Members' Representation

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Gilbert

Members' Representation

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:40 pm

Apologies in advance for this rant or if this has been raised elsewhere.

It's clear that the mechanisms for Membership representation aren't working and need urgent reform. It came to my notice this afternoon that five of the Direct Members’ Representatives (2xGold, 1xSilver & 2xBronze) have nominated Malcolm Pein for the Chief Executive job, without consulting their respective memberships. This isn’t how it was meant to work. Frankly it’s nothing short of a hostile power grab. They're supposed to represent us not follow their own agenda. These are our votes not theirs, at least that's what I thought. I’d urge you all to write to your respective representatives to demand they withdraw their nominations (they probably won't?) then consult and vote at the Elections to reflect their members’ views - either for Malcolm or Mike - not their own prejudices. They are:

Gold
[email protected] Rob Willmouth
[email protected] Lorin D’Costa

Silver
[email protected] Tim Wall

Bronze
[email protected] Aga Milewska
[email protected] Chris Skulte

John Upham

Re: Members' Representation

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:48 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:40 pm

It's clear that the mechanisms for Membership representation aren't working and need urgent reform. It came to my notice this afternoon that five of the Direct Members’ Representatives (2xGold, 1xSilver & 2xBronze) have nominated Malcolm Pein for the Chief Executive job, without consulting their respective memberships. This isn’t how it was meant to work. Frankly it’s nothing short of a hostile power grab. They're supposed to represent us not follow their own agenda. These are our votes not theirs, at least that's what I thought. I’d urge you all to write to your respective representatives to demand they withdraw their nominations (they probably won't?) then consult and vote at the Elections to reflect their members’ views - either for Malcolm or Mike - not their own prejudices. They are:

Gold
[email protected] Rob Willmouth
[email protected] Lorin D’Costa

Silver
[email protected] Tim Wall

Bronze
[email protected] Aga Milewska
[email protected] Chris Skulte

David,

Are you aware of the exact extent of the of the submissions received by the representatives?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:02 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
It came to my notice this afternoon that five of the Direct Members’ Representatives (2xGold, 1xSilver & 2xBronze) have nominated Malcolm Pein for the Chief Executive job, without consulting their respective memberships.
It has already been raised and timings suggest they put in the nominations before it was even widely known there was to be a contested election. I can see a case for the Direct Members Representatives to put their oar in if there was an ECF Director or policy particularly hated by the non voting players at large. I don't think that's the case and the rows seemingly have erupted over questions of how junior training should operate and whether now is the right time for the ECF to splurge its inherited wealth.

It is however fair to say that if you want to grow a particular area of English chess, throwing money at it is a solution. The example I think of is the English Women's Championship which not so many years ago had to be cancelled for lack of entries. It's now a competitive tournament where newcomers can challenge established members of England teams. It isn't financially self supporting though, depending on subsidies from the rest of the paying players.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:12 pm

John Upham wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:48 pm
David,

Are you aware of the exact extent of the of the submissions received by the representatives?
Your point being
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:14 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:12 pm
John Upham wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:48 pm
David,

Your point being
Luvly!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:17 pm

What was "the exact extent of the submissions received by the representatives", John?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:20 pm

Anyway can I just echo all of this from David. It's patently disgraceful that five out of six Members' reps saw fit to conduct themselves in this way and equally patently it begs the question of whose representatives they think they actually are.
David Gilbert wrote:

It's clear that the mechanisms for Membership representation aren't working and need urgent reform. It came to my notice this afternoon that five of the Direct Members’ Representatives (2xGold, 1xSilver & 2xBronze) have nominated Malcolm Pein for the Chief Executive job, without consulting their respective memberships. This isn’t how it was meant to work. Frankly it’s nothing short of a hostile power grab. They're supposed to represent us not follow their own agenda. These are our votes not theirs, at least that's what I thought. I’d urge you all to write to your respective representatives to demand they withdraw their nominations (they probably won't?) then consult and vote at the Elections to reflect their members’ views - either for Malcolm or Mike - not their own prejudices.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:24 pm

Should I change this to Malcolms reps not Members reps?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:30 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:24 pm
If it were One Member One Vote then there might be fewer disgruntled persons.

Do we have the technical know how in the ECF to migrate to OMOV or is this all too challenging and another few years wait is required?

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:36 pm

John Upham wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:30 pm
Carl Hibbard wrote:
If it were One Member One Vote then there might be fewer disgruntled persons.

Do we have the technical know how in the ECF to migrate to OMOV or is this all too challenging and another few years wait is required?
John

If elected as Chair of the Governance Committee next month then I would draw up proposals for OMOV and bring them to the April 2022 ECF Council meeting for consideration.

Chris

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:36 pm

John Upham wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:30 pm
Carl Hibbard wrote:
If it were One Member One Vote then there might be fewer disgruntled persons
Who is disgruntled in this context? The reps, or the members?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:41 pm

'If elected as Chair of the Governance Committee next month then I would draw up proposals for OMOV and bring them to the April 2022 ECF Council meeting for consideration'.

Chris why do you need to be elected to do this?

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:42 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:41 pm
'If elected as Chair of the Governance Committee next month then I would draw up proposals for OMOV and bring them to the April 2022 ECF Council meeting for consideration'.

Chris why do you need to be elected to do this?
Because the current Chair of Governance will not

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Surely the ability to bring such proposals to Council is not limited to the Chair of Governance?

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:46 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:43 pm
Surely the ability to bring such proposals to Council is not limited to the Chair of Governance?
The proposals carry much more weight and have a much better chance of being approved by ECF Council if they come from the Gov Committee Chair and with his/her full support