ECF voting maths

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul Cooksey

ECF voting maths

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:41 am

Some discussion in the Women's Director thread not specific to that election which I intended to comment on:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:Commercial Director: Bob Kane lost to nobody
Director of Home Chess: John Foley lost 42 to 250 votes against Alex Holowczak
Director of International Chess: Malcolm Pein lost 139 to 142 to David Openshaw
Although:
In fact Malcolm Pein won his election on recount
Nick Faulks wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:The question for election watchers, has anything changed in the last 6 years that will reverse the strong trend in 2015/2016 of votes not favouring CSC candidates
Yes, they have done a very professional job of getting hold of the Member Rep votes.
I think probably the baseline is last years Home Director election which was Towers 168 - Wall 92. More recent, and John was facing a different nexus, which was quite annoyed he had called it a nexus.

But I don't think it is quite as simple as looking a direct members and new orgs and seeing if candidates with better reputations such as Malcolm or Chris could close that gap. Quite significant numbers of orgs which probably ought to vote with Mike or Malcolm if they have thought through the policies. But I don't think either of those close to an overall majority, so the non-aligned matter. Although possibly I am just trying to make myself feel important.

Jonathan Bryant

Re: ECF voting maths

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:51 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:41 am
I think probably the baseline is last years Home Director election which was Towers 168 - Wall 92. More recent, and John was facing a different nexus, which was quite annoyed he had called it a nexus.

But I don't think it is quite as simple as looking a direct members and new orgs and seeing if ....
Interesting comment Paul. No doubt you're right. Things change over six years. Even in the English chess world.

After all - and I say this using logic, common sense and precisely zero inside information - it would be strange for Malcolm to launch his election bid now if he had absolutely no expectation of winning.