Maximum 5 years of ECF Service to prevent abuse.

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Maximum 5 years of ECF Service to prevent abuse.

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:45 am

I was director for congress chess from 1981 to 1996, but ended up with another year to 1997. I also took on the role in 2008 for a year.
Effectively I have been manager of senior chess since 2002 , but am seeking a successor in late 2022. I was secretary of the FIDE Rules Commission for 20 years.
However, I told Mike Truran, before Malcolm withdrew his candidature, that his current role should definitely be limited much as Charlie recommends. The difference is that this is the Chief Executive and fresh blood is definitely desirable. When I took on the BCF Chairman role in 1996, I made it clear that it would just be for three years, as was the custom in those days.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:45 am
I was director for congress chess from 1981 to 1996, but ended up with another year to 1997. I also took on the role in 2008 for a year.
Effectively I have been manager of senior chess since 2002 , but am seeking a successor in late 2022. I was secretary of the FIDE Rules Commission for 20 years.
However, I told Mike Truran, before Malcolm withdrew his candidature, that his current role should definitely be limited much as Charlie recommends. The difference is that this is the Chief Executive and fresh blood is definitely desirable. When I took on the BCF Chairman role in 1996, I made it clear that it would just be for three years, as was the custom in those days.
There are numerous examples of leaders who have continued to have good ideas and the necessary energy levels to continue for decades rather than years. Alex Ferguson - widely regarded as the greatest football manager of all time - managed Manchester United for 25+ years while his great rival Arsene Wenger managed Arsenal for 22. I don't recall a widespread suggestion, except perhaps from supporters of rival clubs, that either should have been replaced within five years. Individuals should be judged on merit, not by following dogma.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:02 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 am
Alex Ferguson - widely regarded as the greatest football manager of all time - managed Manchester United for 25+ years while his great rival Arsene Wenger managed Arsenal for 22.
The Wenger example might suggest that 20 year term limits would be a good idea, whereas the Ferguson example points the other way. The things just don't work.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:11 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:02 am
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Alex Ferguson - widely regarded as the greatest football manager of all time - managed Manchester United for 25+ years while his great rival Arsene Wenger managed Arsenal for 22.
The Wenger example might suggest that 20 year term limits would be a good idea, whereas the Ferguson example points the other way. The things just don't work.
Ferguson didn't have the easiest of starts, taking 3 years to win a trophy and 7 to win the league. Allegedly the cup run in 1989-90 saved his job.

Wenger had a much more immediate impact winning the league three times including two doubles before the appearance of Abramovic and building the new stadium led to stagnation and selling their best players.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:20 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:11 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:02 am
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Ferguson didn't have the easiest of starts, taking 3 years to win a trophy and 7 to win the league. Allegedly the cup run in 1989-90 saved his job.

Wenger had a much more immediate impact winning the league three times including two doubles before the appearance of Abramovic and building the new stadium led to stagnation and selling their best players.
I picked two examples from the sports world. I could instead have chosen successful business leaders such as Michael O'Leary, appointed CEO of Ryanair in 1994 and still there, or Terence Leahy, Tesco chief executive from 1997 to 2011. Capping it all, although I don't want to start a controversy over royalty, there's a lady who inherited her position in 1952 and is still at work - understandably, a little less actively - at age 95.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:15 am

There seems to be some sort of assumption made that incumbents are hogging a precious and financially lucrative position that scores of other candidates could do better, but I think anyone who has been to any sort of chess meeting will know it is uncommon to have even two people vying for these unpaid posts.

When it comes to chess officers, I am of the opinion that as long as an individual remains motivated and is doing a good job they can have the position as long as they want it.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.