Members' Representation

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Adam Raoof

Re: Members' Representation

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:20 pm

Yes I want to read it now, in case I have to give directed proxies for my votes
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:41 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Am I right in thinking that people can't just "come to the AGM". Unless they are a delegate I believe they can only attend at the invitation of the Chairman of Council (currently Michael Farthing) and even then can't do anything except watch.

Those of us with longer memories will remember that the last time we had a disputatious AGM the then Chairman of the Governance Committee made a hugely partisan intervention on the day which was much criticised and ultimately led to his resignation. One of the reasons he was so heavily criticised (leaving aside the neutrality his position required) is that by only making his views known to the closed shop of council he was preventing delegates from consulting with the players they represented.

It does seem odd that a faction that have always been vocally critical of the council system for denying the wider membership a say (and will likely repeat those criticisms if the AGM goes against them) are suddenly withholding information so it can only be for Council's ears. If there are revelations that are so damaging to those they concern, surely we can hear them now.
More documents are being produced and released all the time during this election period but I am hardly going to pre-release my election speech AND there are two ongoing and formal investigations into Mr Truran taking place which will obviously influence things between now and 16th October.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:55 pm

"there are two ongoing and formal investigations into Mr Truran taking place which will obviously influence things between now and 16th October."

"Obviously"?, "possibly", surely?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:28 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Am I right in thinking that people can't just "come to the AGM". Unless they are a delegate I believe they can only attend at the invitation of the Chairman of Council (currently Michael Farthing) and even then can't do anything except watch.
Is it going to be streamed? :wink:

I'd at least hope that it will be recorded so the rest of us can watch, or listen, after the event
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:46 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:41 pm
I am hardly going to pre-release my election speech
Many of the attendees at the AGM are likely to be under prior instructions as to how to vote. It's too late at the AGM itself to influence how these votes might be cast.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:54 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:46 pm
Chris Fegan wrote:
Many of the attendees at the AGM are likely to be under prior instructions as to how to vote. It's too late at the AGM itself to influence how these votes might be cast.
I expect Chris has realised that will work in his favour. :lol:

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:35 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
You're aware that there is a 750 word Election Address out there with your name next to it, yes?

I agree with Andrew that there can be some latitude, but not too much. Personally if my county had held a vote and told me to support a certain candidate, and that candidate behaved outrageously at the meeting, I would switch my vote to None Of The Above. I don't think I have the latitude to switch to a candidate that my constituents considered and rejected. They may have had stronger objections to that candidate than they were willing to voice.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:54 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:46 pm
Chris Fegan wrote:
I expect Chris has realised that will work in his favour. :lol:
Ian

I find it interesting that people on here don't seem to care too much about the corruption of democracy and basic UK human rights within the ECF and the use of Kangaroo courts to try people without them even knowing they are on trial, perhaps when they get the "knock at their door" from the ECF "thought police" they may take more interest and laugh less.

Chris

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:41 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:12 pm
Ian

I find it interesting that people on here don't seem to care too much about the corruption of democracy and basic UK human rights within the ECF and the use of Kangaroo courts to try people without them even knowing they are on trial, perhaps when they get the "knock at their door" from the ECF "thought police" they may take more interest and laugh less.

Chris
Yes, what a carry on.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:07 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
I find it interesting that people on here don't seem to care too much about the corruption of democracy and basic UK human rights within the ECF and the use of Kangaroo courts to try people without them even knowing they are on trial
How dare you. We care deeply about basic UK human rights. If the ECF has tried to imprison you, torture you or distrain upon your chattels without trial, those of us who are not invited to the AGM would really appreciate knowing about it. On the other hand, if the extent of the harm done to you is that one part of a volunteer-run organisation wrote to another part to express some opinions about you, then we are quite right not to care too much.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:12 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:41 pm
[
Yes, what a carry on.
Maybe you should have linked to your own starring singing role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOdgLprZCts

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:54 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
I find it interesting that people on here don't seem to care too much about the corruption of democracy and basic UK human rights within the ECF
Fantastic
Chris Fegan wrote:
perhaps when they get the "knock at their door" from the ECF "thought police"
Fantastic
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:14 pm

Roger Emerson, who follows but is not a member of this place, has asked me to post the following in his name:
Roger Emerson wrote:
1) All this talk of “a kangaroo court” is just plain wrong. The basic facts are not trumped up, but indisputable: Chris Fegan's posts deliberately breached Board confidentiality, breached Board policy on posting here, risked prejudicing the formal complaint brought by Rob Willmoth and denigrated the CEO. All these things could bring the ECF into disrepute. So the Non-Executive Directors were taking disciplinary action in respect of established and undeniable facts.

2) Tim Wall seems to recognise, although Chris Fegan does not, that ALL THREE Non-Executive Directors agreed to notify Mr Fegan of these breaches and seek remedies by him. It appears that Mr Fegan refused, so the Non-Executive Directors censured him and included that in their report to Council. I expect ALL THREE Non-Executives can confirm this, either at the AGM or before it.

3) Apparently, Mr Fegan seems to believe that his human rights are being denied through limitations being placed on his ability to post on this forum. This is based on a fundamental misunderstanding. He can abuse ECF officials to his heart's content, BUT NOT WHILE HE HIMSELF IS AN ECF OFFICIAL. One would hope that the results of the forthcoming elections will free him from this obligation.

4) I am pleased to see that “proof by assertion” gets short shrift in this forum."

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:27 pm

Roger Emerson wrote: 4) I am pleased to see that “proof by assertion” gets short shrift in this forum."
No it doesn't!

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:31 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:14 pm
Roger Emerson, who follows but is not a member of this place, has asked me to post the following in his name:
Roger Emerson wrote:
1) All this talk of “a kangaroo court” is just plain wrong. The basic facts are not trumped up, but indisputable: Chris Fegan's posts deliberately breached Board confidentiality, breached Board policy on posting here, risked prejudicing the formal complaint brought by Rob Willmoth and denigrated the CEO. All these things could bring the ECF into disrepute. So the Non-Executive Directors were taking disciplinary action in respect of established and undeniable facts.

2) Tim Wall seems to recognise, although Chris Fegan does not, that ALL THREE Non-Executive Directors agreed to notify Mr Fegan of these breaches and seek remedies by him. It appears that Mr Fegan refused, so the Non-Executive Directors censured him and included that in their report to Council. I expect ALL THREE Non-Executives can confirm this, either at the AGM or before it.

3) Apparently, Mr Fegan seems to believe that his human rights are being denied through limitations being placed on his ability to post on this forum. This is based on a fundamental misunderstanding. He can abuse ECF officials to his heart's content, BUT NOT WHILE HE HIMSELF IS AN ECF OFFICIAL. One would hope that the results of the forthcoming elections will free him from this obligation.

4) I am pleased to see that “proof by assertion” gets short shrift in this forum."
David

Roger Emerson is a well known Truran activist and propagandist and frankly a much discredited individual not least because of his recent abuse and possible illegal GDPR misuse of the 4NCL database which is currently under investigation.
His views carry little, if any weight or credence with impartial individuals.

Chris