I ever meet them in person.
I've met Jo briefly when she was an arbiter at 4NCL Div 3N in Bolton a couple of years ago, so I'm ahead of you there Paul :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Goodall

Re: Statement of support for Aga Milewska in the 2021 election for English Chess Federation Director of Women's Chess.

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:50 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:03 am
I'm sure members of the forum will be wishing her well for the future.
Absolutely. Fenella 2024!

Finding yourself running against a candidate who's been shadowing the post for a year is a rum do. Doing that and then finding yourself winning the election because people don't like your opponent's friends, more so.

On the other hand, contested elections are divisive, there's no way around it. I would say healthy debate about issues is possible when we know how your position differs from that of your predecessors.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:33 pm

"Yesterday evening , following a period of careful thought, Fenella Headlong decided to withdraw her candidature from the election for Director of Women's Chess. She has made a statement about this which is being placed on the ECF website where the Election Addresses have been published. Her own address has been taken down. I would ask forumites to read it before making further comment here."

In case anyone else has failed to notice, the Election Addresses have been altered without fanfare and now show only Fenella's Withdrawal of Nomination. Her original Election Address is deleted from history.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:38 pm

So? It's no longer a relevant document for the meeting

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:41 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:33 pm
"Yesterday evening , following a period of careful thought, Fenella Headlong decided to withdraw her candidature from the election for Director of Women's Chess. She has made a statement about this which is being placed on the ECF website where the Election Addresses have been published. Her own address has been taken down. I would ask forumites to read it before making further comment here."

In case anyone else has failed to notice, the Election Addresses have been altered without fanfare and now show only Fenella's Withdrawal of Nomination. Her original Election Address is deleted from history.

This is great shame and I wonder if any way I am to blame? Fenella and I chatted for some time on Sunday the 19th at Badger Farm Community Centre during the Hampshire Junior Tournament.

She told me of her vast past chess experience and her election campaign and her determination to be independent of any coercion from above whoever the new CEO would turn out to be. I felt that she had an excellent chance of being successful. I also mentioned that I had zero voting capability and my concerns of the dysfunctional and undemocratic nature of ECF Council.

She seemed very confident of a good campaign and wished he rival candidate well.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:38 pm
So? It's no longer a relevant document for the meeting
Then neither is its withdrawal.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:23 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
I was interested in the contents of Fenella's election address, but I neglected to download a copy of it.

If anyone did so, please would you post it here.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:26 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:23 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
I was interested in the contents of Fenella's election address, but I neglected to download a copy of it.

If anyone did so, please would you post it here.
Fenella gave me a hard copy on Sunday which I could scan in I suppose.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:41 pm

I can see the address here https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... adlong.pdf, but can't see the withdrawal. Have I quantum leaped to last week?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:41 pm
I can see the address here https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... adlong.pdf, but can't see the withdrawal. Have I quantum leaped to last week?
Thank you Paul. I didn't think to try that.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:55 pm

Happy to help David. But that is the only place I could think of to look so I have not seen the withdrawal. Can someone post the link?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:55 pm
Happy to help David. But that is the only place I could think of to look so I have not seen the withdrawal. Can someone post the link?
This?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 pm

Sorry to hear about Fenella's withdrawal. I think she would probably have won.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:18 pm

I spoken to fenella and she does read the forum

I just want to said she was down to earth and also the chief executive issue overshadow the woman issues as I did feel that people accused her of being in Mike camp and her statement was spot on
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well